Author Topic: Glamour Magic  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
Glamour Magic
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
Hello all...

One of my PC wants to make a Changeling with some glamour magic...

How can I twist this so that he does not contravene the laws of magic right away?

And should he only take the Sponsored Magic stunt?

How would you build such character?

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »
well glamour on its own is just a power that creates things like a veil. Is that all the player wants or does he want actual fey magic?
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:36:47 PM »
Well...

My player didn't read the books so he is not entirely sure what changeling are in Dresdenverse.

But I guess he wants to be as close as true fay magic as possible...such as illusions and veils.

Would that be all covered by Sponsored Magic: Seelie ?

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »
Would that be all covered by Sponsored Magic: Seelie ?

If the Fey part of the Changeling belongs to Summer i can't see why it would not be.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:41:57 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:40:41 PM »
well if he is just looking for illusions and veils the Greater glamours power is where its at. If he wants the full range of summer fey abilities(healing, throwing fire, Calling up walls of earth, veils and such) yeah i would suggest Sponsored Magic Seelie(often just shortened to Seelie Magic)
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »
It would be covered by Glamours, which is a separate power unto itself. If your player wanted to up his Fae magic ability some more, s/he could add Seelie or Unseelie Magic depending on the court of their character's Fae parent.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:45 PM »
What they said. Glamours are what you want. Seelie Magic is available if he also wants to heal wound and strike down his foe's with Summer's flame, but for Illusions of all sorts, all you need is Glamour.

To answer your question about Lawbreaking: Illusions break none of the Laws by default, though specific mind-manipulating ones could in theory. Glamour, however, most certainly doesn't.

Offline Arandmoor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 04:23:01 AM »
To answer your question about Lawbreaking: Illusions break none of the Laws by default, though specific mind-manipulating ones could in theory. Glamour, however, most certainly doesn't.

Besides which, as a changling rather than a wizard, he's not bound by the laws of magic and doesn't need to worry about Lawbreaker.
"Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel."
- Marina Margaret Heiss
http://typelogic.com/intj.html
...fffffffffffffffff

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »
Besides which, as a changling rather than a wizard, he's not bound by the laws of magic and doesn't need to worry about Lawbreaker.

It's debatable (and has been debated extensively elsewhere) that, if he had Seelie Magic and broke the Laws, he'd get the Lawbreaker stunt even if the Wardens couldn't touch him. That's actually my personal opinion. But it's not relevant here, so let's not derail the thread.

Offline Llayne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
Assuming we're talking about messing with somebody's mind here, I wouldn't give him a lawbreaker stunt, but something to note that he was moving closer to becoming a fae. Being amoral or indifferent enough to mess with somebody's mind and not care is definitely a fae characteristic, and being a changeling you should be constantly worried about going over completely to the other side. That's just me.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 02:03:35 PM »
We are not derailing this thread.

Glamour doesn't directly mess with someone's mind, wouldn't result in Lawbreaker, and is exactly what he wants. Please, oh please, start a new thread for discussions of Sponsored Magic and the Laws. I'd love to talk about it...just not here.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »
I wanted to get some other opinions on the Glamour ability in a game I am about to run.  It looks like there is not a system in place like regular magic and sponsored magic.  How would you restrict the willie nillie use of this power when it does not seem to cost anything to cast?  I was going to rule that it works just like evocation so that there is a mental stress added to a character using this ability so that it does not become over powered.  Opinions?
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »
There's nothing to restrict it. People with Glamour can use it as often as they like, with no restrictions. That's the point.

If you don't want to allow people with casual illusion abiliies then disallow Glamour entirely, but weakening a highly balanced power just isn't fair. I mean, Channeling (Spirit) can do everything Glamour does and smash people to death with Weapon: 5 attacks, Glamour needs some advantage to make up for that.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
glamours is a -2 power that only lets you do veils and change small things about your personal appearance.  It is no where near the stuff that evocation or channeling can do, and you have no reason to worry about it being overpowered.  So no, don't give mental stress to a character using it.  It is balanced as is.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Da_Gut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 10:31:19 PM »
glamours is a -2 power that only lets you do veils and change small things about your personal appearance.  It is no where near the stuff that evocation or channeling can do, and you have no reason to worry about it being overpowered.  So no, don't give mental stress to a character using it.  It is balanced as is.

Small things? Like make a 12 foot tall ogre wearing only a loin cloth appear as a large human in an old suit and hat? Who was, when so glamoured, able to fit through doors that he couldn't at full size without cracking the frame?