Author Topic: Any other settings you're planning to use this system for?  (Read 10327 times)

Offline drnuncheon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Any other settings you're planning to use this system for?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 12:50:14 PM »
I definitely have an inkling for a Firefly game in this system, especially after the way of looking at it that DFRPG brings as opposed to SotC.

You definitely want to check out Diaspora, too.

I'm looking at DFRPG as a possibility for reviving my long-dormant Freeport D&D game. D20 was sucking up way too much time prepping stats and not enough prepping story.

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
I ran a short 4-session campaign of John Constantine: Hellblazer with the pre-order. All my players keep gushing about this system. I really love the idea of a FATE based fantasy sytem.

Seconded for ARCANOS!!!

Offline Tzarii

• Conversationalist
  • Always out front yet behind the scenes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 04:36:15 PM »
The City Watch Series would be an amazing environment for the fate system (Night watch day watch twilight watch final watch.) It is a good system.  I do like it a lot.
I am Intell.  I am powered by coffee, rage and despair.  But mostly the first two.

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 03:16:39 AM »

Seconded for ARCANOS!!!

Hah! Another true believer!

Offline aumshantih

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 12:33:42 AM »
While in the shower, I had another idea for a game that could translate over to DFRPG pretty nicely:  Nephilim, the Multisim/Chaosium RPG in which one plays eternally reincarnating spirits that possess human hosts over the course of history.

System-wise things match up okay.  Using Aspects to build your mortal character, and then having "Past Lives" be related to important previous reincarnation ("guest starring" other Nephilim in the troupe) would work out really well.

There is already the distinction between Spells (Evocation) and Alchemy/Summoning (Thamaturgy) in the system.  The elements match up okay with Nephilim's Ka Fields- earth, air, fire, and water, and moon as spirit/fifth element.  Nephilim has more elements, like Solar Ka, Orichalcum, and Black Moon Ka, but some of that can be handled as Aspected Magic of different flavors.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Malazan book of the Fallen

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 05:07:52 PM »
Malazan book of the Fallen

Aspects include:Tiste Andii/ Three straight chapters of whining, then killing
                      Tiste Edur/ Three straight chapters of being fooled, then killing
                      Tiste Liosan/ Occasionally seen, always humiliated
                      Jhagut/ Extinct(ish)
                      T'lan Imass/ Fun with ethnic cleansing
                      K'chain Che'melle/ Long tails are ill
                      Forkul Assail/ Happy! Crazy! Death! Love!
                      Assorted Erickson Characters/ Jar-Jar impersonaters
                      Everyone Else/ Total F!@#$*^g Badass

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
The beta version of Dresden has really got me into the FATE system, I really like it. It could be very quickly replacing Cortex as my favorite system... That being said my monthly supernatural game may be taking a change from Cortex to FATE.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
The beta version of Dresden has really got me into the FATE system, I really like it. It could be very quickly replacing Cortex as my favorite system... That being said my monthly supernatural game may be taking a change from Cortex to FATE.
Cortex buddies for the win! I ran a Serenity game in it and am running a homebrew fantasy game at the moment.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »
Cortex buddies for the win! I ran a Serenity game in it and am running a homebrew fantasy game at the moment.

Currently I'm playtesting Smallville for them (and thus is all i can say), I tested Leverage as well. My group rotates through 4 games a month, meaning each game setting is a monthly session (and we have another dozen or two settings we still want to run... damn the lotto for not giving me money and allowing me more game time!) Currently 3/4 of the games we are running is cortex (Supernatural, Firefly) or Cortex+ (Leverage), the other game is a Rifts game (nostalgia ftw), Dresden will be replacing our Firefly Campaign.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 02:35:19 AM »
i was thinking of trying psyren for this. Its an awesome manga and i think this would work awesome for it.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »
I'm pretty certain that if i wanted to run a superheros game, I'd probably start with DFRPG.  It would definitely require some tinkering, but I think most of that would be in dialing the number up higher, and re-flavoring some of the mechanics.

For instance, 8 refresh for a low powered, e.g. Daredevil, supers game, going up to 20 or more for Justice League/Avengers level play.  Global Supers level play, 20 refresh, 60 skill points, skill cap Epic (+7).

Lore covers super-science, such as gamma radiation, alien tech, fusing adamantium to someone's bones, Time travel, etc.  Other minor tweaks to the skill list would probably be in order.

The refresh and compel system gives us a good way to answer the question "How can Batman and Lex Luthor be in the same league as Superman?"  Because superman spent about 18 of his 20 refresh on powers, while Bats and Lex have nothing but "normal human" stunts, and probably a pile fate points left over, including the +3 (at least) "normal human" bonus.

It also does great job of giving "With great power comes great responsibility" a mechanical punch.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »
Anyone want to GM one of these other settings as a Play By Post game? Although I love the Dresden Files, I'm a FATE fan first and foremost and I'd love to try out the rules in a different setting. The play by post game I'm GMing has settled into a nice groove now and I'd like to give playing a shot :)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »
As i mentioned previously i have so many games i want to run and so little time.

A zombie survival game is one that we are all pretty excited about, and yet to do. the game would be us, the players, and take place in our town. Originally we planned to use Cortex but I think FATE would work WAY better.

Also a Gargoyles game (ya know the old Disney cartoon) with a setting mildly altered to allow a wider plot-base for the game as well as character design.

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
I'm planning on combining DFRPG magic with Legends of Anglerre to run a fantasy based game in the World of Midnight.