Author Topic: Characters and devolpment  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Characters and devolpment
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:24:26 PM »
I have had this idea for a series for a long time, it is a modern fantasy in london, it is pretty complicated cause there is a lot going on, i would decribe it to you but i havent the time, so basicly i am having trouble devolping the main character, i have been able to do every one else, especially side characters. now i have been planing to redo somethings before i set out to do it, but the probablem is i dont know how to devolp the main, and some of his relationships with others
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Characters and devolpment
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:21:39 AM »
What aspects of characterization do you feel are lacking? Do you feel the character is bland? Are you having a hard time finding his/her voice? Are you uncertain of how he or she would react to certain situations? We may be able to give some better advice if we knew some of the specifics.

In the meantime a couple of suggestions:

Consider how your protagonist reacts under stress. I think that's a good litmus test to find out more about him or her. I think that people tend to show their true colors when they're exposed to dangerous, frightening, or otherwise contentious situations. Often times the more that's at stake, the more honest and raw the reaction will be.

Consider what makes you so set on having this person as the main character. It seems like the other characters are coming around more naturally. Is there any reason why one of these other characters couldn't be the main character instead? Could you tell the story from a diffferent POV? Would the story still work? If not, ask yourself why you're really sold on this character being the star of the story. Write a list of reasons why and see if anything inspiring jumps out at you.

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:30:48 AM »
well, he absolutely has to be the main for the first, but the second is more his friends book, but the third he is incredably important. as are a wealth of side characters.
i guess he just feels a bit bland to me when he isnt blowing things up. for example, there is a part where a friend of his is killed, so he decides to pull a harry but worse, way worse. i mean blowing monuments worse
i have devopled him a litte bit since i put up this thread, but not a lot, he is just offically a smart ass. i have been rewriting a lot of things, for example i am making the conflict for personal to him, and giving him a reason he is doing it. but still, i guess i will have to put a lot of time into him, and ask myself questions, like what you said
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:32:41 AM by Vash »

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:38:32 AM »
Maybe....

Give him a "not so manly" hobby, but not too unmanly?
Barbershop Quartet?
I'd say polka music, but Jim's already used that.
Stamp collecting would be too dull.
Bug collecting/rock collecting?
Professional tyco track racing? (What? It's racing! It's manly! Right?)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »
Make sure he fits the time and place first. Make the rules, then break em!

For example, do your research and find out what kind of man in his economic bracket with his level of education is common in modern London. Does he had a college education? Were his parents wealthy? Did he grow up in poverty? Is he a long-lost member of the royal family? Or is he the son of an IRA general and an English malcontent? These things will affect what social level he could potentially be.

Then once your character is a standard NPC of London, break those rules. If he's poor, make him a scholar who only drinks the finest wines and wears only expensive jewelry. If he's rich and well-educated, make him hide his wealth and live in a dingy apartment.

In other words, start with background first, then tweak. It makes for a much richer character later on.
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:02:25 AM »
Thanks guys, once i got this dude all plotted out, ill tell you guys about it. i intend to start writing the scenes that are totally plotted in my head when i go camping next week

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 01:53:04 PM »
Good luck with the writing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 04:19:06 PM »
thanks

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »
Bit late coming to this but wanted to add my own thoughts :D

Do you personally like or hate the main character? I mean, sometimes when character don't "jell" for me it's usually because I a) don't feel any emotion about/toward him or b) don't really know him all that well.

I think the stress test is a good idea as well (belial.1980)!
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.