Author Topic: DISPROVE THIS  (Read 108339 times)

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
Re: DISPROVE THIS
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
They are small potatoes. In a large close-up. *hairy eyeball*

I hate menus that do that.

;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
I WILL ALWAYS QUIBBLE OVER NEW (SMALL) POTATOES.

Step back from the potatoes and nobody gets hurt.

Quibbling is definitely not what I'd be doing over those potatoes. Drooling? Yes. Savoring? Probably. Chomping on them like Cookie Monster? Abso-friggin-lutely.

(Red Russets are my second favorite potato.)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2010, 07:44:47 PM »
Peoples!

while I am no moderator, could we please take the discussion of the moral values of evil, potatoes,wether the christian god is corrupt, and wether or not rape is justifiable somewhere other then my silly little Molly is Mab thread?

I belive Ashton may have a thread for such things.

It is under the 'please close your eyes and stand still holding this target sign' thread.

The Evil Duck and Her Dalek Minions Thank You
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
Peoples!

while I am no moderator, could we please take the discussion of the moral values of evil, potatoes,wether the christian god is corrupt, and wether or not rape is justifiable somewhere other then my silly little Molly is Mab thread?

I belive Ashton may have a thread for such things.

It is under the 'please close your eyes and stand still holding this target sign' thread.

The Evil Duck and Her Dalek Minions Thank You

Molly/Mab IS potatoes. Sweet, yummy, tasty, satisfying potatoes.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
I think we took this too far.

The potato analogy that is.

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2010, 07:47:46 PM »
Molly/Mab IS potatoes. Sweet, yummy, tasty, satisfying potatoes.

Does that mean that Molly's lack of nookie is now considered the great potato famine?

Edit: And Ms. Duck. I already tossed the keynote of this into the "Please answer this Jim" bucket at the top of the forum. Its an interesting idea that could use some clarification from Jim.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »
Does that mean that Molly's lack of nookie is now considered the great hunger potato famine?

Irish historians can get surprisingly snippety about that. Whiners...

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »
no just that truly is addicted to spuds.

;D

thank you for being silly again.

If we let this slip into TT turf, it could invoke the wrath of the elder mods.

Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »
Thank you I now have visions of naked Molly doing The Mashed Potato

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
or the unseelie Monster Mash?

Winter's mother voiced her gloom
frozen cries rang from her tomb
whatever caused the queens amis?
"But I wrote the Unseelie Twist!"

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
no just that truly is addicted to spuds.

;D

That was a Weird Al song, right?

thank you for being silly again.

If we let this slip into TT turf, it could invoke the wrath of the elder mods.

Silly is my middle name. Aakaakaak Silly AakaakAAKaakak is my full name. :D

==============

Lol, The Mabster Mash.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
or the unseelie Monster Mash?

Winter's mother voiced her gloom
frozen cries rang from her tomb
whatever caused the queens amis?
"But I wrote the Unseelie Twist!"
They did the Twist,
They did the fairy twist,
The fairy twist,
Queen Mab  was really pissed,
They did the Twist
She slammed her fist,
They did the twist,
They did the fairy twise

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
BP, if I'm reading correctly, I believe you're misunderstanding what Curly's saying. He's saying that th impulse IS in ALL of us (or close enough to all as not to matter). The only thing stopping most people is the probability of punishment, NOT because they "wouldn't do it" - they don't want to face what would happen if they got caught.

I'd say that is equal parts true and false, depending on the person.    Some actions I simply will not commit, even if I didn't get caught, because of how I would view myself afterwards.  

Its more about psychological egoism to me:  seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.   The pain of my guilty conscience outweighs the transient pleasures partaking in numerous and sundry activities would provide me.    The fact that if caught I would be in for a lot of pain is a secondary factor.  The immediate thing stopping me from participating is : how would i live with myself afterwards.    At least thats how I see it.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »
I'd say that is equal parts true and false, depending on the person.    Some actions I simply will not commit, even if I didn't get caught, because of how I would view myself afterwards.  

But the "depending on the person" IS my point. I don't see why you're agreeing yet applying the label of "false" when I not only used the term "most" but pointed it out. Saying that it's partially false because you believe you're an exception is like my saying "Some people lie" and your responding "That's partly false, because I don't lie". See?

Its more about psychological egoism to me:  seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.   The pain of my guilty conscience outweighs the transient pleasures partaking in numerous and sundry activities would provide me.    The fact that if caught I would be in for a lot of pain is a secondary factor.  The immediate thing stopping me from participating is : how would i live with myself afterwards.    At least thats how I see it.

The first and second sentences there are diametrically opposed to the third. Did the third perhaps fail to specify "a lot of pain from others/society"?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »

If I were making a big deal out of something small, I would start using provocative language, ad hominem attacks, rude capitalisation. I would stop using terms like "I believe, I feel, I think, it may be that". If I were to make a very big deal out of it, I may, possibly, even point to my sig and explicitly say it was non-applicable for this post. But it is applicable.
 Without getting into accepted standards of proof, subjectivity and relativity and such, I stated an opinion which you seem to be taking issue with. You haven't disproved as far as I can see, and although I don't think it's likely that you'll disprove it, I would like to hear, in a detailed explanation, why you disagree.
 The word I used was "whatsoever" which is generally defined as something in the ballpark of " one or some or every or all without specification". I did not say  "all people, use every means in every case to get what they want". I have not said this, which is why you telling me that "all people use every means in every case" is not true, reads to me as a non-sequitur.

This is not what I described It is. It is not, however, what I described. I was talking about psychopaths. A term which I believe has fallen into disuse among respectable psychologists, but which is usually taken to mean a person who feels little empathy for other or who enjoys making others suffer.
 What a sociopath appears to be.
 While I don't agree with this, it isn't relevant to what I said, so I won't comment upon it.
 That is almost, but not quite, exactly what I did not say. Which is cool, but not relevant.
    Yes. You appear not to understand the distinction between [ANY] as found in most dictionaries and [ALL] as found in most dictionaries.
The existence of society is to my mind indicative of the fact the people are bastards, psychopaths, disgusting savage animals - but ones who have the rationality to agree not to kill each other because they understand that most of us can dish out much more than we can take.

People use seduction, lies, fear, suspicion etc to gain advantages. They make people feel bad, sometimes for personal gain, sometimes for nothing more than the pleasure of seeing a person cry. I think most of us are like that. Maybe you don't, do you?

Which is why I think that gaining power won't fundamentally change a person, it will simply reveal who s/he really is.

I think Harry is a person who genuinely cares about people, which is why I would not object to his acquire great power, and trust him to use it with great responsibility.

so youre saying that brute force isn't "one or some or every or all without specification" means within your power of accomplishing a goal?  ;D   Do you see the problem with that?

Whatsoever and any are two ways of saying the same thing, something that is very common in the english language.    Perhaps you didn't mean to use whatsoever and meant to specify more?

Ive simply  been pointing out that your statement embraced faulty logic.   If people used whatsoever (or as you define it: one or some or every or all without specification) means within their power of getting what they wanted things would be much much different round these here parts.  People would be shooting each other constantly for cars, mates, money, clothing, food, living quarters etc  and not just in the small numbers that do it now.   

Now lets try to steer it back on the road:

Yes, people are for the most part not very nice creatures, and rather self centered.  Like I said, psychological egoism is the closest fit i've found for why things function as they do.
Now, that being said, the more power you give someone the more choices they have (ala Jim's authorial voice in PG Father Forthill to Harry, and something thats always rang true with me).   Giving them more choices simply increases the probability they will make a poor choice.   Also, as I said before, some people are better at wielding power and making correct or as some would define them "right" choices.  However if you give someone infinite power, absolute authority etc you give them infinite chance to Fuck Up.

To sum up:  Humans with absolute power or even limited deity level power (lets say powers of a greek god, hermes for instance.) = BAD IDEA, even if they are the nicest, most well meaning, honorable person around.
To get fully back on topic:  even harry realizes this.   thats WHY he doesn't whistle up the coin to go ape shit, or pull a darkhallow and start squishing his enemies with extreme prejudice.   because he knows he'd eventually forget himself and do something awful.  even with mab he figures its only a matter of weeks or months at most before he's off the deepend.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:58:53 PM by ballplayer72 »
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight