Author Topic: Question on Vampires  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Michael,HandofGod

• Participant
    • View Profile
Question on Vampires
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:10:17 AM »
Is there any technical reason that a character could not be both a White Court Virgin and a Red Court Infected?  Or even a White Court Vampire and a Red Court Infected?  I'm sure that it isn't possible, but I can't find anything that says it is, or why it might be.  Any thoughts?
I don't believe in things that go bump in the night.  It's more like a thud...

One, two!  One, two!  And through, and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went gallumphing back.
                                            ~Lewis Carroll

Offline Walker_Blade

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Vampires
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:18:27 AM »
Bpth Transformations involve getting a demon grafted to your soul, I imagine said demons don't like to share.

Offline GoldenH

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:06:06 AM »
It should only be impossible if the books say it is impossible, and I don't see any reason for it to. I think that Red Court Vampires less strap a monster on you as turn you into one - and why shouldn't one Demon prey on another if it has the opportunity?

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
I think it might be a bit like being both the Summer Knight and the Winter Knight.  It could happen, but not for very long; not so much the matter/antimatter thing, but more that your two hungers would consume you in quick order and turn you into a ravening insane monster.

Not a good PC, but an excellent adventure's threat.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
From a rules-system point of view there is no real reason why it shouldn't work. The templates are more like examples of possible character types in any case. So you could theoretically create the "Pink Court infected Virgin" :-P A White Court Virgin with a Red Court Infection.

It doesn't fit into my understanding of the Dresdenverse though.

But lets say it could happen, then that's how i'd picture it:
1. A full White vamp would be protected by his own demon against the invading Red-Demon.
2. A White court virgin... i'd say having two demons battling for control in your mind, soul and body... only two outcomes here, either you go hopelessly mad, or one of the demons takes charge and destroys the other completely.

So, technically possible, but imho not fitting for the Dresdenverse.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »
2. A White court virgin... i'd say having two demons battling for control in your mind, soul and body... only two outcomes here, either you go hopelessly mad, or one of the demons takes charge and destroys the other completely.
I see a third outcome - both demons weaken each other, leaving you in-charge, to paraphrase the tagline for Blade, "All of their strengths, none of their weaknesses."
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
In Blood Rites, One Ear seemed to imply he could turn Laura into a Blampire when they were feeding on her. At least, that was my assumption.

P.133 paperback.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline gaelvin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
Here's how I see it breaking down;

As the "most human" of the Vampire Courts, a White could be killed and transformed into a Black. A White's Hunger would probably make it immune (or at least resistant) to a Red's venom and the Red infection, so could not become a Red (or a Pink).

A White Court Virgin, on the other hand, does not yet have the "benefits" of the Hunger, and so no protection from Red Infection. Whether a Red Court Infected White Court Virgin would ultimately become a Red or a White would depend on how it first killed. By blood-feeding? Red Court. Emotional Feeding? White Court. I'd see it kinda like a Changeling's Choice; one or the other. But up to that point there could be some crazy Compels on the opposing Vampire Aspects.

Offline McConaughey1984

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
Michael,HandofGod thank you for broaching the subject that has been on my mind for a time. The whole pink gray dark red vampire question has been plaguing my waking hours. As a question of game mechanics I feel that court mixing is doable, the Dredenverse ok not ok aspect is a murky one. First I think we must determine if the different courts are just different flavors of the same demon interacting with our world or is each one a unique type of demon. At this point I don't recall Jim differentiating the demons other than weaknesses and feeding. Until Jim says or writes on the subject I say GM's discretion     

Offline gaelvin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 02:02:26 AM »
I only remember the term "demon" being used when referring to the White Court's Hunger.

Anyway, it seems to me that the three known Courts can be classified thusly;

White Court: Arguably half-human, with a demon (the Hunger) riding shotgun.
Red Court: Former humans metamorphosed into creatures. The dual nature only comes into play in regard to Red Court Infected. Once they kill, there is a physical change and they're no longer human.
Black Court: They are the Undead, rather than simply re-animated corpses. They are the kind of entities necromancers wish they could create.

As for the Jade Court...