Author Topic: Evocation attack or maneuver...or both?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
Evocation attack or maneuver...or both?
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »
How does it work using the Dresdenverse system to do called shots? For example, A PC aims and shoot at a target's legs, ultimately to cause damage and reduce any movement. How does it work?

What are the penalties?

Is it simply a sticky maneuver? Or is it a normal attack where any consequences would likely be in the line of "wounded leg"?

Offline paul_Harkonen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation attack or maneuver...or both?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
It seems to me that this would depend greatly upon what you're trying to do.

Called shot to a weak point (eyes, head, etc.) seems like invoking an aspect that already exists, pay your fate point (or tag) and take your +2

Called shot to weaken the enemy (trips, attacking knees etc.) seem like maneuvers.  You can then use your tag (or one of your own fate points) to compel them not to move, to miss, etc.

Additionally, you could (after working with your GM) roll your attack normally, see how you do and how much damage, and if there are any consequences.  Based on what consequences are available and what you wanted to do, you can describe your actions and pick consequences based on your called shot.

I tend to prefer the last option, I decide a general goal, throw the dice, and then based on what is shown the GM or I describe precisely what happens.  It makes for a much more cinematic style of combat.

Offline Dragon_Blooded

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »
Kinda relevant to this... how are you guys dealing with the Red Court's weak spot on the belly thing? Just letting players attack it seems kinda cheap (since its a well-known weakness, especially after the start of the Vampire Wars), so I'm asking them to place a maneuver ("Exposed Weak Spot") first, which when invoked/tagged allows them to hit said spot.

Eduardo Penna

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:48:17 PM »
That seems the best way.  A manoeuvre - sorry, maneuver - with the appropriate attack skill to soften them up for a shot at the weak spot.  They don't just have to aim at them to get it, a few slices or gunshots in the right area (purely of the narrative variety) will do it.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »
Kinda relevant to this... how are you guys dealing with the Red Court's weak spot on the belly thing? Just letting players attack it seems kinda cheap (since its a well-known weakness, especially after the start of the Vampire Wars), so I'm asking them to place a maneuver ("Exposed Weak Spot") first, which when invoked/tagged allows them to hit said spot.

Eduardo Penna

See, I'd allow it just casually, based on it not being a full Catch usage. It only lets you ignore their 1 point of armor, not their extra Stress or Inhuman Recovery. That's a pretty fair benefit for knowing what you're doing about killing them.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:46:10 AM »
Or you could do it as a tag/invoke of their High Concept. That's sort've how you hit weaknesses that are package deals, as I understood it. Although I would personally go Dead's route and have it affect their Toughness powers as that's what the Catch is basically for.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 03:40:07 AM »
Actually, the belly is explicitly ALOT weaker than most catches since it's specific about it being Armor Ignoring Only. That's not nearly as powerful as ignoring all of their Toughness category powers.