Author Topic: a few small questions  (Read 2512 times)

Offline epicice

• Lurker
    • View Profile
a few small questions
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »
Hi all im back with a couple of my small questions and as always i apoligize if these questions were already posted but i couldnt find them so here they are.

1. its been determined that shapeshifting is in essence magic. Running water disrupts magic and so do threshholds so would a bird shifter flying over water begin to lose his shape? also would a cat shifter walking into a home begin to turn human?

2. this next question has been the case of quite some argument in my group

a changeling/scion are defined as half human half mystical immortal entity. So is a scion protected by the laws of magic? like would killing a scion with a magic fireball give you lawbreaker?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:39:49 AM by epicice »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: a few small questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
1. Going through running water might be problematic, but over (particularly far over, like flying) is generally fine, at least IMO. Otherwise vampires couldn't use bridges or fly in airplanes and that...doesn't quite make sense in the world presented. Going over a Threshold might indeed force you to human form...but not if you're invited, or it's your own home. Those never interfere with magic.

2. It's unclear and somewhat debatable. Personally, I'd say Changelings absolutely count as human because they can still always make the Choice and become so. Other Scions...I don't know. I'd be inclined to say that they do (at least usually, it might vary by variety), but then I usually favor fairly strict spirit of the Law interpretations.

Offline epicice

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »
what about a shark or dolphin shapeshifter with the aquatic ability?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »
I'd say that paying for Aquatic will definitely allow you to use your shapeshifting without fear of running water. I mean, you paid Refresh for the ability after all.

Offline epicice

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »
Very good point thank you very much. I only called it into question because something like modular abilities would allow u to swap aquatic in and out as needed for certain types of shapeshifter (i.e a true shapeshifter for which modular is abolutely necessary or a mimic)

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 01:22:57 PM »
1. I've always taken the, "Shape shifting is magic," thing to be Harry's perspective on the matter. I think it's a situation of a hammer seeing the world as made of nails.

So, while shape shifting is a mystical and thus "magical" ability, it isn't mortal magic as a wizard casts it. I just don't see running water interfering with the Alphas, for example.

2. Changelings are probably protected. Until they make the Choice, they're basically humans with a couple of perks. The details probably depend on the local White Council situation with the Faerie courts.

Other scions are a case by case thing. Something part demon isn't likely to be protected. Something part angel (if that were to ever happen) probably would be, for a combination of religious and pragmatic reasons.

That's my take, anyhow.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
Another way to look at it is that shape changing is not a sustained magic.  You change yourself, and then the magic is done.  Unlike something with a form made out of ectoplasm, you really are the thing you have changed into.  So if I shape changed into an orangutan, and then made a flesh mask to look human, and then walked into the water, the flesh mask would be disrupted because it was a purely magical construct made out of ectoplasm.  But as far as the river is concerned, I'm an orangutan and can walk around in it all I want.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 03:12:19 PM »
Other scions are a case by case thing. Something part demon isn't likely to be protected. Something part angel (if that were to ever happen) probably would be, for a combination of religious and pragmatic reasons.

That's my take, anyhow.

I'd say the player and GM should talk.

If you are protected by the laws, you are bound by them, and vice versa...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
1. I've always taken the, "Shape shifting is magic," thing to be Harry's perspective on the matter. I think it's a situation of a hammer seeing the world as made of nails.

So, while shape shifting is a mystical and thus "magical" ability, it isn't mortal magic as a wizard casts it. I just don't see running water interfering with the Alphas, for example.

Running water is still a threshold, which interfere with all supernatural beings, at least potentially. That's the reason I answered as I did, not because shapeshifting is magic in the way Evocation is, but just  because it's magic in that it's supernatural.

Offline epicice

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
When it comes down to it i see that all changelings are scions but not all scions are changelings. So i dont see why as long as the choice hasnt been made why all scions wouldnt be in that quasi human state that changelings occupy

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
It's not clear that all Scions have the Choice Changelings do, which might make quite a big difference, actually.