Author Topic: Some Sample Characters  (Read 12662 times)

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
Re: Some Sample Characters
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 11:46:10 PM »
Erin, when in wolf form, has Claws (treat as weapon 2) and Inhuman Stregnth (add +2 to fist attacks damage).  So every time she lands a bite attack on an opponent its damage has a base of 4?  Am I reading that correctly?  If so, ouch.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
Erin, when in wolf form, has Claws (treat as weapon 2) and Inhuman Stregnth (add +2 to fist attacks damage).  So every time she lands a bite attack on an opponent its damage has a base of 4?  Am I reading that correctly?  If so, ouch.

Yep!  :)

Claws are nasty, though no more so than someone with Inhuman Strength and a sword.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55:51 PM »
I'm using her as a model for a werepanther (think Nastassja Kinski from Cat People) and wanted to make sure I understood how that would work...no wonder Ghouls are such high demand as muscle, that'd make them equal (if uglier) damage wise in a fight.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »
Oh, yeah. They're scary. Red and Black Court vampires have 'em, too. Only the White Court lack Claws...which likely explains their propensity for things like swords and guns.  :)

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 03:55:17 AM »
Very nice, those are just spectacular. I've been referencing this thread whenever I need an example of non-canon characters. Good job mate. 8)
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 04:01:42 AM »
Very nice, those are just spectacular. I've been referencing this thread whenever I need an example of non-canon characters. Good job mate. 8)

Thank you for your kind words.  :)

If enough people are interested I could make a theme group or two as well. An entire group of Wardens (at Submerged power level), or a pack of werewolves (ditto), or an all Pure Mortal group (at Feet In The Water or Waist Deep), or things like that.

This group really is too much my own ideal for me to make another mixed group like it, but I could definitely do other stuff like that listed above. Anybody interested?

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 04:15:45 AM »
Very interested. I'm a big fan of these characters actually.

If I could make a request, I'd like a small group of sample characters (like 3 or 4) of a mixed group of Waist-Deep or Chest-Deep. I've got to run a sample game before next year for a couple of players. The group you've got up is great, but there just so many to pick from. If the group had a college theme (like a group of gaming nerd werewolves or a sorcerer's fraternity), that'd be a plus.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 04:27:41 AM »
Hmmm, something smaller and lower powered? I might be able to do five Waist-Deep characters with a college theme...but I'm not sure it would be as widely applicable. I'm not saying no, mind you, but I'll need to think about it.

Also bear in mind that the current group aren't supposed to all get used together. Or at least that's not how I see them getting used most. You're supposed to list them off by brief description and have the players pick who they like (or give them out to players based on what kind of character they want to play). Any group of four or more of these characters should mostly know each other, so that element is dealt with, and that way nobody gets stuck playing something they can't stand. With three players...you'd need to be a bit more selective, but you could still absolutely use, say, Elizabeth, Erin, and Delilah (for the all-girl group), or reunite any three of the four from Dragonslayer, or a lot of the other possible combinations. As long as at least one of the three has worked with both of the other two (even if in separate Novels) everything should work out.

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 06:06:03 AM »
Hmmm, something smaller and lower powered? I might be able to do five Waist-Deep characters with a college theme...but I'm not sure it would be as widely applicable. I'm not saying no, mind you, but I'll need to think about it.

If you don't focus the theme on College Students, but instead keep it general, students, faculty, the requisite college town, etc, it shouldn't be to hard to pull out five interesting characters where any two or three of them will work well in any town that has a community college/college/university. While that isn't as applicable as characters built for any-town-usa, I don't think its two specific. Though I do agree that a hand full of characters focused just around the students might be a little to narrow.

I'm partial to pure mortals in whatever system, so I have to cast my vote in that direction for selfish reasons, but I think lower level characters is a very good idea on its own. There are plenty of discussions and examples of how to use/abuse the rules to make uber characters, but there aren't many of how to make a normal starting character who can develop from rags to riches as it were. I think that would be very helpful to new users, especially those that are also new to table-top rpgs in general.

That's my two cents, but I'll be happy with any more good examples you make, regardless of level or template. Heck, if nothing else, there super entertaining to read. :)
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 06:30:09 AM »
Hmmm...the college game idea isn't gelling. I'll think on it some more and see if I can work something out, but it's not looking likely.

A mixed party at the Feet Wet level is a possibility, that'd certainly be different enough from the current group to warrant a new group...but I keep coming back in my head to the all Warden group, and how I'd distinguish them from each other. It could potentially be really fun.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 11:21:16 PM »
Very interested. I'm a big fan of these characters actually.

If I could make a request, I'd like a small group of sample characters (like 3 or 4) of a mixed group of Waist-Deep or Chest-Deep. I've got to run a sample game before next year for a couple of players. The group you've got up is great, but there just so many to pick from. If the group had a college theme (like a group of gaming nerd werewolves or a sorcerer's fraternity), that'd be a plus.

give me a few hours/days and ill see if i can get something worked up for you, im not the writer that deadman is, but i figure f i do most of the heavy lifting, others can sand down the edges for you.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 07:07:54 AM »
I think I'd actually prefer it if you started your own thread for that. Just as an organizatonal matter. I mean, if I really do start doing additional groups, this thread is going to get plenty confusing for those looking for something specific without other people doing entirely separate groups simulataneously. And scheduling a thread seems silly.

That said, you should totally do it if you want to, I'll definitely be on the lookout for such a thread and would happily comment on it.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »
Well, the college characters still aren't gelling, so I doubt if that's gonna happen. But I'm busy the next couple of days, so people still have time to get their votes in on what I do next. I'll see what the most people want me to do by Friday, and do something like that.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »
I'm voting a mixed group at feet wet.  Not only does it show the potential for long term progression but it shows that not everyone needs to be a wizard (or how dangerous wizards appear from the outside).  Some ideas I've been playing with for characters that would fit the profile are:
Lottery winning thrill seeker
Misunterstood mechanical genius
Retired medical examiner
Con man with a curse

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
Okay, with that as the consensus, I'll go with it. I'm thinking 6 characters: An Alchemist, a Kinetomancer, a Troll-blooded Changeling, a Were-Eagle, a Pure Mortal Medical Examiner, and a True Believer ex-soldier and current beat cop.