Author Topic: Mods for the Chat  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Mods for the Chat
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »
I was wondering if you have any mods in the chat? that is a place that is probably going to need mods even more than the forum does.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Mods for the Chat
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »
People are misbehaving already? :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »
Not to my knowledge  :D

I'm just pointing out something that has the potential to get messy, people who get in a disagreement in a chat can be much worse than people that get in a disagreement in a forum, at least in my experiences.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »
People aren't really misbehaving, but there's a lot of dice rolling to the point of obnoxiousness, and lots of people wanting to talk about the books when others haven't read/finished it and aren't paying attention to others asking not to give out spoilers.  But aside from that, most people are behaving quite well.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »
The chat has multiple channels, each corresponding to a different section of the board.  We mods haven't set any chat policy yet, but it makes sense to me that folks should use one of the Spoiler rooms to discuss the most recent books, so folks who haven't made it that far don't have to worry about tripping over a spoiler.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:23:26 PM »
The chat has multiple channels, each corresponding to a different section of the board.  We mods haven't set any chat policy yet, but it makes sense to me that folks should use one of the Spoiler rooms to discuss the most recent books, so folks who haven't made it that far don't have to worry about tripping over a spoiler.

*eyebrow* Have you seen thread drift on the forums? Now imagine how fast it's going to mutate in a live chatroom. *shudder* :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:28:21 PM »
It'll likely take a while for people to get used to it, and to moving around the channels.  The times the dice are the biggest issue are when there are several people talking quickly, and when the dice being rolled is something like 100d100.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 11:32:16 PM »
It'll likely take a while for people to get used to it, and to moving around the channels.  The times the dice are the biggest issue are when there are several people talking quickly, and when the dice being rolled is something like 100d100.

D'joo ever do the old MSN chatrooms in their heyday? That was MILD in comparison to those on an AVERAGE day. Chaos, HO! But fun nonetheless; I frequented one good one for a couple of years (just average convo/chatter, not oriented towards any particular thing, and DEFINITELY not a meat market). In fact, I met the woman who became my wife in that chatroom. It can be a wonderful place, chat.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »
D'joo ever do the old MSN chatrooms in their heyday? That was MILD in comparison to those on an AVERAGE day. Chaos, HO! But fun nonetheless; I frequented one good one for a couple of years (just average convo/chatter, not oriented towards any particular thing, and DEFINITELY not a meat market). In fact, I met the woman who became my wife in that chatroom. It can be a wonderful place, chat.
Nope, never used MSN.  But used AOL since you had to pay by the hour.  That's where my dislike of overusing the dice came from.  Although people there did it to be completely obnoxious, and leaving the main rooms for the more specific topics did help.  And yeah, it's one of those rooms where I met my b/f, too.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »
It'll likely take a while for people to get used to it, and to moving around the channels.  The times the dice are the biggest issue are when there are several people talking quickly, and when the dice being rolled is something like 100d100.

...Okay, yeah, no.  I'm thinking one of the first Chatroom rules is going to be "no playing with the dice roller unless you're actually playing a game, and you're in a different room from those who aren't playing.  And 100d100 is obnoxious."

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »
...Okay, yeah, no.  I'm thinking one of the first Chatroom rules is going to be "no playing with the dice roller unless you're actually playing a game, and you're in a different room from those who aren't playing.  And 100d100 is obnoxious."

... our DM, every couple of sessions, would have us roll up an index card full of pre-rolls so that he can do checks by simply adding our individual modifiers to the next roll we made. And he likes percentiles. ;D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:22:49 AM »
Yeah. We likely are going to ask people to obey a "no spoiler discussions in the public channel" policy, as well as a "keep the dice rolling to a minimum outside of any gaming channels" policy. Only makes sense.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 12:58:08 AM »
Being able to change back from a nickname to your (real name) would be nice.

As for thread drift, that /will/ be a huge problem in a room with opinions in real time. People are people, they get into a chat and they /talk/ . Much to the detriment of folks that might not want to listen to it.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 01:00:48 AM »
Does /nick by itself, without a nickname, reset you? I would expect it to.
Fred Hicks

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 01:03:35 AM »
never tried that. Not real intuitive to do that, but thanks for tip.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."