Author Topic: Next books?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline sireric08

• Participant
    • View Profile
Next books?
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:06:28 AM »
I realize that this is a bit like demanding a first class seat aftering being offered a free ride, but does anyone know about more source books coming out? 

Offline surarrin

• Participant
  • Who splattered red paint on my boat?
    • View Profile
Re: Next books?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:30:10 AM »
..It'd be pretty cool that if every few books they released another volume.

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »
As I understand the tools given in the books we already have would allow us to stat up the neccesary additions from new novels. Id be surprised if there wasnt threads here and on the yahoo group for people to do so as a group effort.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »
If more books were released, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, even if only to read the margin notes between Harry, Bob and Will.

I don't think we really need any more books, though. One of my favourite things about the books as they are is how much Will says the write-ups are subject to speculation, so groups can add, remove or change what they want. Also, Small Favour ends with the perfect balance of power to start your own campaign, in terms of both PC and antagonist options. Adding more books as the series goes on might risk creating too much of a Dresdenverse metaplot.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »
If more books were released, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, even if only to read the margin notes between Harry, Bob and Will.

I don't think we really need any more books, though. One of my favourite things about the books as they are is how much Will says the write-ups are subject to speculation, so groups can add, remove or change what they want. Also, Small Favour ends with the perfect balance of power to start your own campaign, in terms of both PC and antagonist options. Adding more books as the series goes on might risk creating too much of a Dresdenverse metaplot.

Woud be nice if we got
  • more rules/sugestions about higher refresh play (as an example: the lower Plot-Device NPC's with Stats*)
  • more examples* from the books (How would that scene look in RPG terms), especially from the later books (like
    (click to show/hide)
    )

I would be a buyer.
But I could wait for a few years, so we got more new Jim Butcher books, which could be covered in an third RPG-book.

* That could (and I suppose will) be covered by fans online, but I would still buy an third RPG-book...

Offline drnuncheon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:21:36 AM »
I have asked Fred about this elsewhere.  There are no future books planned, but that could change.  I got the impression that everyone involved wants to see how this set does first.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:00:13 PM »
I believe there have been comments to the effect that there would be threads here on the forum to address how to stat up new monsters. So basically free support for the game, which is pretty awesome.

Offline Esoteric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »
I don't really foresee the need for entirely new books, but it would be really cool if they released supplemental material (maybe a few pages long or so), stating up a few of the "tricky" things from the new books (like the blackstaff for example).

Offline Ard3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »
The Blackstaff thing:

Evocation attack
7 shifts of power, 5 to Weapon rating, 2 to effect whole area

5 stress hit should be enough to take out nameless NPCs.

Done by Ebenezar himself or by Item of Power, the Blackstaff.
Considering that Ebenezar has Conviction +5 and Discipline +6 that shouldnt be hard to do. I am assuming that the staff gives bonuses to it. The effect to his hand could be backslash.

Offline Esoteric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 03:39:13 PM »
Well part of the issue isn't just the weapon attack it can do (personally I think the attack is just something Ebenezar can do, not the blackstaff itself), but how its able to basically remove lawbreaker status from yourself.

I'm pretty sure that the blackstaff is definitely an item of power, not just an enchanted item, and its very likely that its some sort of sponsored magic. I'm just considering whether or not it has an additional power to resolve the aforementioned point, and how it would work mechanically/what it would cost in terms of refresh.

Offline Ard3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 04:21:48 PM »
Hmmm...

Just on top of my head I would rate the ability to ignore lawbreaker cost maybe 2. But restrict to Items of Power only. And make the power extremely rare.
Maybe sponsored magic with element of shadow/entropy or something similar. Demonic Co-Pilot is worth consideration.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 06:43:33 PM »
Hmmm...

Just on top of my head I would rate the ability to ignore lawbreaker cost maybe 2. But restrict to Items of Power only. And make the power extremely rare.
Maybe sponsored magic with element of shadow/entropy or something similar. Demonic Co-Pilot is worth consideration.
That's what I was thinking.  But maybe its agenda is to break the laws of magic and (immediate) repayment involves taking consequences (maybe specifically mental consequences--the kind that make you question what kind of person you are).

Mild Consequence would pay for a single sponsored fate point.  Moderate would pay for two.  Severe pays for three.  Etc.  But any credit (excess) sponsored points are only around as long as the consequence that bought it.  So if you used a Moderate Consequence for one spell (and it has to go with the staff's agenda to break the laws of magic), you still can do the next spell that also qualifies, unless enough time passes to have recovered from the consequence.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.