Author Topic: Powers to get sponsored by  (Read 7600 times)

Offline troubles third son

• Participant
    • View Profile
Powers to get sponsored by
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:50:16 AM »
Saw the thread on the awesome option of playing a Representative of the Erlking "the Goblin Knight" and was wondering what other awesome Ideas for sponsors and such people have been toying around with, either emissary's or just for nifty sponsored magic. 

I was putting together a "Shapeshifter Prince " the other day based around being the son/scion of the semi-immortal shapeshifter guru mentioned as a freeholding lord in the Ukrane from the series.  True Shapeshifting and a big bag of modular powers will be fun. 

What awesomeness are all of you thinking of?  directly from the books or otherwise
The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly. -TR

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Powers to get sponsored by
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:59:31 AM »
I'm really seriously considering how an Emissary of St. Nicholas would work.

Emissaries of one Dragon or another sound like alot of fun.

Ditto an emissary of various dieties (Shiva, Odin, and Hephaestus come to mind).

Houngans (voodoo priests) devoted to the various Loa (Ogoun and Baron Samedi leap to mind).

And all those are just what I've considered personally.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:10:33 AM »
Yeah, I personally favor the Norse gods. I loves me some Odin, but most of the others, too.

Additionally, things like Sponsored by Stonehenge or Giza Pyramids. I can definitely see both as being pretty serious power centers.

Take a look at the wonders of the Ancient and Natural world. If you buy into the novels' idea that many such places are either built on power centers, exist naturally as such places or become powerful through some faith/belief/curse/etc, any number of really cool locations could be sponsors, assuming that the Ley line or locus is powerful enough to support it.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:34:06 AM »
There where some ideas in that other thread about the possible swords of the cross like weapons.

I recall things like: Emissary of Buddha (Shao-Lin Monk style), The Sword of Allah plus lots and lots and lots of Shinto deities...

A member of my party wants to play an emissary of Asgard. But as he wants him to be a distant grandchild of Heimdall himself I guess it is more of a Scion Template. Never the less the possibilities for Emissary of Power seem almost limitless. You just have to check some of your regional folklore and I guarantee that you'll find something, at least for an European setting that is...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
Yeah, I personally favor the Norse gods. I loves me some Odin, but most of the others, too.

Considering his history, I'd be very concerned for the well being of any mortal sponsored by the All Father. He has this tendency to empower people for long enough that they become worthy of Valhalla, then leading them to their (glorious) deaths. Particularly beware Odin when he gives you a magic sword.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Considering his history, I'd be very concerned for the well being of any mortal sponsored by the All Father. He has this tendency to empower people for long enough that they become worthy of Valhalla, then leading them to their (glorious) deaths. Particularly beware Odin when he gives you a magic sword.

yeah ... well ... don't blame him to much. he needs many many many excellent soldiers for Ragnarök.  ;D
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
Emissaries of one Dragon or another sound like alot of fun.

we will have an NPC like that in our campaign, sometimes as ally, sometimes as opponent... depending on what her master wishes...

Considering his history, I'd be very concerned for the well being of any mortal sponsored by the All Father.

propably gets eaten by a wolf...

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
Besides all the pantheons (and let me just add, be careful with the idea of turning religions into active beings - not that it's necessarily bad, but it does set a precedent)...  Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Roman (different from Greek?  Who knows!), Aztec, Mayan, Incan, Sumerian, Celtic, and god only knows (*little* pun intended) how many more...

1) The Outsiders.  (ZOMG!  IT'S EEEETING MY BREEEEEEEN....)
2) Dragons
3) Demons/Devils (religious overtones?  How close is this to pantheons?)
4) The "great old ones" (hey, Cthulhu might exist!  >.>  Unless he's an outsider, then playing Arkham Horror is a violation of the 7th law!)
5) Vampires (Come on, *really* old vampires could be this powerful...)
6) Spirits of place (You could easily argue that most cities have spirits of place - and that old, strongly charged, powerful ones might have agents)
7) Artifacts (Most artifacts are objects of power, but they don't all have to be.  The Holy Grail?  The Blarney Stone?  The Moai of Easter Island?)
8) The Spring/Autumn Court (see the other thread from a few days back)
9) The Troll/Ogre/Gargoyle/Dryad/insert-monster-of-your-choice King (hey, it's your world)

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:38:59 PM »
Some other interesting possibilities.

1) Fist/Sword of Allah
2) Cabala Rabbi (Similar to a Wizard, and yet.. not)
3) Scion of Coyote, or Raven
4) Scion of Oni
5) Native American Shaman (note how Shagnasty tells L2W he's not a real shaman)
6) Templar
7) Shukenja or a Shaolin Fighting Monk

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 04:22:26 PM »
1) The Internet
2) Johnny Appleseed
3) Star Wars Fandom
4) A Really15 Old Vampire
5) The Spirit generated from the emotions of Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki after the Atomic Bombs dropped.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Tzarii

• Conversationalist
  • Always out front yet behind the scenes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
While not in the book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_Trismegistus  <---- this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_of_St._Germain <------ this guy
The old ones (not the outsiders the ones that made the outsiders outsiders)
The All (read the top)
Government sanctioned paranormal expert (don't ask)
Atlantis (just had to throw that one out there)

While Khalid Bin Walid was quite the bad ass and died of old age back in his day, the sword of allah might have a ton of trouble getting around today. 

I am Intell.  I am powered by coffee, rage and despair.  But mostly the first two.

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
Summon one of the 72 demons of the Goetia. Then tell it to empower you. There you go instant sponsor. :)

p.s.
If you having trouble choosing which of the 72 demons to use, i would suggest Ose the President of Hell.
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »
5) The Spirit generated from the emotions of Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki after the Atomic Bombs dropped.

Ooo... I REALLY like that idea. *plots*

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 04:50:34 AM »
The Daoine Sidhe are mentioned in passing during Turn Coat. 
(click to show/hide)

So I did a little research and the Daoine Sidhe basically sound like the group of Wyldfae Sidhe.  Not sure I would go so far as to say a "court" but definitely a loosely affiliated entity.  If it weren't for his Goblin court, I would say the Erlking would be a Daoine Sidhe.  Also "Daoine Beaga" translates as "little folk."  A thought just occurred to me, could the Daoine Sidhe be the nobles of the weefolk?  Could Toot-toot be on his way to become a Daoine Sidhe?

I imagine some Wyldfae Sidhe would be somewhat paranoid (not enjoying the umbrella of Summer or Winter), and are a good group to be sponsoring magic.  "Effect change without presenting yourself as a target?  Where can I sign up?"

Changes also brought up the idea of the more powerful Nevernever Entities being scared to leave their centers of power (home field advantage is what tips the balance in the major league).  Which further reinforces the reason for funneling power through emissaries.  These are "immortal" entities, death doesn't come to them very often (see White Night
(click to show/hide)
).
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline kjpowers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Profile - The Roosevelt Institution
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »
Oh, there is so much myth to dive into when looking for a sponsor! I've had so much fun reading back over some of my old textbooks looking for inspiration (I studied ancient history in college). Here's an example that I used for an NPC character of mine (forgive the backstory, but it sets up the Sponsor):

Mario Martello, patriarch of the Martello family of Sacramento, originally hailed from Eastern Italy before immigrating to the United States with his family in 1937. He enlisted in the Army following Pearl Harbor, and qualified for training with the Devil's Brigade, the American-Canadian 1st Special Services Force (and one of the grandfather units of modern US Special Forces). Sergeant Bosso (as he was then known) was among the first soldiers to land in Italy, and was commended for his valor in combat. Mario was greatly troubled by fighting with his fellow countrymen, but knew that Italy was on the wrong moral and ethical side of the Second World War.

Scouting along the countryside one night outside of Anzio, Mario came across three wounded and starving Italian soldiers. Martello administered medical aid to the best of his ability and offered the three men some of his own rations before claiming them as prisoners of war. The next night, again on a scouting patrol, Mario was visited by Diomedes, the former King of Argos and hero of the Trojan War who was elevated to Godhood by Athena for his deeds in the Trojan War and the service of his late father, Tyedus.

Diomedes was an ideal soldier, one who treated his enemies with respect but also showed no fear in combat. Diomedes and Herakles are unique among myth for being the only mortals to wound members of the Pantheon, though Diomedes is especially noteworthy given his lack of divine birth. He was respected for his wise counsel, and was among the most wise of the Greek leaders despite his relatively young age (though, admittedly, he was the most distinguished veteran of the Epigoni War). Following the destruction of Troy and the fleeing of the Trojan people to Italy, Diomedes himself left Argos and migrated to Italy, where he founded the 10 Italian cities. Fans of Virgil will remember his famous appearance in the Aeneid.

So, to make a long story short, Diomedes recognized several very important traits in the young solider, and offered him an opportunity to make a difference in the world. As a God of Heroes, Diomedes has spent countless generations empowering a mortal to serve as his Liaison in the mundane world, working to keep average people safe from threats they don't understand. While his power has diminished significantly from what it once was, Diomedes none-the-less lives on in history and literature classes around the world.

Being Diomedes' Hammer (Italian translation: Martello) is a thankless job, one filled with restless dreams and a hyper-awareness that forever destroys one's opportunity to live a normal, quite life. In return, however, Mario was granted the skills of Diomedes himself, among them excellent prowess in combat, uncanny wisdom, and the ability to quickly recover from injury. Since taking on the mantel of Martello sixty six years ago, three generations of Mario's family have fought tirelessly to make the world a slightly safer place to live...regardless of the cost.
"It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things. "

-President Theodore Roosevelt