Author Topic: New FAQ organization  (Read 10878 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
New FAQ organization
« on: May 30, 2010, 01:48:29 AM »
we tend to recycle theories as new posters show up and reinvent them, and then one of us olf farts has to explain for the 17th time that Justin is D E D, and the new poster gets a feeling we are ebing unfreindly... may I sugest:

a who is cowl section?
what do the blackcouncil?
who blew up Murphy's car etc?

these are common thread that just get repated over ad infintum.

That was what the "Frequently Asked Questions" section was supposed to be.  It just never got off the ground, and folks started posting stuff there that should have gone in the Books/Spoilers sections.  We'd welcome any assistance in compiling a list of frequently discussed topics and links to threads where they're discussed.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
New FAQ organization
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:51:07 AM »
Yeah, the FAQ area is sort of a hot mess right now. I'm hoping Pris and Mickey can figure out what to do with it, because I'm freaking tapped. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
New FAQ organization
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:54:08 AM »
Seeings as I haven't been in the Spoilers area for awhile, due to my waiting for all the duplicate Changes threads to die off, I'm not sure how much help I'd be (as well as the fact I've only been active on the site for just over a year), but I'm willing.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
New FAQ organization
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 01:55:30 AM »
Yeah, the FAQ area is sort of a hot mess right now. I'm hoping Pris and Mickey can figure out what to do with it, because I'm freaking tapped. :)

Understandably so!  Go get some quality Evie time!

I'm in the process of sectioning off threads Jim has contributed to and moving them to the FAQ section (maybe there should be a Word of Jim sub-section?), but the effort has been stalled by some ominous deadlines IRL.  

Seeings as I haven't been in the Spoilers area for awhile, due to my waiting for all the duplicate Changes threads to die off, I'm not sure how much help I'd be (as well as the fact I've only been active on the site for just over a year), but I'm willing.

Our best defense against duplicate threads is member vigilance.  Just link me to both threads and I'll merge them!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
New FAQ organization
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 01:56:56 AM »
Spiffalicious work here. Kudos.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
New FAQ organization
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 01:57:13 AM »
I'm in the process of sectioning off threads Jim has contributed to and moving them to the FAQ section (maybe there should be a Word of Jim sub-section?), but the effort has been stalled by some ominous deadlines IRL.  

Just let me know when you're done. That's the main hold-up to doing the Big Dead Topic Purge right now. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
New FAQ organization
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 01:58:19 AM »
maybe there should be a Word of Jim sub-section?

Hmmmm. Well, let's get the stuff over in to the FAQ section first, and sort out Word of Jim stuff later? Or would you rather have that now? And how to segregate spoiler vs. non?
Fred Hicks

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
New FAQ organization
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:59:22 AM »
Our best defense against duplicate threads is member vigilance.  Just link me to both threads and I'll merge them!

Will do.  :)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
New FAQ organization
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »
And how to segregate spoiler vs. non?

- Word of Jim
- Word of Jim (spoilers)

Will that do? :D

... sorry, it's late, I'm punchy sleepy, I couldn't help myself. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
New FAQ organization
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 02:02:42 AM »
I'm thinking "Loo Tender." :D

And if someone is having a "Jesus, CALL A DOCTOR NOW" situation, they probably shouldn't be posting on the forum.

I've always been alarmed by the number of people, here and elsewhere, who are posting when they should be calling a doctor, vet, preacherman, or exorcist.  People hit something outside their experience heap or are just mentallyh overloaded and don't know how deep they're in until someone says "Jesus, CALL A DOCTOR NOW!"

Loo Tender?

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Threads for the FAQ
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 02:04:17 AM »
See a topic that comes up frequently on the boards?  That's what the FAQ is meant for!  We'd welcome any assistance in compiling a list of frequently discussed topics and links to threads where they're discussed.  Post your suggestions (with links, please!) here.

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
Re: Threads for the FAQ
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 02:06:12 AM »
Pris- Would Site support FAQs be welcome, too?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Threads for the FAQ
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:07:17 AM »
Sure!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
New FAQ organization
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 02:12:46 AM »

I should clarify that you shouldn't PM me or email me or whatever with this info.  That's what the Threads That Need To Be Joined sticky is for!

Hmmmm. Well, let's get the stuff over in to the FAQ section first, and sort out Word of Jim stuff later? Or would you rather have that now? And how to segregate spoiler vs. non?

Might be helpful to have it sooner rather than later, so I don't have to move stuff twice.  And we shouldn't need a spoiler vs. non designation.  The thread subjects themselves will have a [CHANGES SPOILERS] or whatever designation in the subject lines.

Loo Tender?

One of the ranks in the Za Guard, from Summer Knight.

Offline Heretic

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
New FAQ organization
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 02:17:56 AM »

Just wondering - will this include threads that have book signing Q&A summaries?  They are still the Words of Jim.
What if there were no hypothetical situations?