Author Topic: Dresden Files RPG Notebook Wiki Tool  (Read 6216 times)

Offline huntsfromshadow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Dresden Files RPG Notebook Wiki Tool
« on: May 26, 2010, 04:34:25 AM »
I recently have been using a Wiki tool I mashed together
to help keep track of campaign elements, and notes for my Dresden games.

Figured that others might be interested in the tool as well.

If your interested it is located at http://www.dfrpgnotebook.wolfdream.net/
and is a mashup of the TiddlyWiki one file wiki system that runs on your own computer
inside a browser in html.

Thanks!
-Luke

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files RPG Notebook Wiki Tool
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:50:25 AM »
looks awesome.  I'll probably use it.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »
Looks good. Gave me ideas on using TiddlyWiki for quite a few of my own games outside of DFRPG.

One question: how did you get the editing menu buttons for each tiddler?
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline CyberMusketeer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »
Awesome, looks very handy.  I think I'll use this for my campaign.  Thanks for sharing it!

Offline huntsfromshadow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:41:20 AM »
If any of you have any suggestions let me know.

Offline gaelvin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:15:53 AM »
Maybe I just don't know how to do it (which is entirely possible), but is there a way to link the Faces to NPCs?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
Really nice. I've starting to use it, but there are some issues that have come up.
I was wondering if anyone else had the same problems, or if maybe it's a local problem with my browser... (Firefox 3.5.9., Ubuntu 9.10)

1. When i start a new tiddler using one of the "New XY" buttons it does not automatically have an according tag... and thus does not show up in the auto-generated lists in the "master-tiddlers". I suppose they should have tags, shouldn't they ?

2. There are those really nifty tables in the "Face", "Location" and "City Wide Theme or Threat" templates. Sadly they all have this automatic "undefined" entry that somehow blocks the whole table from working. Each time i have to remove that manually, to really get the table to do what it's supposed to do.
The data array looks something like this:

<data>{"new_face":"Addan","faces":"undefined\n|[[Addan]]|"}</data>

The bold part is what i have to remove each time. Maybe there is a way to have that entry removed automatically or not have it appear in the first place?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »
Maybe I just don't know how to do it (which is entirely possible), but is there a way to link the Faces to NPCs?

You could just add an NPC tag to a Face Tiddler, then use that tiddler as the NPC's main tiddler. It should then appear in the NPC list for example.

Offline caul

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
I've downloaded it and checked it out, but I have to say, I think I'm going the dead tree route (in the form of a nice leather bound journal) for all of my DFRPG notes...

Offline huntsfromshadow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:02:44 PM »
@caul
Hey no problem thanks for taking a look.

@gaelvin - I don't have a automatic way to link NPCs to faces,
but you can edit the tiddler and put [[name of Face]] in the tiddler
and it will create a link.

@tsunami
On I'll check it but if you use the 'New Face' button it should create a tiddler
with the tag 'face'. or are you using the New tiddler button?

Huh..... Undefined?  Interesting. Let me do some research on this.  

Offline gaelvin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »
@gaelvin - I don't have a automatic way to link NPCs to faces,
but you can edit the tiddler and put [[name of Face]] in the tiddler
and it will create a link.

So, would I add that edit to the Face Tiddler, or the NPC Tiddler?

It'd be nice to have it work that way, since the Faces are NPC's after all, and having all the NPC write-ups in one place is convenient.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:56:29 PM »
@tsunami
On I'll check it but if you use the 'New Face' button it should create a tiddler
with the tag 'face'. or are you using the New tiddler button?
I'm using the "New Face", "New Location", "New City Wide Theme or Threat"... Buttons that are shown inside the different tiddlers. But none of the new Tiddlers have any tags.

"New NPC", "New PC", "New Game Notes" Buttons work fine though.

Huh..... Undefined?  Interesting. Let me do some research on this.  
If you want me to send you a copy of the html with some tiddlers with that problem in it, just let me know. Might help with tracking the bug.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:01:27 PM by Tsunami »

Offline huntsfromshadow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
@gaelvin

Lets say you have a npc named Bob and the his tiddler's title is Bob.

You have a face named jason and the title of his tiddler is Jason.

You want to say link Bob to jason.
Double click (or click edit on the toolbar) of Bob's tiddler and it brings up the source. 
Underneath the code you can type something like this.

[[Jason]] is Bob's brother. They hate each other with a passion that rivals most Italian operas.

When you click done on the toolbar it will put the text int he tiddler and a link will exist so you can click through to Jason's tiddler.
Nice thing is notes like the one above follow all the tiddlywiki formating rules and so things like ! do headers.

I do want to make it more automated and it's on my list to work on when I have time.

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 11:41:02 PM »
Wow, huntsfromshadow, this is awesome.  Got even better when I found out how to get rid of all that purple.  Stylesheet Tiddler could use comments to tell what colors are what. :)

Anyway, back to the awesome.  As a GM, one of my common tasks is to make a secret die roll.  Thanks to the Magic of the Computing elves, I've now got one on my Wiki!

It turned out, making the roll was easy, actually closing the Tiddler window when I was finished was the hard part.  Oddly enough I couldn't find a built in command to close one other Tiddler rather than hitting the button.  Not familiar enough to know if I just missed it, but this method is pretty simple and will come in handy for times when I can open a group of people (like enemies in a combat) in a single Tiddler and at the same time close any individual Tiddlers for those people I have open.

For those who are interested, here's what you need to do.

First you need a way to close a single Tiddler (including the one you're calling it from), create a new Tiddler called CloseWindow, be sure to give it the systemConfig tag as it's a javascript macro
Code: [Select]
{{{
config.macros.CloseWindow = {
  handler: function (place, macroName, params, wikifier, paramString, tiddler)
  {
      var title = params.length > 0 ? params[0] : null;
      story.closeTiddler(title);
  }
};
}}}

The triple brackets around the script blocks are a Tiddly formatting code for script and will display it in a colored box to identify it.

Next you need a way to generate and display a roll of Fudge dice, create a new Tiddler called DiceRoller, also give it the systemConfig tag as it's a macro
{{{
config.macros.DiceRoller = {
  handler: function (place, macroName, params, wikifier, paramString, tiddler)
  {
      var die1=parseInt(Math.random()*3)-1;
      var die2=parseInt(Math.random()*3)-1;
      var die3=parseInt(Math.random()*3)-1;
      var die4=parseInt(Math.random()*3)-1;
      var total=die1 + die2 + die3 + die4;
      confirm("Roll: ("+die1+" "+die2+" "+die3+" "+die4+") = "+total );
  }
};
}}}

This shows you the result on each of the four dice as well as the final result, if all you want to see is the result, change it to
      confirm("Roll = "+total );
I used confirm, instead of alert because alert beeps when called and the noise annoys me.  Click either button or hit the enter key to close the box.

Finally you need a simple way to call your roller, make a new Tiddler called FudgeDice
<<DiceRoller>>
<<CloseWindow FudgeDice>>

Lastly, to put it on your menu bar, to go the MainMenu Tiddler and add
[[FudgeDice]]
where ever in the list you want it to appear, save and reload your Wiki and you're good to go.

Now that I've got that working, my next project is a random name generator.  The macros will be pretty big so I'll have to test it and see what kind of performance hit they cause.  I hope to use the 1990 name chart from the census and make a weighted roll against the 1000 most common first and last names for both males and females.  If nothing else it will give you something to say the next time a player looks in the wallet of a nameless thug he just knocked out or wants to know the names of the patients on a hospital floor.  ;D

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 02:17:34 AM »
This is pretty nifty.  Now I just need an ultramobile pc or a tablet pc.

CableRouter.  You might want to see about using some sort of database look up to avoid duplicate names.  "Another Mr. Smith?  Where is ****ing Neo when you need him?"
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.