Author Topic: Tools for running DFRPG Online  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Tools for running DFRPG Online
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:49 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a couple of tools to reccomend for those of you that are thinking of running a session online.

First and foremost is Googlewave- this has been an absolute godsend to us, especially as I'm currently living in Japan and the players are all back in England.It keeps everyone on the same page and is dead easy to use. Made City and Character creation an absolute breeze since everybody is able to edit and comment on each others posts.  Theres also a dice rolling bot with fudge dice pre-programed in. 

I realise that not everyone can get hold of googlewave as its in beta which is why its lucky that I have a bunch of invites. Consider it my gift to such a helpful community.

Secondly is Cacoo.com. Its a website where you can collaborativley draw pictures with others. Why is this useful? It has a suite of "stamps" which work exactly like word art does and has most of the same shapes and functions. Filling, colouring, adding text, grouping objects, sending objects forward or backward etc. On top of that you can save and export the drawings and have multiple tabs open at once.

Since everyone can view and everyone can edit creating zone maps takes barely any time at all and best of all you can create small icons to represent the characters that can be moved around the different zones which can really help keep track of how everything is going.

It requires sign up but it is free to do so.

Ihadris

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Tools for running DFRPG Online
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »
It's true. Googlewave is awesome to coordinate RPGing online. My group and me use it frequently to keep each other posted and organize gaming sessions. It came real handy with City creation too, because it has things like Google Maps embedded in it.

If anybody is interested... I have some invites left (not many though). Sent me a PM and I'll see what can be done. Usually you get your own invites after a couple of weeks. Shouldn't be to difficult to get it on your own either. All I hear is, that the first hype has worn of Google is eager to get more testers...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:13:31 AM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Tambryn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:47:37 AM »
I would love to get a google wave invite. This would be a god send to my efforts to run online rpgs. A little more info on the Fudge Dice rolling utility or app would be awesome as well. My email is (shanelwalden at yahoo).

Thank you very much to anyone who can assist me.

Tam

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:22:04 PM »
All I hear is, that the first hype has worn of Google is eager to get more testers...
I had no idea what the current status on it was, just that I got an invite very early on and have only recently started using it for DFRPG and only sent invites to my players, thus I have quite a few spare going on.

I would love to get a google wave invite.

Hey Tambryn, is that at co.uk, .com, .co.jp?  :P 
You should get a few invites already built in, certainly enough to get your players in on wave too.
A little more info on the Fudge Dice rolling utility or app would be awesome as well

The dice rolling bot is called Random Lee, you add it to your contacts list through the email randomleetwenty at appspot dot com. It reads what you write so if you post 4df+5 it will roll four fudge dice add the multiplayer of your skill and caculate the result for you. (it also shows the die themselves after the caculated result, eg + - 0 +)

The one condition is that as a participant it reads everything and will collect and send data should the program crash. You can read the terms on the website and it is a reasonable thing but if your concerned about privacy there is another option which is 'Wave Dice Gadget'. There is a specific version you can add which had fudge dice support added by entering http://brentnewhall.com/temp/dice.xml into the extensions gadget that is in the featured list of gadgets built into wave.

Offline Tambryn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:21:16 PM »
Sorry about that, my email is shanelwalden @ yahoo .com.

Tam

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »
Invite sent Tam, happy gaming!

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:23:34 AM »
There's now a character sheet available for use within Fantasy Grounds II, a tool designed for gaming online. I've constructed the character sheet and intend to expand the FGII functionality for Dresden Files to include NPC sheets and combat tracker support. There's already the default story and image support.

DFRPG Character Sheet for FGII
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:42:12 AM »
There's now a character sheet available for use within Fantasy Grounds II, a tool designed for gaming online. I've constructed the character sheet and intend to expand the FGII functionality for Dresden Files to include NPC sheets and combat tracker support. There's already the default story and image support.

that looks interesting. never heard of that fantasy grounds thingi
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 12:47:45 PM »
Neither have I, looks very interesting though.

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »

Looks good, but the link seems to just be a picture of it. Where can I download the char sheet so I can use it in my FGII games?
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Khairn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:44:44 PM »
Fantasy Grounds is a VTT (Virtual Table Top) application where a gaming group can get together and play online, instead of gathering around a kitchen table.  It provides a shared "battle map" where the gm and players can move tokens around during a fight, a chat log for sharing biting taunts and Monty Python Quotes with one another, a dice roller, and a bunch of other tools to help play your RPG's online.

There are a bunch of VTT's on the market today, with some being very expensive and others available for free.  But for gamers who have moved away from their gaming group, they are a really nice tool, and a growing part of the RPG market.

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

Offline Walker_Blade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:26 AM »
Google wave has an application named dicey that was written to handle a number of dice systems, fudge dice among them.  Link: http://dice-y.appspot.com.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
Ive just discovered Googlemaps and its applications as an rp tool, and its freaking EPIC! I'm so excited by it atm. lol.

Example in its awesomeness: occult Seattle

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
Looks good, but the link seems to just be a picture of it. Where can I download the char sheet so I can use it in my FGII games?
It's available in the rulesets section of the community wiki. I could host a demo if there's interest (sat 8pm uk time?). I have an ultimate license so I can host for unlicensed connections.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
It's available in the rulesets section of the community wiki.

Yea, I checked the FGII site and wiki after I posted (like I prob should have done in the first place) and found it. One of my group is moving away and we were wanting to use FGII to keep up some RP and this will make it possible. Thanks for the work. :)
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.