Poll

Which City are you more interested in Creating?  Answers will be tallied on Tuesday.

San Francisco
Miami

Author Topic: Undertown RPG ~ San Francisco: Shaking the Foundations  (Read 64572 times)

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Undertown RPG ~ San Francisco: Shaking the Foundations
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2010, 02:21:38 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work, Mij!  Can't wait to see what you come up with. 

I'll add a link and a page to the Undertown site today.  You can let me know if that's good enough for your graffiti.  ;) 

Undertown ~ Now Offering Great Rates on Storage!  Don't be detered by Malks, Gremilkin, or Winter Fae!  They only will mostly kill you.  Mostly.

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »
I will be working on the Transamerica Pyramid location on Friday.  I'm taking the day off work, and plan to make some focused time to look at the RPG stuff.

Now I just hope that the day actually goes according to plan.   :P

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2010, 04:37:12 AM »
Just wanted everyone to know -- MY MANUALS ARRIVED TODAY!

I am off to read.

I'm still planning to be around this weekend.  The document took a back seat tonight to some problems on my daughter's computer, but I'm going to try to finish up.

Mij
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
i got the books wednesday ive been reading them since then and essentially ive got more questions than answers the combat difficulties and spell casting are what i need the most help with
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »

Name: Japantown (a.k.a. J-Town, Nihonmachi, Little Osaka)
Description: Neighborhood one mile west of Union Square, six square blocks that includes a mall, hotels, businesses and residences. Mostly owned by 'outside interests'. Stronghold of the Yamaguchi-gumi, the most powerful Yakuza family in the US.

The Western Addition (J-town) remained untouched by the 1906 fire and provided a haven for the bulk of San Francisco’s burned-out population. Tent villages were hastily erected in nearby parks to provide emergency accommodations for homeless families. Later these families crowded into small apartments which Western Addition homeowners had built into the attics, basements, and wings of their homes. Many property owners raised their houses and placed stores beneath them, and additional commercial buildings were constructed alongside homes. Thus began the mixed land use which later brought restaurants, theatres, saloons, and hotels to the area, many of which are owned by local Yakuza or Japanese based business. The warren of properties makes it almost impossible to find someone hiding there.

Theme\Threat: The one place in the city where you can always find what you are looking for.
Aspect:  What Happens In J-town stays in J-town

Faces:
1. Kenichi Tsokoda: the wakagashira (1st Lt.) to the obayun (family head) in Japan. He is the Boss and final word before the Obayun. He is Berkley educated and "clued-in."
2. Sato Hisoka: Tsukoda's intelligence and information advisor. Tory Gozen's foster father and master hacker. Also clued-in.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2010, 03:23:47 AM »
Undertowners!

The initial (rough, incomplete) draft of San Francisco is ready for review, comment, and brainstorming!  I'm still working out how to get it to y'all.  Aine has graciously volunteered space on the Undertown server, so check here for a link soon!

I am putting the first couple paragraphs of our city writeup in below as a teaser:

"Welcome to San Francisco -- or Frisco, as it's known to the locals.  Gateway to the western United States for generations of people looking for wealth, power, or just a fresh start.  If we had to choose just one word to describe this city, it would be "Cosmopolitan".  It was originally inhabited by Native Americans, settled by Spaniards, governed by Mexicans, fought over and eventually bought by Americans, emigrated to by Asians, and adopted by alternative cultures -- and managed to blend them all.  Spend a day wandering the Presidio or fishing off Pier 39.  Take a tour of the city by cable car and see our famous row houses.  Explore our asian heritage in Japantown or Chinatown.  Explore our counter-culture in Haight-Ashbury.  Look for all the locations you've seen in television shows, movies, commercials (who can forget Rice-a-Roni?), books, and art.

But cosmopolitan has a bad side too.  After all, the brighter the light, the darker the shadow. Find yourself in the wrong section of the city too late at night, and losing your wallet or car could be the best you can hope for."

I'm looking for feedback, ideas, comments, criticisms, etc.!  So let me know what you think -- before I use more exclamation points!  Probably the best method is to post comments in the thread.  That way, everyone can see what's been (and is being) discussed.

Mij
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:02:21 AM by Mij »
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2010, 04:08:24 AM »
I believe the plan is to meet tomorrow night (Tuesday, July 6th) after 6 pm pacific to do character creation and stage 4 and 5 intermingling. 

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2010, 12:32:05 AM »
More News!

Several of us will be in the Undertown chat room tonight for character work.  We should be there starting around 6pm pacific, and could be a couple hours.  Feel free to join in!

Also, Aine has created a link to the current San Francisco writeup on the Undertown main page.  You can download the document there.  Please post comments here (in this thread).  That way, everyone can see what comments are being made.

Thanks!
Mij

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2010, 03:08:38 AM »
Still more news!

First off, let me just say thanks to everyone who showed up tonight for the character work.  It was great to see all of you in the chat room!

I updated the location assignments (page 7 of this thread).  Bloo has decided she probably won't have time to play, but Markkus has taken her spot.

We're still doing character and city creation.  Don't forget to put your most current character sheet in the Character thread, and look to the Undertown board (and here as well) for meetings dates/times.

Mij
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:30:35 AM by Mij »

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
Here is what I've got on the Transamerica Pyramid and Park. I couldn't think of a face to go with it... was considering a linkage to Pereira, Emperor Norton, or Bummer and Lazarus (for info, check out wiki); but also thought maybe it should be something that links into the magical energies of the location.  Any and all suggestions on a face or any other aspect of the location is very welcome!!

Name: Transamerica Pyramid and Park
Description: The Transamerica Pyramid is the tallest and most recognizable skyscraper in the San Francisco skyline and has an attached one-half acre redwood park.

Background (with embellishment):   The Pyramid was designed by architect William Pereira known for his love of science fiction (ahem), expensive cars, and a futuristic style of architecture.  Pereira had a minor magical talent, and significant knowledge of the supernatural world.  Therefore, although the Pyramid is generally seen as an example of cold-hearted corporate America, there are those who know the true power of the Pyramid.  [editorial note: I snicker, because that is actually one of the taglines for Transamerica commercials :P]

The façade of the Pyramid is covered in crushed quartz, ostensibly to give the building its pure white color.  Pereira, however, was well aware of the many mystical properties of the gemstone, in addition to those of the quadrilateral pyramid.  Based on these properties, the building is in actuality a beacon for purification of spirit, mind, and body.  It enhances health and energy, and brings balance and clarity of thought.  The aluminum panels at the top of the building are quite literally a conduit for supernatural entities to tap into these features.

The adjoining park, by nature of the redwood trees, furthers invigorates mind and body, enhancing feelings of calm, balance, and purity while providing a connection to nature that improves discipline and increases abilities for revelation.  (Both of these factors influenced the activities of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I – increased discipline led to his inspections of public properties, cable cars, and police appearance; increased abilities for revelation led to his prediction of the creation of a bridge and a tunnel connecting Oakland and San Francisco).

If you know the right places to stand, you can harness the energies from the Pyramid and the Park and enhance your own skills and abilities.

Theme:
     Idea: The power to be gained here is not what you would expect
     Aspect: A Quiet Place to Rest and Recover
Face:  
     Name:
     Concept:

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
Here's another location. This is the first write up, so its pretty sparse.

Name: San Francisco Botanical Garden (formerly the Strybring Arboretum)

Description: 55 acre nature/botanical preserve near Golden Gate Park. Is one of the few “DMZ”s in the US: a de-magical zone where magical surveillance and activity is strangely absent. Provides cover for all kinds of meetings and conversations. Also the main source of materials for local herbalists and healers.
The garden sits over a large moving aquifer/underground river which can be accessed in the garden if you know where to look.

The garden has many tangled paths and foliage, providing good cover for all manner of assignations and lots of open space for other...activities. The density and variety of the garden makes it appealing to all sorts of magicals-good and bad.

Theme: The place to go when you don’t want to be seen

Aspect: Step Into My Office

Face: Gracie Smythe-Hawkins. Director of the Garden, master herbalist, anthropologist and wizard. Advisor and Watcher for the White Council.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
Heya folks!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to back out of the RPG as well.  I've been debating it for a while, trying to figure out how I'd be able to find time to learn and play given how things are going for me at work and personally.  I've come to the conclusion that this is something that I'll have to save for another time.

Have fun in San Fran! I hope to get updates now and again!!

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2010, 12:28:56 AM »
Heya folks!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to back out of the RPG as well.  I've been debating it for a while, trying to figure out how I'd be able to find time to learn and play given how things are going for me at work and personally.  I've come to the conclusion that this is something that I'll have to save for another time.

Have fun in San Fran! I hope to get updates now and again!!

I'm sorry to see you go Bookie -- I was looking forward to having you in the group.  Hopefully we'll be able to include you later!

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2010, 03:21:50 AM »
Heya Folks!

I'm currently finishing up the San Francisco writeup.  Several of you have provided really good ideas and suggestions, and I'm busily trying to get them all into the document.  Thanks to everyone for all their work and support so far!

Also, I haven't been able to log into the chat room for a few days, and I apologize.  Work has been very busy.  I will try to be in the room for character work for the rest of the week.  Or send me a PM and we'll set a time to get together.

I'll try to get the next draft writeup out this weekend.

Mij

Offline tordon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
Mij, I must say the write-up is super exciting to read!  I can't wait for it to be finished! 

I did want to say a couple of things.  I don't know if you're planning to include characters in the section about different factions in the city, but my character is involved with both the White Council and the Paranet.  And I'll have a write up for Chinatown and San Francisco up by Friday.