Author Topic: Items of power with the same abilities  (Read 3300 times)

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
Items of power with the same abilities
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:26:42 PM »
I have a player that would like to have a pair of pistols similiar to the infamous Colt from the Supernatural TV show. I know that the cost is bundled into one category, but how would you cost two items with exactly the same abilitites? Cost it as one pistol and give it a reduced bonus due to multiple items? I'm kinda stumped.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Items of power with the same abilities
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »
I would treat it as one item. They are a matching set so to speak.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Cajun Guy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »
Not if each one has its own charges and damage. For example, if the guns do weapon 4 damage, fine but if individual gun does weapon for each then you have to pay. Otherwise it is a free way to get extra damages, charges, etc.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »
you can have the item of power power only once anyways ... dual wielding is just flavor in this system anyhow.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:11:06 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
Yeah, and guns aren't gonna get bonus damage or bonus anything else for being a pair unless he's got Stunts for that (which he'll have to pay for in their own right). And a pair of revolvers won't have any more ammo than a single pistol. I'd just count it as one item, and NOT give him FP for a Compel when he only loses one of them (since he still has the other).

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:41:08 AM »
Okay just refresh peoples memories of "the Colt" from supernatural,

Quote from: From Wikipedia, edited to remove spoilers
The 1836 Colt Paterson, Texas[119]—usually referred to as "The Colt"—was made by Samuel Colt for a paranormal hunter. According to legend, anything shot with it by one of its thirteen original bullets will die, including creatures normally immune to any and all weapons... The last bullet is then used to kill a demon, though it is later repaired to allow the use of more bullets...There are five things in creation that the gun cannot kill.

The gun used in the series is actually a replica Colt ball and cap gun modified to fire metallic cartridges.  On the barrel of the gun is inscribed the Latin phrase "non timebo mala", meaning "I will fear no evil".  On the handle is a carving of a pentagram, with much of the finish removed to give it an aged appearance.  The props department also has a rubber version of the Colt to be used in fight scenes for pistol-whipping.

The writers have discussed the possibility of a spin-off following Samuel Colt and a group of hunters in the Old West.

This is a really powerful item, much on the same lines as a sword of the cross.  It can satisfy every monsters catch.  I love the roleplaying aspect of limiting the number of times it can be fired.  IE the Bullets and the gun have to work together in conjunction.  But whats the point if you can shoot it an unlimited number of times?

So yeah, treat it as 1 magic item.  Its just a pair of pistols.  And limit the rounds/charges.

Perhaps the six-shooters, the gun belt, and holsters have been passed down, and each time the item is passed on, it renews the number of bullets.  13 bullets for each new generation.

That would be a powerful legacy.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:01:51 AM »
Okay, there's actually a BIG problem with that as an Item of Power: No Refresh costing powers in the Dresden Files have limited uses. If it's got limited uses, you definitely shouldn't be charging them Refresh for it. Just make them spend a Fate Point to use a bullet when they do so, that's how the Swords of the CDross work. In fact, the Swords of the Cross do literally the exact same thing...and have unlimited uses.

Now, if the Guns do something else, even without those bullets, charging for that is, of course, perfectly reasonable, but charging for the bullets is unnecessary and somewhat unfair.

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:07:36 AM »
Okay, there's actually a BIG problem with that as an Item of Power: No Refresh costing powers in the Dresden Files have limited uses. If it's got limited uses, you definitely shouldn't be charging them Refresh for it. Just make them spend a Fate Point to use a bullet when they do so, that's how the Swords of the CDross work. In fact, the Swords of the Cross do literally the exact same thing...and have unlimited uses.

Now, if the Guns do something else, even without those bullets, charging for that is, of course, perfectly reasonable, but charging for the bullets is unnecessary and somewhat unfair.

Okay but the gun in supernatural "kills anything shot".  One Bullet.  One Kill.  Big Bad refresh 40 monster.  Dead one shot.  Your telling me spending a Fate point makes that okay?  I don't think so. 

Unlimited bullets if the gun simply does the same thing a sword of the cross does by satisfying the catch for every monster.  I would be okay with that.  Cause you would have to shoot big bad monsters several times to kill them.

But the unlimited "kills anything shot" I am having a problem with.  But then again I don't let my players have Nukes.  EVER.

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:17:43 AM »
This is definitively NOT a nuke. I did imagine them being something similar to a Sword of the Cross, being able to meet all catches, but that was about it. I just wasn't sure how much they would cost. My big problem was the whole two guns deal. Together, or separately, how do you pay for them?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:19:32 AM »
Actually it doesn't, a kill shot will kill something that can't normally be killed by gun, however there is at least one instance where the colt is used to inflict a leg wound to Azazel while possessing John Winchester, the non-mortal shot doesnt kill Azazel but forces him out of John Winchester's body. This lends credence to the idea that it is simply satisfying the catch (mechanically) and its the shot itself that kills the opponent, not the supernatural power.

As for the question, I'm afraid I have nothing constructive to add... on that score.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »
The extra gun does not give you any new powers. The only thing it effects is loan-ability, which still needs to be powered by fate points.

I'd likely ask for some kind of stunt for being a two-gun gunfighter and add the extra gun as a free bonus once you have that. Then again, if I was running a game, I'd be much more eager to steal one away every so often if you had two then if you had one...

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »
Definitely treat the pair of guns as a single item.  They're an identical power and identical effect mechanically, which happen to have the aspect "Two guns are better than one".  Pretty much.

If it helps, just don't think of it as two pistols; think of it as a single pair of pistols.

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 03:35:56 PM »
So on those notes, would it be possible to use a Stunt similiar to "Two Gun Joe" from SOTC as an applicable stunt to using two weapons in combat?

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »
For base multi-weapon attacks...  Well, a single (normal) pistol is a Weapon:2 at your base Guns skill.  Due to the difficulty of coordinating it, I'd say two pistols would be either a Weapon:3 (or 4?) attack against a single target at -1 skill, or two Weapon:2 attacks against two targets at -2 skill as a single action.  Skill penalties are severe, but I'm not sure of a better way to handle it off the top of my head.

Unless there are already rules for it I just don't remember?  :)

But either way, you could then take a stunt to reduce the penalty from multiple weapons by up to 2...

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
Just remodel the Dual Wield weapons stunt for guns and you are golden. :)