Author Topic: Physical "Building Block" powers as Mental or Social powers  (Read 1352 times)

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
I was thinking about the boosted physical powers in the book and it struck me that there is a lack of any power that does this for Mental or Social attributes. Has anyone tried to tie these powers to another aspect other than the physical aspect?

My intial thought was a Buddha type character, completely unflappable and serene in all environements, no matter what is thrown at them. Maybe an ancient monk versed in martial arts who has been enlightened?

Thoughts?

Offline paul_Harkonen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Physical "Building Block" powers as Mental or Social powers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »
There are several mortal stunts that improve these tracks, but I think that leaving them mostly unchanged was intentional.  Part of the point is that no matter how big and brawny you are, you can still be a coward or a wimp at heart.  Mental and social toughness are incredibly hard to develop because of some supernatural power, so the notion of them being tied only to skills and stunts that represent you working on them, rather than simply being born that way, seems right to me.

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »
I agree with you for the most part. However, there are individuals that simply aren't cowardly or a wimp at heart. A truly enlightened individual would not suffer from any of those lesser emotions.

I'm just thinking of those Major badass types that can crush your will simply by staring at you. Other than really high skills and the right stunts, I'm thinking that there might be more going on under the hood.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:51:23 PM by TheSavageMage »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:14:25 PM »
I think Epic or Legendary (or even Superb) skills in the appropriate area do a pretty good job of simulating this as much as it should be simulated.

Look at it this way, should it really be as hard for Harry Dresden (who posesses only human, though impressive, Intimidation) to piss off anything as it is for him to beat vampires to death with his bare hands? I don't think so.

In terms of offensive powers, take a look at Incite Emotion or Domination, those do what you're looking for.