Author Topic: Powers to get sponsored by  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Powers to get sponsored by
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
i wont completely quote the above poster but i do have something to say to what he said....
<_<  >_>
Awesomness  ;D

Seriously though that is an awesome idea. And while being a fan of vergil i can only slightly remember his appearance in the Aeneid(maybe i should read that book again lol) I had some cool idea's for sponsors around here somewhere. If i can find them i'll post them up.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline kjpowers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Profile - The Roosevelt Institution
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 09:15:45 PM »
Thanks, Archmage_Cowl! I just feel like there is SO much out there, be it in the myths of antiquity or more modern folklore. I've been toying around with some of the ancient Mesopotamian Gods, and I also think that American folklore is rife with opportunity. John Henry's enchanted hammer, anyone? 
"It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things. "

-President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Cajun Guy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:18:56 PM »
Read American Gods. that will give you a lot of ideas. Hey maybe my mage can try to see how many sponsors he can get then put patches on his jacket for each one .. Kind of like NASCAR.  ;)

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 01:35:30 AM »
Remember that if you are playing in a low refresh game, the sponsoring power doesn't need to be a great power itself.  So we could imagine Toot-toot's character sheet with Emissary of Power (Harry Dresden) if we wanted to.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 02:51:21 AM »
Mouse
(click to show/hide)
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 06:29:11 AM »
If using gods/goddesses for sponsorship is your thing (it's mine, as I mentioned before), if you have any experience with the Scion system by White Wolf, it is a great resource for adding some really fun dimensions to your sponsor. I think they even did a supplement with Atlantean, Gaelic and American (as in, United States) deities.

Offline Shinto_Knight

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »
6) Spirits of place (You could easily argue that most cities have spirits of place - and that old, strongly charged, powerful ones might have agents)

i would think most big european and asian cities might have these, however american cities may be too new. it might be fun to be the first spirit of new york or chicago.

spirit of gotham = the dark knight

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 09:55:54 AM »
Honestly, what I'm interested in is acting as a sponsor, rather than the other way around.

I could definitely see a long-running campaign result in the PCs being such big movers and shakers that they're the ones handing out power to further their agendas.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline HoodooHuckster

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 03:07:03 AM »
    I have created a Death Sponsored Magic (Like Death Personified in Supernatural) for the campaign I run in Memphis.  His agenda being a hatred of necromancy and a desire to make Immortal creatures mortal.

The magic deals heavily in veils, entropomancy, divination, a spells that can satisfy "The Catch".
The Character is a Main NPC in the setting.
"Go and Never Darken My Towels Again"
Groucho Marx

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
You could always do something like a transient being from the Nightside series. For anyone who hasent read the nightside series transient beings are ideas personafied like "lady luck" or "father time" those would probably be fun.
Also just throwing this one out here but maybe one of the big three game consoles? come on you guys know it would be fun to have an Emissary of Xbox duel and Emissary of Playstation lol ;D
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 07:19:47 PM »
I really want to make a Bard of the Autumn Court- half high sidhe changeling that is tasked with safe keeping the remaining power and lore of the conquered autumn court.  Sponsored necromancy and entropy magic.  Focus items a drum and flute.  Performance replaces discipline for control.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 09:40:29 PM »
I like the bard idea it sounds cool  :)

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »
I came up with something not completely unlike the Martello character that kjpowers told us about.  I'm GMing out New York City game, but I created a character along with everyone else, and I hope I get to play him soon when someone else takes a turn at GMing.

Zosimo is a native New Yorker, child of Greek immigrants, granted power by the Greek Pantheon while inadvertently defending one of their temples from Red Court artifact smugglers during a vacation in Greece.  The Pantheon is much diminished these days.  Because their memory is largely sustained by classical scholars, cheesy movies and TV shows, and comic book fans, they currently concentrate on their roles as patrons of the arts and other creative pursuits, and sponsors of the Ancient Greek ideal of the hero.

Zosimo happens to be more than a bit of a comic book nerd, as well as a part time bicycle messenger, so he's a particular favorite of Athena and Hermes.

Zosimo Pepelokios
High concept: Bike Messenger and Hearald to Greek Gods
Trouble: New York ain't exactly Ancient Athens
Other Aspects:
Don't f**k with the fastest otaku in Queens
Fan, Fancy, Fanatic, Phantasm, Faith
The world is stranger than I imagined, and I have a really good imagination,
Hey, you know what would be really cool?
With Mythic Power comes Mythic Responsibility

He has sponsored magic, Guide my hand, and an Item of Power (Hermes's wings)
The wings are usually affixed to his bike helmet and bicycle, giving him inhuman speed and armor:2.
The sponsored magic usually acts a lot like spirit evocation, while the ritual side of it is very good at teleportation, speed, and travel through the nevernever.  He stole all his rotes from Marvel superheros, specifcally Wolverine (attack), The Hulk (maneuver), and Nightcrawler (block), because hey, magic is all about what you believe in, and he totally believes in superheroes. ;)
He uses his bike gloves and messenger bag as focus items.

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 03:58:52 AM »
i would think most big european and asian cities might have these, however american cities may be too new. it might be fun to be the first spirit of new york or chicago.

spirit of gotham = the dark knight

Pure Awesome.

I am in the midst of fleshing out a recurring NPC for my campaign based LOOSELY on the Joker (and a bit of Gollum). Harlen Quinn, a winter court changling that never chose human or fae, even after he was called. I may have to shoehorn your idea in some how.

If you haven't read The Authority comics, the character Jack Hawksmore might hold some inspiration for you. Especially his part in The Secret Origins of Jenny Sparks.

*edit*

D'oh. Also, other sponsors could be Gia, Sol, Luna, etc. Gia being the most obvious and simple to work in.

Actually, The Authority has a character sponsored by the earth... Just read the comic. Its usually epic win, and its choc full of ideas.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 04:02:06 AM by Cyberchihuahua »
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 05:28:26 AM »
Champion of the Phoenix.

In my 'verse, Phoenix spirits are a kind of genius loci that are spawned when a location is ruined by fire.  As the location rejuvenates, the phoenix spirit grows with it; the stronger and more powerful the renewal, the stronger and more powerful the phoenix spirit becomes.  The cities of London, Chicago, Atlanta and many others all have a powerful phoenix spirit nesting in them.  New Orleans had one, too, from the Great Fire of 1788, but Hurricane Katrina killed it several years ago.  The agenda of the Phoenix mainly involves protecting its 'nests', inspiring or causing change and growth, and to opposing the schemes of the Thunderbird/its Champions.  

Similarly, Thunderbird spirits are also genius loci, but they are spawned when a location is flooded instead - there's a new Thunderbird Champion living in New Orleans right now, having slain the Phoenix Champion.  As that city recovers from the damage, so does the Thunderbird increase its power.

The enmity between the Phoenix and the Thunderbird is rooted entirely in the opposition of their base natures of fire and water.

Powers of the Phoenix Champion include Marked by Power, Supernatural Recovery (the Catch being the trappings of Thunder; i.e., electricity and running water), and an Item of Power (Phoenix Feather) that grants Physical Immunity: Fire (the Catch being not-fire).  Sponsored Magic is also an Option, covering ground similar to Seelie Magic without the plants (i.e., change, life, growth, renewal, fire).

Other spirits in a similar vein could be ones created by earthquakes or blizzards or even a new and terrifying radioactive kind at Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Chernobyl.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire