Author Topic: Template: Arkanthrope  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Template: Arkanthrope
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:42:16 PM »
While tossing around our PC-idias, Tsunami and I came up with an adaption of the Lycanthrope template. Instead of a wulf spirit I want my PC to be possessed by some kind of bear spirit. We called the template Arkanthrope as the Greek word for bear is Arktos.

The Template is a simple adaption of the Lycanthrope.

Riquirements: -5
Echo of the Beast (-1)
Human Form (Rare Change) (+1)
Inhuman Strength (-2)
Inhuman Recovery (-1) (Catch: Silver) ?
Inhuman Toughness (-1) (Catch like Recovery)

We decided that bears are hardly pack animals so we just droped the Pack Instinct Requirement. Human Form got reduced to a Rare Change with a discount of only +1. That is beacause we couldn't think of a good reason why the Arkanthrope would be effected by the moon like the Lycanthrope is. The Rare Change of the Arkanthrope is, that he can't use his powers during the winter months. The Spirit goes into hybernaion and leaves his vessel powerless.

The single bear is more powerfull then the lonely wulf, so we added Inhuman Toughness as a further Requirement. Thus the Arkanthrope Template costs -1 more Refresh then the Lycanthrope but is slightly more powerfull too.

I sugested Silver as the Catch for both the Inhuman Recovery and Inhuman Toughness. I find it rather difficult to come up with a catch for the Lycanthope/Arkanthrope templates and would be glad if anyone came up with a better idea then stupid booring silver.

Coments are quite welcome. I'm a bit unsure if the template is in line with the rules, especialy where Catches and the Involuntary Change are concerned.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Template: Arkanthrope
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »
I'd make the required refresh cost the same, even if you remove the "Pack Instinct" line (though the Inhuman Toughness I suppose makes up for that).  In fact, I'd actually be very strongly tempted to add "Loner" or "Berserker" or something similar there.

Also, I wouldn't drop the moon requirement - simply because every mythos I can think of says that all were-creatures are controlled by the moon.  It's not specific to them being a wolf, it's specific to them being cursed with lycanthropy.

What's so boring about Silver?  It's a wonderful symbol and a wonderful tool.  It's a part of more legends than I can count, and magic - after all - is heavily based on belief in the Dresdenverse.

From a naturalist's point of view, bears don't hibernate - their level of metabolic depression is much lower than that, and is often referred to as "denning".  They can be easily aroused, as well, which isn't true in true hibernation.   And from a game balance point of view, having powers that are useless for 25%-50% of the year is massively limiting - pretty much your characters would frequently have to take "winter breaks" to avoid being eaten.  I'd definitely avoid that.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »
First off, if you look at them, Lycanthropes don't have a real Catch and so neither should Arkanthropes (they'll obviously need one, but make it a +0 like a weakness to eye and mouth shots...it's their skin that's so tough).

Also, being weakened and without powers for a full quarter of the year all together? Toatally worth the +2. It's only down to +1 if you can do it at will. Having it go by the moon instead is also perfectly reasonable, but it's up to you, and makes no difference to the cost. And I wouldn't worry too much about him geting killed during the winter (or the non-Full Moon), remember that Lycanthropes are Fate Point machines when they lack powers...they get a free High Aspect Compel for "if only I had my powers" pretty much every serious fight.

So that'd give you the following stats:

Echo of the Beast (-1)
Human Form (Uncontrollable Change) (+2)
Inhuman Strength (-2)
Inhuman Recovery (-2)
Inhuman Toughness (-2)

Total Refresh: -5
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:18:07 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:35:57 PM »
Also, I wouldn't drop the moon requirement - simply because every mythos I can think of says that all were-creatures are controlled by the moon.  It's not specific to them being a wolf, it's specific to them being cursed with lycanthropy.
Yeah, but Lycanthropy is actually Wolf specific. Extending it to other Species of animals is not the original idea. Lykos is Greek for Wolf after all. so The Full Moon idea comes from the idea of wolves howling at the moon and stuff.

What's so boring about Silver?  It's a wonderful symbol and a wonderful tool.  It's a part of more legends than I can count, and magic - after all - is heavily based on belief in the Dresdenverse.
The major problem with silver is that (like DMW said) in the Dresdenverse the Lycanthropes or any other breed of werewolf (except the loup garou) is NOT vulnerable to silver. Not more so than anyone else at any rate *g*.
Also, being weakened and without powers for a full quarter of the year all together? Toatally worth the +2. It's only down to +1 if you can do it at will. Having it go by the moon instead is also perfectly reasonable, but it's up to you, and makes no difference to the cost. And I wouldn't worry too much about him geting killed during the winter (or the non-Full Moon), remember that Lycanthropes are Fate Point machines when they lack powers...they get a free High Aspect Compel for "if only I had my powers" pretty much every serious fight.
We were a bit unsure about that, since usual Lycanthropes with 5 days of Power a month come up to a total of about 2 month of time in wich they CAN use their powers. The Arkanthrope with winter hibernation comes to 3 month in wich he CAN'T use his power. So the timeframes are pretty much reversed.
But you're right, 3 month powerless does sound bad enough for a +2 cost cut.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:37:33 PM by Tsunami »

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:29:58 PM »
Yeah, but Lycanthropy is actually Wolf specific. Extending it to other Species of animals is not the original idea. Lykos is Greek for Wolf after all. so The Full Moon idea comes from the idea of wolves howling at the moon and stuff.

Lycanthropy in general use is also commonly used to refer to *any* were-animal, even if the correct term is "therianthropy".  The *origin* of the term is for the Greek for wolf, but it's certainly not the only use.

And while a "true" lycanthrope may only have its full powers for ~2 months worth of days per year, they're at least spread out.  It's much easier to weave a game around them.  It may be fine mechanically, but make sure the character knows what they're getting into if they're going to have extremely long periods of game-time of weaker-than-human status interspersed with periods of super-human cool-ness.  I know I for one would just not enjoy the character.

The major problem with silver is that (like DMW said) in the Dresdenverse the Lycanthropes or any other breed of werewolf (except the loup garou) is NOT vulnerable to silver. Not more so than anyone else at any rate *g*.

;D

Agreed.  I actually am allergic to silver (funny how that works, huh?) but I'm much more scared of being hit over the head with a silver candlestick than having silver dust thrown on me.

I guess in my head I was kindof mixing "arkanthropy" with "were-bears".  As you correctly pointed out, lycanthropy - as handled in the Dresdenverse - is a special case of wolf were-form where a spirit of rage is affected by the lunar cycle and its strength cycles with the moon...  While a completely different form of were-creature (loup garou) is affected by silver.

The fact remains, in my head, it depends on the source of the arkanthropy.  If it's a curse, I stand by my "silver" comments.  If it's a spirit, probably not so much.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
Lycanthropy in general use is also commonly used to refer to *any* were-animal, even if the correct term is "therianthropy".  The *origin* of the term is for the Greek for wolf, but it's certainly not the only use.
General use, yes. But we were actually trying to make the bear-anthrope reasonably different from the wolf-anthrope, so it makes sense to change the mechanics a bit.
And while a "true" lycanthrope may only have its full powers for ~2 months worth of days per year, they're at least spread out.  It's much easier to weave a game around them.  It may be fine mechanically, but make sure the character knows what they're getting into if they're going to have extremely long periods of game-time of weaker-than-human status interspersed with periods of super-human cool-ness.  I know I for one would just not enjoy the character.
Actually the game time with a lot of power would be longer thatn without, basically you can say that about a quarter of the time would be spent powerless. depending on how you set the scenarios.
Wich is similar for Lycanthropes since you have to set their scenarios around the full moon regularly to make full use of the charater. And do you really set more than half of your scenarios at that time... likely not. (werewolf-centered campaigns excepted)

Also, in our actual situation, it's not so much of a problem. The Character is kind of an NPC tagging along so that our GM has someone to be when the GMing changes hands. :-)
[/quote]
The fact remains, in my head, it depends on the source of the arkanthropy.  If it's a curse, I stand by my "silver" comments.  If it's a spirit, probably not so much.
It's definetly a spirit.

Offline arentol

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »

I agree, I also don't think I would enjoy the character. The problem is that Lycanthrope provides inherent tension and interest for the entire group. It is an ever-present story element that they players and GM have to work with and around.

Meanwhile with the Arkanthrope there is basically only 1 month a year, the two weeks surrounding the losing of power, and the 2 weeks surrounding the gaining of power, that are filled with tension because of this same issue. The rest of the time he either has the power, or doesn't have it, and there is no need to think or worry about what might have been, or might soon be.

This pretty much takes all the fun out of the situation. I say go with the Moon phases.

Alternatively, make the Arkanthrope powers Crepuscular, like many bears tend to be in the wild, active at dawn and dusk. So they would be active for about 3 hours in the early morning and 3 hours in the late evening. That is 6 hours of 24, making them active 25% of the time, so not too far off Lycanthropes active percentage. Then the tension is then built around what time it is, rather than what day. Could be quite interesting to actually play.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »
I agree, I also don't think I would enjoy the character. The problem is that Lycanthrope provides inherent tension and interest for the entire group. It is an ever-present story element that they players and GM have to work with and around.

Meanwhile with the Arkanthrope there is basically only 1 month a year, the two weeks surrounding the losing of power, and the 2 weeks surrounding the gaining of power, that are filled with tension because of this same issue. The rest of the time he either has the power, or doesn't have it, and there is no need to think or worry about what might have been, or might soon be.

This pretty much takes all the fun out of the situation. I say go with the Moon phases.

Alternatively, make the Arkanthrope powers Crepuscular, like many bears tend to be in the wild, active at dawn and dusk. So they would be active for about 3 hours in the early morning and 3 hours in the late evening. That is 6 hours of 24, making them active 25% of the time, so not too far off Lycanthropes active percentage. Then the tension is then built around what time it is, rather than what day. Could be quite interesting to actually play.

You and neko128 make a valid point that I hadn't considered before. Part of the Lycanthropes apeal is the lack of power for lengthy periods of time (Compellability). With the hybernation idea that would be pretty much canceled out.

The alternative you pointed out sounds reasonable to me and you could even adjust the timeframe of activity on the fly if it doesn't feal right.

Tsunami and me thought this out with a specific PC-concept in mind (that of a hate driven Arkanthrope Vampire Slayer). Because of this we might not be looking at the big picture here. So far your pointers have been a great help. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:18:06 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!