Author Topic: DISPROVE THIS  (Read 108350 times)

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
Re: DISPROVE THIS
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »
Quibbling is definitely not what I'd be doing over those potatoes. Drooling? Yes. Savoring? Probably. Chomping on them like Cookie Monster? Abso-friggin-lutely.

(Red Russets are my second favorite potato.)

POTATO MONSTER NOM NOM NOM NOM ;D
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
But the "depending on the person" IS my point. I don't see why you're agreeing yet applying the label of "false" when I not only used the term "most" but pointed it out. Saying that it's partially false because you believe you're an exception is like my saying "Some people lie" and your responding "That's partly false, because I don't lie". See?

The first and second sentences there are diametrically opposed to the third. Did the third perhaps fail to specify "a lot of pain from others/society"?

No, because quite frankly I consider myself alot smarter than most of the populace and able to get away with (ie NOT GET CAUGHT AT) a great many crimes and societal taboos if I engaged in them.   My first thought isn't "but what if i get caught and they put me in federal pound me in the butthole jail?" its "how could I ever look at myself in the mirror after I did that?" followed by "plus if you didn't do it right you'd get caught."
Its an afterthought not a main cause.

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
No, because quite frankly I consider myself alot smarter than most of the populace and able to get away with (ie NOT GET CAUGHT AT) a great many crimes and societal taboos if I engaged in them.   My first thought isn't "but what if i get caught and they put me in federal pound me in the butthole jail?" its "how could I ever look at myself in the mirror after I did that?" followed by "plus if you didn't do it right you'd get caught."
Its an afterthought not a main cause.

But is that "how could I look at myself in the mirror" thought in addition to society's influence, or BECAUSE of society's influence?
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.

Offline Reil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
So wait, Molly is society now?  Soy confusado.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:28 PM »
But is that "how could I look at myself in the mirror" thought in addition to society's influence, or BECAUSE of society's influence?

I think its because I'd be disgusted with myself for the actions I commited.   Whether thats nature or nurture is a tad above my speculatory paygrade (but i'd be willing to go with nurture for the most part and perhaps an inborn protective instinct as a supplement), and is fairly moot in any case since we aren't talking about an individual in state of nature (where there would be no society to foist those pesky morals on us) but an individual that exists in society.  
What matters is that its not fear of punishment that stops me, but simple disgust with the actions in question.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »
The use of rape as an example in this discussion ends right now. Touchy topic. Don't go there.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
So in Changes, when
(click to show/hide)

This discussion is confusing.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
point taken.

Back on topic of OP:  I like the time travel theory, if for no other reason than I like molly's character and would love the development it would take to get her from Molly to Mab.
Somehow I don't see it happening though.

Conversely, maybe harry is the Erlking (or thomas)?     Same situation of problematic time travel, just sub in harry (or thomas since he's a hunter) for molly and erl for mab.     Think about it, the erlking is such a bad mofo, but one of the aspects mentioned about him is that he's a PROTECTOR OF CHILDREN.   Sound like anyone we know?

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »
So when Harry eats potato hash browns in front of Marcone while Molly is waiting in the car, does that make Hendricks and Gard Cowl and Kumori?

This discussion is confusing.

it does indeed, but only if the potato hash browns have bacon and cheese on them.    The bacon is the dead giveaway  ;D

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
Did we ever get this statement sorted out?

"Who NEVER uses whatsoever power they have to get what they want? = Who wouldn't use whatsoever power they have to get what they want."

Because they do not equal each other. "Who NEVER uses whatsoever power they have to get what they want? = Who is so pure that they have NEVER, EVER used power to get what they want?"

Cause I my eyes start to glaze over when people argue different arguments and they think they're arguing the same point.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2010, 09:26:05 PM »

"Who NEVER uses whatsoever power they have to get what they want? = Who wouldn't use whatsoever power they have to get what they want."

Because they do not equal each other. "Who NEVER uses whatsoever power they have to get what they want? = Who is so pure that they have NEVER, EVER used power to get what they want?"

Cause I my eyes start to glaze over when people argue different arguments and they think they're arguing the same point.

I took that statement to read the same as "Who DOESNT" use whatsoever etc   
If thats not right I plead the quitting of caffine.   My poor brain lacks fuel

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
I think people use what advantages they have to achieve their goals. Criminals/psychotics may be more harmful, but taller people can reach higher shelves and get struck by lightning first.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2010, 09:29:32 PM »

No, no, no, it's all wrong.

Who NEVER eats potatoes whatsoever power will get to date the past future present Molly, who really wants Harry.

There, I fixed it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
Long as Molly keeps her hair dyed to something dark, I'm okay with dating her ;0

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
So in Changes, when
(click to show/hide)

Yes... for the moment. *dramatic eyebrow*
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.