Author Topic: Some Sample Characters  (Read 12437 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Some Sample Characters
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:57:25 AM »
So, I've created what amounts to a PC group of eight characters. Fairly well balanced, a variety of types, and with connections to existing Dresden Files characters. they're fully statted, though I'll be writing (as opposed to just knowing) their Backgrounds as I go (and all should be up within a few days). They are suitable for use in Con Games or whatever else. If used for such purposes, I recommend making a quick list and letting however many players you have (presumably less than 8 of them) pick which characters they want to play. Characters are all, obviously, Chest Deep. Commentary of all sorts is welcome.

First up, an index (courtesy of Jeckel):

Novel Chronology

1: Elizabeth Anne Winthrop - Wizard

2: Father James O’Connel - True Believer

3: Erin Carter - Were-Wolf

4: Sam Coleman - Changeling

5: John Strauss - Focused Practitioner

6: Matthew Holland - Red Court Infected

7: Detective Sgt. Delilah Vance - Pure Mortal

8: Anthony Desouza - Pure Mortal

And then our Wizard:

Name: Elizabeth Anne Winthrop

Background:

Liz grew up in a good home with a very normal family. She was always excitable and exuberant, taking life head-on with a great deal of joie-de-vivre, and little in the way of common sense or self-preservation instinct. Her family was upper middle class, but by no means rich, and she seldom speaks to them these days.

Aspect: Youthful Exuberance

Rising Conflict:

When she was 15, Liz made the earth move. Literally. She got very lucky and not only didn’t hurt anyone, but was found by a Wizard of the White Council fairly rapidly and taken in to be put under instruction. She rapidly displayed a prodigious magical talent as well as a lack of what was seen by her instructor as the proper temperament for a Wizard, and particularly a Warden, despite being a decent Evocater. Due to this, she is not given the rank of full Wizard until the age of 23, and even then not considered for the Wardens.

During this time, Liz met and dated a charming young man and fellow apprentice named Carlos Ramirez, who has since moved on to great things. The breakup was relatively amicable…though these days she’s a bit jealous of the esteem and position he’s managed to achieve.

Aspect: Magical Prodigy

First Novel: Falsely Accused

When Liz is accused of having broken the First Law, her ex-boyfriend being a Warden Commander comes in real handy. While he runs interference with the Council, she sets out to prove her innocence, and, with a bit of help from Father O’Connel and John Strauss, PI, she manages to clear her name and nab the mercenary sorcerer who set her up.

Aspect: Carlos Ramirez’s Ex-Girlfriend

Guest Star: Past Sins

When Father O’Connel’s past comes back to haunt him, Liz proves her loyalty to her friends beyond a shadow of a doubt, helping him to lay old demons to rest, even when it almost kills her. While doing so, she meets and works with Erin Carter, another friend of Father O’Connel, and the two actually get along quite well.

Aspect: Loyal To A Fault

Guest Star: Turf Wars

When a Red Court offensive moves into town, Liz (as a representative of the White Council) is forced to ally with Matthew Holland, from the Fellowship of St. Giles, as well as a Pure Mortal businessman named Anthony Desouza to stop them. Not that she minds after she sees their handiwork first hand. Together the three put a stop to the Red Court with extreme prejudice, using a combination of dirty tricks, manipulation, and sheer violence.

Aspect: Subtle And Quick To Anger

Aspects:
High Concept: Young Untried Wizard
Trouble: More Bravery Than Sense
Other:
Youthful Exuberance
Magical Prodigy
Carlos Ramirez’s Ex-Girlfriend
Loyal To A Fault
Subtle And Quick To Anger

Skills:

Superb: Conviction,
Great: Discipline, Lore
Good: Rapport, Scholarship
Fair: Alertness, Athletics, Resources,
Average: Contacting, Deceit, Endurance, Presence, Weapons,

Powers:

Evocation [–3]
Thaumaturgy [–3]
The Sight [–1]
Soulgaze [+0]
Wizard’s Constitution [+0]

Total Refresh: 1

Specializations:

Evocation: Elements (Air, Earth, Spirit); Control (Earth +1)
Thaumaturgy: Complexity (Divination+1);

Focus Items:
Shield Ring [+1 Defensive Control and Power with Earth]
Wand [+1 Offensive Control and Power with Earth]

Rotes:

Gravity Warp (Block: 6 or Armor: 3, requires Ring)
Lightning Bolt (Weapon: 6 Attack. Requires Wand.)
Moving Earth (6 Shift Maneuver against area or opponent. Requires Wand.)
Earth Tremor (Weapon: 4 Attack, targets an entire zone. Defended against with Might. Requires Wand.)

Stress:

Mental: OOOO (+1 Minor Mental Consequences)
Physical: OOO
Social: OOO
Armor: 3, with magic.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:43:02 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Some Sample Characters
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »
Name: Father James O’Connel

Background:

James O’Connel grew up in a fairly typical Irish-Catholic home, and eventually went into the seminary and became a priest. He joined up with the army as a chaplain, seeing action several places, and doing a few things he’s not proud of. He also ran into the supernatural for the first time during this period, and learned some truths about the world.

Aspect: Former Army Chaplain

Rising Conflict:

Returning from military service, Father O’connel was assigned by the church to a small parish in the bad part of the city. With courage and dedication he set about making his church into a true refuge for the people of the area. He is not the most enthralling speaker, but he knows more about faith and theology than most people can dream of, and everyone in the parish likes him. He has also worked specifically against various malevolent supernatural beings. Usually from the safety of the Church, but occasionally taking up his old service sidearm and taking the fight to them.

Aspect: Pillar of the Community

Guest Star: Falsely Accused

When Liz, a young lady who has helped out occasionally with the more obscure problems he ran into, is accused of murder and asks Father O’Connel to help her clear her name, what can he do but accept? She also requests the help of one John Strauss, a Private Investigator, and he and Father O’Connel like each other and work well together. He serves both, but especially Liz, as moral support, and a shoulder to lean on in dark times.

Aspect: A Shoulder To Cry On

First Novel: Past Sins

One of the worst things Father O’Connel ever did during his time in the military comes back to haunt him in the form of a ghost that looks like a young boy he once chose not to save for what he thought was the greater good. Desperate and unable to sleep at night for fear of the dreams the creature brings, he enlists the aid of Liz Winthrop once again, as well as that of Erin Carter, a parishioner and friend of his who he knows is more than she appears. The two investigate, and find that the image is a mystical image, a lie used to hurt Father O’Connel, who, his faith that he does not deserve this reaffirmed drives it off with the raw power of his belief.

Aspect: I Shall Fear No Evil

Guest Star: Finding Justice

When Det. Sgt. Vance is put on the case of what is looking more and more like a local serial killer, she calls in her old partner Jack Strauss, and he (seeing a certain religious theme to the crimes), calls in Father O’connel as a consultant. Father O’connel’s knowledge is instrumental in eventually finding the murderer, though he remains unaware of what Dt. Sgt. Vance was actually forced to do to stop the crimes…

Aspect: Scholar and Theologian

Aspects:
High Concept: Righteous Man of the Cloth
Trouble: To Turn the Other Cheek, or Lay Low the Wicked?
Other:
Former Army Chaplain
Pillar of the Community
A Shoulder To Cry On
I Shall Fear No Evil
Scholar and Theologian

Skills:

Superb: Conviction,
Great: Empathy, Scholarship,
Good: Contacts, Rapport,
Fair: Athletics, Discipline, Guns
Average: Alertness, Endurance, Fists, Lore, Presence,

Stunts:
Blessed Words (Conviction)
Capable Researcher (Scholarship)

Powers:
Bless This House [-1]
Guide My Hand [-1]
Righteousness [-2]

Total Refresh: 2

Stress:

Mental: OOOO (+1 Minor Mental Consequences)
Armor: None, usually.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:00:56 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:21:06 PM »
Name: Erin Carter

Background:

Erin grew up in Chicago, to a middle class family. She was an inquisitive, smart, and charming girl, with a bright future and an interest in environmentalism. She and some of her college friends found out there was more to the world than they’d believed and eventually met a woman named Tera West and rapidly became classic werewolves in an effort to do something to change it. They were and are the Alphas.

Aspect: The Best of Intentions

Rising Conflict:

There followed several years of hard, vicious, fighting. And Erin became very, very, good at it. She also got tired. Combat fatigue, being a quitter, whatever you want to call it, she realized that being an Alpha was eating the rest of her life. She knew that wasn’t true of some of her friends, but it was true of her, and when she graduated she took the opportunity to move away from the city and stop trying to be a superhero. She realized with unfortunate speed that she wasn’t actually very good at normal life. She had an undergraduate Liberal Arts degree and all the marketable job skills of a High School dropout.

Aspect: What do you do with a Liberal Arts Degree?

First Novel: Wolf Time

A gang of Lycanthropes with a Norse theme move into Erin’s neighborhood and see her as competition. Despite wanting nothing to do with the supernatural, she is given no choice and is forced to recruit an ally in order to show these idiots who they‘re dealing with. She manages to get a local Changeling she’d run into clubbing by the name of Sam Coleman to help her, in exchange for a future favor, and proceeds to demonstrate to the Lycanthropes that they are one if the least scariest things she’s fought since becoming a werewolf.

Aspect: I’ve Killed And Eaten Worse Than You

Guest Star: Past Sins

When Erin’s parish priest, Father O’Connel, is in trouble of the supernatural sort and he asks for her help, she doesn’t have the heart to refuse him, and winds up working with a young witch named Liz Winthrop. Together, the two track down what’s giving the priest trouble, and help him to deal with it. They also become fast friends along the way.

Aspect: Can’t Resist A Cry For Help

Guest Star: Dragon Slayer

When Sam Coleman calls in his favor for Erin to help him save a little girl kidnapped by a lesser dragon (adult virgins being rare these days), she warms to him somewhat. In fact things become downright heated between the two, and only the presence of both Matthew Holland (who joins their quest on his own after hearing there was a child missing) and Det Sgt. Delilah Vance (ditto) as chaperones, keeps things from going further than Erin is comfortable with. Personal issues aside, the four of them manage to save the girl and slay the beast.

Aspect: Animal Magnetism

Aspects:
High Concept: Former Alpha
Trouble: Just Wants A Normal Life, But Can Never Have It
Other:
The Best of Intentions
What do you do with a Liberal Arts Degree?
I’ve Killed And Eaten Worse Than You
Can’t Resist A Cry For Help
Animal Magnetism

Skills:

Human:

Great: Deceit, Rapport,
Good: Discipline, Empathy, Presence,
Fair: Alertness, Athletics, Lore, Scholarship,
Average: Contacts, Conviction, Endurance, Fists, Stealth,

Wolf:

Superb: Athletics, Fists,
Great: Alertness, Stealth,
Good: Endurance, Discipline,
Fair: Lore, Scholarship,
Average: Conviction, Presence,

Stunts:
Sex Appeal (Rapport)

Powers:
Echoes of the Beast [-1]
Beast Change [-1]

Human Form [+1], affecting:
Claws [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]

Total Refresh: 1

Stress:

Mental: OOO
Physical: OOO/OOOO
Social: OOOO/OOO
Armor: None, usually.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:29:10 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Esoteric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
Nice work so far. Can't wait to see the rest  ;D

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:00:04 PM »
Nice work so far. Can't wait to see the rest  ;D

Always nice to be praised.  :)

And the rest are coming in the following order (High Concepts Provided):

Sam Coleman, Changeling Swashbuckler
John Strauss, Ectomancer PI
Matthew Holland, Order of St. Giles Heavy Hitter
Det. Sgt. Delilah Vance, Clued-in Cop
Anthony Desouza, Slightly Shady Black Belt Businessman

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:57:54 PM »
Nice to see all the tie ins already in place.  If not used for a convention game they would also serve as a great example of how to put together a group of interconnected characters.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 12:30:25 AM »
Nice to see all the tie ins already in place.  If not used for a convention game they would also serve as a great example of how to put together a group of interconnected characters.

Yeah, they probably could at that. Always nice to make useful things.  :)

Those are a stone bitch to do by yourself, by the way. Keeping 8 characters straight and, more importantly, all connected together enough that any 4 could be picked and not have any of them the odd man out who doesn't know the other three? Even harder than it sounds.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:34:22 AM »
Hey thanks for posting these! Great job.

I may be running a little demo soon and I'm going to use these  ;)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:39:57 AM »
Cool!  ;D

Please tell me how it works out, I'd love to hear feedback.

If time's a factor, the lot should be posted by Friday-ish, maybe sooner if I get all inspired or have a lot of free time.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:48:17 AM »
Excellent, the session is about a week away.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:10:38 AM »
Cool.  8)

I'll definitely be done before then. Speaking of which, here's another:

Name: Sam Coleman

Background:

Sam was born to a rich couple living in the nice part of town. His mother was a particularly lovely human, and his father a sidhe knight of the Summer Court spending some time in human society. He was raised with the best of everything and a very real sense of his own importance. He was also instructed by his father in who and what he was, and taught swordplay and honor from a very young age.

Aspect: Child of Wealth and Privilege

Rising Conflict:

As he entered his teenage years, Sam became somewhat wild, though less outwardly rebellious than many children, and turned to various extreme or outré activities to keep himself entertained. His sense of arrogance grew by leaps and bounds as he found success easy in almost every area he attempted.

Aspect: Almost As Good As I Think I Am

Guest Star: Wolf Time

A lovely young woman by the name of Erin Carter, who Sam had met while clubbing comes and requests that he help her with a Lycanthrope problem, revealing herself to be a werewolf in the process. Never one to turn down a request for aid from a beautiful woman, Sam agrees, though in the tradition of the Fae, he does request a favor in return at a later date. With his not inconsiderable help she defeats her foes, and he is left with a new respect for her battle prowess.

Aspect: Dashing Swordsman

Guest Star: Winter Ghosts

John Strauss, an Ectomancer and Private Investigator, is looking into the enslavement of some local ghosts and their use as a murder weapon, along with his ex-partner Det. Sgt. Vance, and when evidence points Strauss at the Winter Court of the Fae, he seeks out an expert with his ghostly contacts…and finds Sam. Sam’s experience in the duplicitous world of the Fae is invaluable, and the three track down the culprit, a Winter Court troll-mage, culminating in John killing the creature in a formal duel.

Aspect: Deception Is A Fine Art

First Novel: Dragon Slayer

When a young girl is stolen away into the Nevernever by a lesser dragon (adult virgins being increasingly rare), the local Summer Court disapprove, but are bound by old pacts not to interfere, and, lacking access to a Knight, request that Sam go and take care of the problem. Naturally, he complies, requesting Erin’s aid and renewing their acquaintance in a somewhat warmer fashion. He also receives aid from both Matthew Holland and Det. Sgt. Delilah Vance, who, each for their own reasons, just came looking for a missing kid, and with all three of their aid manages to save the girl and slay the dragon.

Aspect: Saving Damsels And Slaying Dragons

Aspects:
High Concept: Changeling Swashbuckler
Trouble: Family Problems
Other:
Child of Wealth and Privilege
Almost As Good As I Think I Am
Dashing Swordsman
Deception Is A Fine Art
Saving Damsels And Slaying Dragons

Skills:

Superb: Weapons,
Great: Deceit, Rapport,
Good: Athletics, Presence,
Fair: Contacts, Lore, Resources,
Average: Alertness, Conviction, Empathy, Endurance, Fists,

Stunts:
Riposte (Weapons)

Powers:
Glamour [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch is Cold Iron and the like [+3]

Stress:

Mental: OOO
Physical: OOO(OO)
Social: OOOO
Armor: 1, except vs. Cold Iron.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:35:59 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »
Not that anyone besides me cares, but here's a Novel Chronology:

Wolf Time
Winter Ghosts
Falsely Accused
Past Sins
Turf Wars
Dragon Slayer
Finding Justice
Blood Debts
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:28:57 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 01:39:49 AM »
Not that anyone besides me cares, but here's a Novel Chronology:

Wolf Time
Winter Ghosts
Falsely Accused
Past Sins
Turf Wars
Dragon Slayer
Finding Justice
Blood Debts

It does help keep the character chronology straight though.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 01:44:23 AM »
It does help keep the character chronology straight though.

God yes, which is why I did it.

But since I'm listing the novels in order of occurence on each character sheet, the master list is of only academic interest to folks who aren't me, since the work requiring it has mostly been done already.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:00:16 AM »
John's novels are a bit long, but I don't think it's so bad it's unworkable.

Name: John Strauss

Background:

John was always a weird kid. He had more imaginary friends (and the occasional enemy) than you could shake a stick at, and he knew things there was no way he could know. His very normal parents loved him, but had no idea what to do with him, and John grew up strange and distant. He wanted to help people, but was more comfortable with the dead than the living, and no good at all in the sciences. Cop seemed a natural career choice.

Aspect: I Talk To Dead People

Rising Conflict:

When John was around 30 he ran into someone else who could see ghosts. He was amazed and delighted, he wasn’t crazy! He went out immediately in his off-hours to learn how to better use his talents and to become part of the mystical community. Unfortunately, his superiors took this behavior in a very bad light and suspicion was thrown on him every which way it could be. He was rapidly, through no fault of his own, labeled a crackpot and kicked off the force. He got a PI license pretty quick, though, and has been working as one ever since. He’s also stayed in contact with his old partner, Det. Sgt. Delilah Vance.

Aspect: I Used To Be A Cop

First Novel: Winter Ghosts

John is called in for his very first police consult by his old partner, Det. Sgt. Vance. She say she’s going out on a limb here, so he better make something happen, which will be real magic, since the victims don’t have a mark on them. John does his thing and discovers that somebody has enslaved one or more ghosts and is using them to commit murder. Following up through his ghostly contacts, while Delilah works the human side of things, John discovers that the Winter Court of the Fae appear to be involved, under the pay of a human. They enlist the aid of one Sam Coleman, a Changeling, to help navigate Fae politics, and with his help, trap the culprit (a Troll Witch) into a duel with John, who slays the foul beast by freeing it’s own slaves to destroy it. Meanwhile, Det. Sgt. Vance apprehends the man who funded the murders and catches a credible confession of his on tape, officially solving the case.

Aspect: Second-Best Investigator You’ve Ever Seen

Guest Star: Falsely Accused

When a young woman by the name of Liz Winthrop is falsely accused of murder by magic, she hires John to help her prove her innocence and, with the help of a local priest named James O’Connel, they manage to find the real killer (a mercenary sorcerer) and bring him to justice.

Aspect: Knows This Town Like The Back of His Hand

Guest Star: Finding Justice

Delilah calls John for help again, this time off the books, and like a good friend and partner he comes running. This time a series of perfectly non-magical serial killings have her stumped, and his more mystical insight is needed. He provides a bit of it, and recommends Father O’Connel to look into some religious symbolism in the case. After getting the info from the priest, the trail leads to the business empire of one Anthony Desouza who owes Det. Sgt. Vance for a minor favor a long time ago. He helps them to find the man they’re looking for…only to find he’s a well-connected businessman and the son of a local politician. He’s clean cut, all American, and no jury in the world will ever convict him. Delilah kills him, and John helps her cover it up, again, like a good friend and partner.

Aspect: I’d Kill Or Die For My Friends

Aspects:
High Concept: Ectomancer PI
Trouble: People Say I‘m Crazy
Other:
I Talk To Dead People
I Used To Be A Cop
Second-Best Investigator You’ve Ever Seen
Knows This Town Like The Back of His Hand
I’d Kill Or Die For My Friends

Skills:

Great: Conviction, Discipline, Investigation
Good: Athletics, Lore, Guns,
Fair: Alertness, Contacts, Rapport
Average: Endurance, Presence, Scholarship,

Stunts:
Scene of the Crime (Investigation)

Powers:
Ghost Speaking [-1]
Channeling (Spirit) [-2]
Ritual (Ectomancy) [-2]

Focus Items:
Black Leather Gloves [+1 Offensive Control and Power with Spirit]

Enchanted Items:
Grey Trench Coat [4 Shift Block or Armor 2, Three times per session.] [3 Enchanted Item Slots.]
One Potion Slot.

Rotes:

Incorporealize (Block: 4 or Armor: 2)
Force Strike (Weapon: 5 Attack. Requires Glove.)
Poltergeist (5 Shift Maneuver against area or opponents. Requires Glove.)

Stress:

Mental: OOOO
Armor: 2, with magic.