Author Topic: Glamours  (Read 1952 times)

Offline McConaughey1984

• Participant
    • View Profile
Glamours
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
Hey I just wanted to see if I could get a consensus or perhaps a ruling from the designers, I,m in a game and one of my fellow PCs has glamours that he used to veil an object. The GM wanted him to mark off a mental stress like with evocation ( I'm playing a wizard so the GM just finished boning up on magic rules) My friend said that in the description of Glamours it does not say it requires a mental stress ( we looked at the description and it does not YS 166) but it is still quick magic. for the moment we just moved on but we would like to see what the designers/other players think.

Offline mroehler

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Glamours
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:23:53 PM »
It's not spellcasting, it's just a supernatural ability. It costs -2 refresh. And hell, Faeries seem to glamor practically everything. I say no way it costs stress if it doesn't say it does in the rulebook.

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:32:54 PM »
Moreover, it doesn't even reference evocation or spellcasting in the description of the power - it's pretty clear it's not in any way related to evocation and doesn't cost stress.

Offline AlanWhitelock

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:32:14 AM »
Generally wizards suffer stress for calling up the forces of magic because they have to channel that power.

In the case of Glamours, the source of power is generally fae in origin and it channels itself. The wielder just directs it. It's not nearly as stressful as wielding mortal magic, of course depending on why you have glamours you might be building up a different kind of debt.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »
What they said. Saying it costs Mental Stress would be in the same category as saying Breath Weapon or Claws cost Mental Stress because they're an attack power. Just because it Veils something doesn't make it count as a spell.

Offline McConaughey1984

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 10:36:08 AM »
thanks all I now can ring a clear consensus to the GM