Author Topic: new chat feature. (show the love)  (Read 10311 times)

Offline cstanley1976

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • My Library Thing book catalog
new chat feature. (show the love)
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »
first off i apologize if this is not the appropriate spot to post this.  i didn't feel like private messaging Iago and bog him down with it was right. 

the new chat feature is AWESOME!  I've used a lot of different chat websites before and this one is one of the best i've ever used.  easy to change rooms.  has a nice interface.  i love love love love it.  will totally use it.  and once more people start using it all the rooms will be in use too. 

thank you thank you thank you. ;D ;) ::) :P

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: new chat feature. (show the love)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:55:05 PM »
It seems to be testing out pretty well. It doesn't handle server downtime well at all, but that's to be expected. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 02:59:25 AM »
It's good for what it is, but...yeah, it ain't my cup of tea.  I like having threads I can come back to and see what folks were talking about, being able to coment on what a friend seven time zones away might've said at 2am my time, and just plain being able to multi-task on the internet without getting lost.  A chat window like this one pretty much demands full attention, and most of the time that's just not something I can do.
I think there's much more value in having a board where people can just shoot the breeze and be dorks in a few threads rather than being restrictued to using a chat function.  My $.02. :-\
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 03:45:02 AM »
Pharaoh, the problem lies in the recent history of these boards. Persistence (i.e., posts that don't fade away over time) has led to MAJOR social problems from time to time in these forums; people have shown a terrible tendency to burrow down through the days and find something to piss themselves off over. *shrug* Much as I enjoy the general ability to have a continuing conversation that preserves itself over time, the mods have had to put out fire after fire because too many people just can't control themselves (all of us included, to be sure), and that's a real pain in the ass for an understaffed, volunteer group of mods.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:57:52 AM »
Consider it a blast shield to protect the forum from my growing urge to nuke it all from orbit (it's the only way to be sure).

I've had YET ANOTHER person take their time ON A FRIDAY FUCKING EVENING to re-re-re-report a post -- along with a nice big long goddamn rant about the moderation duties performed by my volunteer and largely uncompensated staff -- on a thread that is DEAD AND LOCKED AWAY.  A post that's days old, in a thread that won't be allowed to revive.

In fact, the whole Angst Corner thing is likely to get flensed from existence shortly. It's encouraged people to be toxic and worse to CONTINUE TO GRIND AXES. I mean, for the love of the gods, people. There's an OIL SPILL THE SIZE OF NEW YORK on our national doorstep.  EVERYTHING THAT'S SAID HERE IS LESS IMPORTANT THAN THAT.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:31:14 AM »
I like the chatroom.  I'm hoping it will soak up some of the 15 or so threads that are pages and pages of:

*hug*

*hug back*

*glomp*

It gets hard to find anything worth looking at, and I prefer to do that sort of rapid fire posting in chatrooms.  Chatrooms aren't for enduring discussions.  They're for chatting ;)  It's a nice room, too.  Not overwhelming with features or flash that really just get annoying.  (Well, my computer lives on mute.  Can't speak to the sounds.)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Purple

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:35:28 AM »
I Love THE NEW CHAT FEATURE YAY! WOO!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 04:35:44 AM »
Truthfully, Fred, I've been wondering why the Angst Corner has been allowed to live for this long, but that's another discussion entirely...

Still, I said my peace about the chat.  I'll truly miss Mac's, and my Secret Hollowed Out Volcano in Weird.  I hope something like the Mac's we all remember comes back - somehow I doubt we'd have all become friends with the late Bob in a chat, nor would we have all stood trembling at the threat of Helen's pun dumpster if not for the persistence of chatting threads.  

I'm not claiming to have answers for the stupid things people do (like reporting a post in a dead, locked thread...I mean, really...).  You can't fix stupid.  I suppose there might not be a "right" answer, but I don't see myself spending much time in chat...that's just me, though.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 04:39:22 AM »
Mac's will likely come back, but in a reduced, more focused form. Silly stuff and positivity, great! Angst and touchy stuff, bad! One-liner posting avalanches --- hopefully taken to the damn chat room. If your signature is taller than your post, its usually a hint you didn't have that much to say. :)
Fred Hicks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 06:35:15 AM »
That I can get behind.  Hmmm...  *takes  a look at his sig, then this post*  I need about eight more sentences...hang on, I'll be back later to finish up...

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »
Mac's will likely come back, but in a reduced, more focused form. Silly stuff and positivity, great! Angst and touchy stuff, bad!

It's always good to have SOME sort of persistent-conversation place, what with all the differing time zones and work schedules represented in here. I think your condensed version could work well.

One-liner posting avalanches --- hopefully taken to the damn chat room. If your signature is taller than your post, its usually a hint you didn't have that much to say. :)

Hmph. I have a lot to say. I just don't feel the need to say it all at once. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
If your signature is taller than your post, its usually a hint you didn't have that much to say. :)

Hah.  I can think of some that almost never have that problem

Hmph. I have a lot to say. I just don't feel the need to say it all at once. ;D

I'm with Shecky on this one.  ;D  When I start topics, I post what I want to say, all of it.  Which usually results in about three paragraphs of posits, thoughts.  And, because I write it like an essay, I don't have much to do except direct those questioning me back to the title post for my arguments, which usually results in the thread dying.  And I digress.  Much like the threads in the spoilers section.  ;)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 01:47:56 AM »
Mac's will likely come back, but in a reduced, more focused form. Silly stuff and positivity, great! Angst and touchy stuff, bad! One-liner posting avalanches --- hopefully taken to the damn chat room. If your signature is taller than your post, its usually a hint you didn't have that much to say. :)

/looks down at signature.

ouch.

quack.

:'(
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 02:14:39 AM »
I should mention that we have a sig size guideline:  It shouldn't be any taller than 5 lines of text, or 75-80 pixels (with the exception of Remember Bob sig icons).  Also, avatars should be less than 125x125 pixels, with the standard 100x100 being preferable.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:16:24 AM by Priscellie »

Offline Sorryman105

• Posty McPostington
  • Come into the dungeon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
/looks down at signature.

ouch.

quack.

:'(

Awww *notices his own sig* Ooops....
Forevermore we shall giggle and snicker in our rightful place, this place, OUR BAR!