Author Topic: Undertown RPG - Character Info  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
Re: Undertown RPG - Character Info
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 03:29:48 AM »
Cool characters folks!
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »
*bump*
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 01:22:17 AM »
*BUMP*

Be sure to post your most current character sheet so we can all see it!

Thanks
Mij
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »
Updating my character info.  Changed stuff is in blue  It's not much, but it's progress.  I think.  :P

Character: Erin Stephens
Template: Focused Practitioner
High Concept: Helping those less fortunate  ** this is supposed to include what my focus area is - I'm not sure how to express it succintly, though - I want to be good at potions, salves, etc.... mixtures, I guess... I use them primarily to aid in healing...
Trouble:
Other Aspects:

Skills  *** I'm over here, need to make some decisions
+4 Discipline  (high discipline = concentration and emotional control)
+4 Lore (knowledge of potion ingredients, herbs, chemicals, etc)
+4 Empathy
+3 Conviction (gives 2 additional mental stress boxes)
+3 Alertness
+3 Athletics
+2 Survival
+2 Driving
+2 Resources
+2 Scholarship
+1 Weapons
+1 Investigation
+1 Rapport
+1 Presence
+1 Driving

I get extra mental stress boxes from conviction, and extra social stress boxes from presence
for conviction, at Good, it says 4... is that 4 in addition to the 2 that are there automatically, or 4 total?

Powers
-2 Ritual

Stunts
-1 Scholarship - Capable researcher
-1 Scholarship - Medical training (not quite doctor; maybe medic-level?)
-1 Stealth - Swift and silent
-1 Survival - this may need to be -2 ?*** I think I'd like to make a new trapping - or maybe it's extending the existing trappings - based on a background of spending time each summer camping, hiking, boating, and recreational shooting and archery....the survival trapping of camoflauge + the athleticism trappings like dodging which indicate quickness + trappings from alertness that would indicate me being aware of the environment... to generate some kind of stealth, like this:
it seems to me that the simple and straight forward solution is to create a stunt (that I don't have a good name for yet) that adds a trapping to survival that reflects experience stalking and hunting and allows you to roll survival instead of stealth in certain circumstances.  That seems well within the spirit and letter of the rules and solves the problem nicely.

Focus Items/Enchanted Items
TBD

Phase 1 - Background
Only child, raised in Manhattan, played lots of sports, very competitive in nature.  Large portions of the summer spent at a family cabin somewhere relatively remote - camping, hiking, boating, fishing, learning to shoot, learning archery, etc.   [more to come?]

Phase 2 - Rising Conflict
Had to learn a lot of first aid because of sports injuries and so much time doing crazy stuff outdoors.  Decided on education related to sports and medicine - goal to be a sports therapist.  [more to come...]

Phase 3 - Story
I'm thinking either something happened when friends and I were stranded somewhere in the wilderness, or when I was out of town with a sports team.... raised my awareness of the supernatural and a skill I had in mixing ingredients that helped with healing.  

That's really all I have for now.... as I said, still needs a LOT of work... I'm hoping some of you folks can give me some ideas to bring the ideas together and polish it up!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:44:15 AM by BookLover♥ »

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 02:46:02 AM »
looks good, but you've spent 31 skill points by that write up, and you only have 30 to spend.  Consider that your first story's purpose is designed to give you a way to have connections with other PC's, so taking an option that puts you out of town might not be a good idea there.  Everything you want to happen to your character that doesn't fit with the idea of a short adventure that connects you to other PC's can be included in your Background and Rising Conflict though.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 02:53:48 AM »
Lol, I guess I needed to use my calculator....any recommendations on what to change?

I see what you're saying about the crossover with someone else...

...if it's a trip with a sports team, it could have been a trip for a tourney in San Fran, or a trip to someone else's hometown, where I crossed paths with them, and then met up with them again when I move to San Fran?

Same with a wilderness trip - if someone else is from a remote area, maybe I got stranded near them and ran into them when getting help?

Offline tordon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 04:47:45 AM »
Okay, here's an updated version of my character:
Edits in Red
Character:  Taisho Cardiat
Player: Tordon
Template: wizard
High Aspect: Wizard watchdog for the weak and talented
Trouble Aspect: So Many Mouths, So Few Hands

Phase One:  Background
Event:  Grew up in Hong Kong, the middle child of a wealthy family.  His mother is a member of the White Council, and his father has minor precognitive talents.
Aspect:  Born With A Silver Wand In Hand
Invoke:  Social knowledge of the upper class; access to family money, resources and occult knowledge, mostly through/from his mother; minor knowledge of White Council politics through his mother.
Compel:  Sticking to strong social code, helping family members or doing favors for them, obeying White Council rules and members.

Phase Two:  Rising Conflict
Event:  With his close group of friends, all with varying degrees of supernatural abilities, he was manipulated into a conflict between the Faerie Courts.  During the conflict, two of his closest friends, both Changelings, finally made their Choice and became fae.  Only one was able to survive.  Afterward, Taisho and his friends discovered that the conflict had been manufactured by the Summer Court to force his friends to choose.
Aspect:  Friend and Foe of the Summer Court
Invoke: Help with interaction with Fae; Favors owed to him by the Summer Court.
Compel: Basically, he is seen by both Courts as a good tool for manipulation due to his close friend in Summer.  Also, sometimes Summer needs to call in favors paid to him.

Phase Three:  
When the son of one of his father's business partners goes missing, presumably having run away again, Taisho steps in to help find him.  But nothing is ever as simple as it seems when the trail leads him to a string of other disappearances that hide a dark secret.
Guest Starring...:
Aspect: The Devil is in the Details
Invoke: To catch small details and to make sure what he does is done perfectly.
Compel: To miss something obvious, like a vampire charging at him.

Phase Four: Guest Star
Aspect: Exotic Tongzhi Casanova"
Invoke: Using his looks for social advantage; getting help from his boyfriend, a werepanther sculptor
Compel: Some people don't like those who are different, both ethnically or sexually; also, his boyfriend can sometimes get into too much trouble for himself to handle.

Phase Five:  Guest Star Redux
Aspect: "This is so illegal... but could you show me that again?"
Invoke:  For helping with illegal things like burglery and lockpicking, assuming he just learned how to do it recently.
Compel:  He just isn't that experienced with illegal things like burglery and lockpicking, especially quickly or under pressure; plus, he tries to stay on the right side of the law as much as he can.

Skills:
Superb (+5:) (0) none
Great (+4): (2) Lore, Conviction
Good (+3): (3) Discipline, Resources, Rapport
Fair (+2): (4) Guns, Contacts, Investigation, Scholarship
Average (+1): (5) Endurance, Stealth, Fists, Presence, Empathy

Powers:
Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
The Sight [-1]
Soulgaze [+0]
Wizard's Constitution [+0

Adjusted Refresh: 1

Specializations:
Evocation: Elements (Water, Earth, Spirit) Control (Water +1)
Thaumaturgy: Complexity (Divination +1)

Focus Items:
Rosewood Staff (Offensive control Water +1)
Silver and Jade Arm Band (Defensive control Earth +1)
Wood and Silver Bracelet (Defensive control Water +1)

Enchanted Items:
... to be determined

Rote Spells:
Angunae - Fog Cloud - (Water Maneuver: five shifts) Creates a large fog cloud that obscures both sound and vision.  Very useful in getting away from threats in city streets at night.
Godeu - Icicle Shards - (Water Attack: two targets, two shifts each) Creates two sharp spikes of ice that he launches at his enemies.
Molaegu - Sand Trap - (Earth Block: four shifts, requires arm band) Causes holes to open under the target's feet, then trapping them there.  Can work on any stone or earth; includes concrete but not asphalt.
Jalasuk - Magnet Dome - (Earth Block: four shifts, requires arm band) Forms a dome of magnetic energy that immobilizes any metal object that comes at it.

Physical Stress: OOO
Social Stress: OOO
Mental Stress: OOOO

Booklover, I think we could guest star in each others first adventures.  I was thinking somehow, a group of vampires or whatever is trying to gain power by sacrificing young men and women to a demon.  If your character is on a sports trip to San Francisco or the area, then other athletes could be targets, getting your character and mine involved together.  

If that doesn't work, then I think they should still star in each others stories somehow.  It would make sense since Taisho tries to keep an eye on the smaller-time magical practitioners in the city.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:52:34 AM by tordon »

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »
Heya folks!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to back out of the RPG.  I've been debating it for a while, trying to figure out how I'd be able to find time to learn and play given how things are going for me at work and personally.  I've come to the conclusion that this is something that I'll have to save for another time.

Have fun in San Fran! I hope to get updates now and again!!

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »
Bump!

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »
Ok...
Here's the first version of my character. Many thanks to Mij and Luminos who helped tremendously! (and all the Undertown crew... didn't mean to dis' ya)

Character: Tory Kase
Player: Fyrchick
Template: Were-form
High Concept: Were-raven bike messenger
Trouble Aspect: All That Glitters

Phase 1: Any Port in a Storm
Her high-ranking Yakuza father and her Danish mother were assassinated when she was still a toddler. The person who discovered and reported her father's perceived disloyalty and possible theft from the Family was Sato, Tsokoda's intelligence and information adviser. Sato found Tory in the apartment with her dead parents and took her home. A devout Shinto practitioner and martial artist, Sato felt the discovery of such a pale-colored child was a message from the Kami; albino and white creatures are sacred in the Shinto tradition.  Now in her late teens, Tory is fiercely loyal to Sato and has been trained in many aspects of what he does- martial and otherwise.
She also follows some Shinto beliefs and has been trained in various martial arts- with significantly less devotion than Sato would like.
She is not aware of the circumstances surrounding her parents death.

Phase 2: All in the Family
Always a bit stubborn and easily distracted, Tory discovered her wereform during puberty. Sato encouraged and helped her develop the skill, as well as focus what she could do with it.  It was during this time that her almost compulsive collecting started to become apparent when the police started to get involved. She was able to use her information and ability to "convince" the officers to look the other way...this time. She also learned more about how the Family made it's money.

Phase 3: Its the Principle of the Thing...
Aware of the Family and its demands and activities, Tory still managed to run afoul of them when she was 16.  Her mistake cost them millions- and cost her any chance of a different life. She does what she is told, no questions asked (maybe with a complaint or 2.) She must repay her debt and must serve them well since Sato will also pay the price as her foster father. It's the only honorable thing to do.
This was the first and only time she has seen or met Tsokoda, but not the first and certainly not the last time she was in his gaze.

Phase 4:
Phase 5:

Skills/Human

+5
+4 Investigation, Stealth, Deceit
+3 Alertness, Burglary, Rapport
+2 Driving, Contacts, Athletics
+1 Fists, Resources, Scholarship

Skills/Raven
+5 Athletics, Alertness
+4 Stealth, Deceit
+3 Burglary, Survival
+2 Contacts, Fists
+1 Endurance, Rapport

Powers
-1 Beast Change
-1 Echoes of the Beast: Beast Trappings (Eidetic Memory)/ While in human form can, once per scene, remember anything that she has heard or seen
-1 Wings
-1 Diminutive Size
-1 Pack Instincts
+1 Human Form

Stunts
-1 Burglary/Hacker

Languages: English, Japanese
Adjusted Refresh: 3 (?)

That's it so far. I'm still working on the details and might adjust skills and powers, but the core will be the same! Any suggestions or ideas are always good!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:09:27 AM by Fyrchick »
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:41 AM »
Nice writeup, Fyr!

For the rest of you, if you haven't posted your character yet, please do so we can all see it!  Also, we need to schedule some time when we can get together to brainstorm Phases 4 and 5.  I know some of you still need to get through Phase 3, but be thinking when you can be available!

Thanks
Mij

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:18 AM »
Character: Edward Deschain
Player: Enjorous (put my real name here the first time)
Template: Focused Practitioner
High Concept: FBI Ferromancer
Trouble: On the FBI's S**t List

Phase 1: Aspect:"I've done everything at least once"
Ed's childhood was a time of great confusion, his parents often went from sandal wearing, granola munching hippies to suit wearing middle class conservatives at a moments notice. Between those two words Edward's life consisted of, gardening,  composting everything in sight, boy scouts, FBLA, drama, music, church, Wicca Group, mock UN, mock trial, horseback riding, competitive swimming and anything else his parents could force him in to.

Phase 2 Aspect: The bureau is no place for magic
Edward headed off to college, triple majoring in English, criminology, and psychology (the multitasking was still strong within him.) This was a time of great discovery, firstly he discovered that he had the magical ability to make metal do anything he wanted (and won quite a few bets that way), discovered that he wanted to join the FBI, and lastly he discovered Jocelyn Chase. A few years later they were married, two years after that he joined the Bureau. Three years, nine months, one week, and four days after he joined the FBI her body was found by their neighbors. Despite the finding of Suicide he wasn't convinced and began investigating her death himself to the neglect of his other duties.

Phase 3 Aspect: Everything Smells Wrong
Title:
Assigned from the Bureau to investigate the corruption in city politics, more specifically the alleged support of human trafficking from Asia. There have been rumors that the local field office is on the take, and he's told that there will be no support for him. Using his few contacts in the city he sets about tracking down the source of the corruption.

Phase 4 Aspect: Low Friends in High Places
Using his contacts Edward manages to find a low level runner for the Yakuza with very high connections. Bringing her in  manages to convince her to turn CI in order to save her own neck. Now armed with information that only someone on the inside could.

Phase 5 Aspect

Skills:
Superb: None
Great: Investigation, Guns
Good: Conviction, Discipline, Contacts
Fair: Intimidation, Endurance, Fists, Rapport
Average:Resources, Athletics, Driving, Empathy, Lore

Stunts:
Quick draw: See Fast Reload but for drawing a gun.
One with the Gun: with innate ability for ferromancy Ed can become one with the gun, allowing for +2 when ever he rolls guns
Powers:
Metal: governing
Channeling [-2]
Ritual: Divination [-2]

Refresh cost: -6
Refresh: +2
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:32:38 AM by Enjorous »
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 05:27:01 AM »
One with the gun is a bit too powerful for a stunt.  The most you can get from a stunt on attack rolls (which is 90% of gun rolls) is a +1, and it should usually be given a circumstance under which it works.  An example stunt is Target Rich Environment, which gives a +1 to guns for attacks only, and only when personally outnumbered.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 12:08:11 AM »
Character: Dowan (ne: Mary-Eileen) Connolly
Player: Aine
Template: Wizard
High Concept: Pigeon-holed Wiccan Arachnomancer
Trouble Aspect: Tangled Webs

Phase 1: Don't Underestimate the Power of the Darkside
Raised as the first-born of a large Irish family, Mary-Eileen felt put upon and out of place with the strict upbringing.  She rebelled as a teen, joining a dark group with heavy Gothic and vampiric undertones.  It was here she discovered her innate talent for magic, but the three rote spells she developed during puberty could be put to unfortunate use.  

Phase 2: An'ye harm none....  
Realizing she had no interest in pursuing a dark path surrounded by dark friends, a teacher introduced her to a Bay Area Wiccan group where she learned ritualistic and channelled spellcasting.  Unfortunately, her spellcasting abilities were stunted by her Wiccan training and she can only perfom 4 thaumaturgical spells.  But she learned the Wiccan creed well.  It was here she chose her name of Dowan, from the Celtic term for Spider.  

Phase 3: Do what you will.
Still a bit of a rebel and a fiesty redhead at heart, Dowan does her best to follow the Wiccan creed, but still manages to cause trouble, overthink everything, and generally screw stuff up despite her best intentions.  She works as a docent and currator at the Insect House at he SF ZOO.

Phase 4:
Phase 5:

Skills

+5
+4 Lore, Conviction, Scholarship
+3 Survival, Alertness, Discipline
+2 Driving, Investigation, Athletics
+1 Rapport, Performance, Contacts

Rote evocation spells:

Attack: Cast Poison (water)
Block: Chitnous Exoskeleton (water and earth)
Maneuver: Partly Dissolve (water)

Thaumaturgy Spells:

Spider scout: Dowan can create a link between herself and a spider and then can direct it and see through it's eyes.  Inflicts consequence of violent motion sickness.

Telepathic sensing: Cast web, an assessment spell that acts like a ward.  Can sense the size and movement of living creatures within it's range.  Requires athame.

Magical trap door: can create an underearth trap door.  Requires athame.

Conjuration: Requires focus item of necklace.  Dowan can conjure spiders out of the material of the never never.

Requirements:  Evocation (3) and Thaumaturgy (3)

Focus items: athame and necklace
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:11:26 AM by Undertown »

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 03:56:03 AM »
bump