Author Topic: You won't like this character when he's angry.  (Read 4349 times)

Offline surarrin

• Participant
  • Who splattered red paint on my boat?
    • View Profile
You won't like this character when he's angry.
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »
About a week ago I made a character based on the hulk.

Template Scion of Bruce Banner  :D

High Concept: Hulk Smash!
Trouble: Short Fuse
Power Level: (Up to your Waist)

Great: Might Endurance
Good: Fists Athletics
Fair: Intimidation Survival Weapons
Average: Conviction Presence Discipline Empathy Scholarship

Stress Tracks:

Physical:oooo(oooo)
Mental:ooo
Social:ooo

+2 Human Form (Rage)
-2 Hulking Size
+2 The Catch  (Not sure what to use)
    -2 Inhuman Recovery
    -2 Inhuman Toughness
-2 Inhuman Speed
-2 Inhuman Strength

Total Adjustment: -6
Base Refresh: 7
Adjusted Refresh: 1

I'm having trouble picking a template for it specifically. Scion fits the best imo, what are your thoughts guys?

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
Re: You won't like this character when he's angry.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:34:55 PM »
Mythic Strength maybe?

Not sure he's got an actionable Catch.  Not really a Dresden style character though.  You could always put something in there at 0 (maybe Gamma Radiation or somesuch)...
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »
The Catch is (Hulk Love Betty Ross) +0, only works when Betty Ross tries to calm him out of Hulk Rage.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »
Hm he is not The Hulk guys... just a Scion! The Catch could be pretty much everything you like, since this might represent his human side. Depending on what he is vulnerable to the discount is ok.

He seems a little bit weak to me. Perhaps you should go supernatural at least on the strength level. As I understand it there is no real limit to The Hulk's strength, just his rage. How can that be factored into a DFRPG Char? That would be interesting! :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:49:15 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
Is there a Berserker catch of some kind?
Understand that The Hulk's rage is a real issue.  When the Hulk gets mad, he has no control over his reactions.  He destroys buildings without thought about who is in them.  and without Care.

The Hulk isn't really a hero.  He's a bad guy who is a Hero only when in human form.

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
I'd definitely suggest Supernatural Strength or Mythic Strength.  Inhuman Strength is the level of a really strong mortal, or a bunch of different faeries/monsters, or a "magically enhanced" mortal (read: werewolf).  The Hulk is absolutely above that level.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
I'd definitely suggest Supernatural Strength or Mythic Strength.  Inhuman Strength is the level of a really strong mortal, or a bunch of different faeries/monsters, or a "magically enhanced" mortal (read: werewolf).  The Hulk is absolutely above that level.

can't be paid for without major catches at the targeted power level...

At "Up to your Waiste" this guy is really tough. I would change the High Concept though. It should reflect his kinship to "The Hulk" so it can be compelled a lot when he gets into rage. I also have the slight problem that there isn't really a Hulk in the Dresden Verse. Perhaps you can make him just similar to The Hulk and call him something else. It's alright to go with Changeling/Scion but make it something different...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 03:08:46 PM »
Honestly seems to fit with a Troll.
if only there was a way to be a changelling Troll, without you know ending up turning into a Troll.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
can't be paid for without major catches at the targeted power level...

Actually, he could and should drop the Inhuman Speed to up Strength to Supernatural. The Hulk isn't known for dodging things...

Honestly seems to fit with a Troll.
if only there was a way to be a changelling Troll, without you know ending up turning into a Troll.

Yeah, if you assume the Hulk is a Fae creature, you can take Cold Iron (+3) as your Catch, and use the extra point to buy Beast Change, allowing you to have the above skills in Hulk Form, and a different set (say, a high Scholarship to be a scientist...) in human form.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:17:10 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Llayne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »
Scion of a rage spirit/demon? There's plenty of things in the Nevernever other than the Fae.

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »
Scion of a Rage Spirit/Demon sounds really cool.
Think of all the conflicting feelings.  Someone with a good heart, and good intentions.  But with a murderous temper and abilities to match.

Offline arentol

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
There should be two +1 catches from among these three, or maybe all three should combine into a total catch of +2, depending on player and GM decision...

The fact that he has to be very angry to enter rage form and he can't force that anger on himself, someone else has to do it.

The fact that he has only limited control in rage form and will attack anyone and anything that threatens or annoys him, including friends if he fails a conviction? roll. (Note that he will not KILL under normal circumstances when in rage form, but if his anger level is truly ridiculously high, and the enemy is still goading him, he might have to make a conviction check to avoid killing.)

The fact that he can't leave rage form until he is able to find peace, and associated with this the fact that he will sometimes run away from a fight to try and find peace if he has nothing invested in the fight... So if he is with his girlfriend and gets attacked he will fight to make her safe, then run away and find peace. If he is alone and has no idea why he is being attacked he might fight back, or he might just run away, or he might take one swing then run away (though if the enemy chases him he will try and fight back or slow them down still most likely).

Also his trouble is not Short Fuse.  Banner worked hard at not getting angry and actually had a longer fuse than normal. Sadly though I am having trouble thinking up a replacement trouble, but I am sure there is something better.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:54:26 PM by arentol »

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »
Just thought I'd throw in the write up of the original Hulk that I posted last week.  hope it provides an idea or two for the Scion of Banner.

The Incredible Hulk (built on 60 skill points, 20 refresh. Hey, this guy is considered a peer of Thor, god of freaking thunder.)

Dr. Bruce Banner

High Concept: Brilliant Scientist, trying to unlock the full potential of the human body
Trouble: Anger and pain release the unstoppable monster within

Other aspects:
"Please, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
"HULK SMASH!"
Hunted by the Military
In love with Betty Ross (both of us)
The secrets of Gamma Radiation

Bruce Skills (60 pts):
Fantastic +6: Lore, Scholarship,
Superb +5: Craftsmanship, Investigation
Great +4: Conviction, Discipline,
Good +3: Alertness, Burglary, Deceit, Empathy, Rapport
Fair +2: Athletics, Endurance, Fists, Stealth, Survival,
Average +1: Contacts, Driving, Guns, Intimidate, Resources,

Hulk Skills (60 pts):
Fantastic +7: Endurance, Might,
Epic +6: Athletics, Fists
Superb +5: Conviction, Weapons
Great +4: Alertness, Intimidate
Good +3: Empathy, Stealth,
Fair +2: Discipline, Presence, Survival,
Average 1: Craftsmanship, Lore, Rapport, Scholarship,

Mortal Stunts:
Scholarship:
    Doctor (Radiotherapist)
    Scientist (Physics, Bio-physics)
Lore:
    Occultist (Gamma radiation, physical enhancement properties of)

Supernatural Powers

Shapeshifting
Beast Change [-1]
Human Form (involuntary change) [+2] affecting:
Hulking Size [-2]
Monstrous speed [-1] +2 bonus to alertness for initiative, can travel hundreds of miles at great speed, can travel up to 3 zones as a supplemental action
Mythic Strength [-6]
Mythic Toughness [-6]
Supernatural Recovery [-4]
Limitation, must revert to human form, usually unconscious, to begin recovery [+1]
The Catch [+2] Gamma Radiation related effects can overcome the supernatural toughness.  Gamma radiation related effects or emotion calming effects may be able to force reversion to human form.

Refresh -18

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »
The fact that he has to be very angry to enter rage form and he can't force that anger on himself, someone else has to do it.
/Dons Cap of Comic Geekness
Sorry, but this is wrong. Bruce can make himself angry, *many* examples from TV and comics, and the Hulk can keep himself angry, see Planet Hulk and World War Hulk story lines.
/Removes Cap of Comic Geekness

I agree with removing the Speed and up the Strength as suggested by others.

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
I can totally picture a Hulk inspired character with a Pixie side-kick.

Banner, "Please, don't make me angry.  You would..."
Pixie, enthusiastically interrupting, "Ooh, ooh, ooh! No, go ahead, make him angry! It's awesome when he gets angry."