Author Topic: Any other settings you're planning to use this system for?  (Read 10289 times)

Offline Odd Man Out

• Participant
    • View Profile
Any other settings you're planning to use this system for?
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:50:47 PM »
I love the Dresden Files and have a game set there in the works. Still, the baseline system looks easy enough to tweak for a number of other settings and I'm curious to know which ones people are looking at and why.

Exalted looks like a pretty good match, you'd have to figure out a way to change spell durations and alter some price/benefits on the various forms of magic. Fate Points keeps the resource management alive while Compels/Invocations largely take the place of stunts.

Negima might be a good match; you'd have to increase power and durability but all the base effects are handled by the system.

There's any number of JRPGs that might fit as well; Shadow Hearts, Breath of Fire, and Star Ocean holding dear places. Of the three, Shadow Hearts is almost possible to create without adjusting things all that much; Yuri and Co. just have really high Refresh Costs. Breath of Fire is pretty much the same; older dragons seem to line up in terms of power for each.

So, what would you try to run with it and which parts would you tweak?

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Any other settings you're planning to use this system for?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
I've been working on a late copper age, early bronze age setting for a while now, so I decided to use that for the first DFRPG campaign. So far it is the easiest time I've ever had taking a system from the time period it was written for and moving it to a different time period. At some point, I would love to see how it handles in a far-flung future setting.

The current campaign is soon going to be focusing around Deities and the struggles between them, so I'm going to be supplementing a lot of the "Plot Device" level beings in DFRPG with stuff from the In Nomine setting. Its focus around story telling should make transition to DFRPG fairly easy.

I'm also planning to port a lot of the original World of Darkness setting into the later parts of my campaign. I especially want to increase the variety of vampires by breaking them up into clans where appropriate and introducing new vampires where they don't fit the Dresdenverse courts. I personally don't foresee any problems with these ports either as when you get down to it, both systems are Skill vs. Difficulty based, the difference just being how the result to compare to the difficulty is calculated.

I'm not doing it now, but at some point in the future I'm sure I'll run a game in the AD&D Forgotten Realms/Spelljammer setting.
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:15:11 PM »
Last Airbender.
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:49:03 PM »
Actually, I'd like to see fate hammered into a D&D setting.  Not literally, of course, but a swords and sorcery setting would be a lot of fun.  My group is currently using 3.0/3.5 rules, but there are still a hell of a lot of limitations.  We tend to think outside the box, so not being able to call a shot or pull off a maneuver that isn't 100% standard is a pain.  And the magic system sucks.

So Evil Hat, when you catch your breath, you up for reinterpreting the classics?

You could even call it Arcanos ;)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
Star Wars - seems very well suited to it, in my opinion. Force handled by magic system.

D&D type fantasy - also think this could be a pretty sweet combo.

If I didn't like the A Song of Ice & Fire system so much, I would do a Westeros conversion. That system pretty much nails the setting, but Aspects would very cool - what with all the nicknames  :)

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 01:26:16 AM »
Actually, I'd like to see fate hammered into a D&D setting.

I did a one shot FATE D&D game this past Tuesday night. It was really stripped down and really rules light. There were just the 6 Abilities with 5 Aspects (one of which was race + class). Fate points were multiplied by 100 and called XP (although you spend them in units of 100); the multiplication let me give out minor experience awards for entertaining role play. Very good fun.

Anway, to answer the OP, I plan to run Buffy. Most of the stuff I want is right there out of the box. I mostly just need to keep a restriction on magic. Much of what I'd need is covered by mortal stunts and by physical supernatural powers, with the rest rounded out with a few other tricks.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 02:53:42 AM »
Right now I'm trying to adapt the game to an intruigy game based around conspiracies and psychic powers.  Evocations work pretty well without much in the way of adaptation.  Right now my only issues are figuring out an appropriate refresh cost for the various psychic disciplines, which I stole from GURPS.  I'm also dithering about whether to incorporate elements of thaumurturgy.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Draamal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 11:47:32 PM »
My GM and I were just saying today that this system would probably work for Codex Alera as well.  Almost like it was planned.   ;)

Offline sak0232

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:46:52 AM »
Not any plans right now, but I think it'd make a wonderful system for Buffy/Angel...
Vampires = Black Court
The spellcasting is roughly the same, both evocations and thaumaturgy

just a thought...

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »
I sort of surprised no one's come up with this one just yet...

And with the current RPG for it not withstanding...

Doctor Who.
Granted, his Scholarship would be at least Epic level, if not Legendary...
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline aumshantih

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 03:05:34 AM »
I've been running a homebrew game entitled "Purana" for a while, set in various mythic Indian vistas.  I've mostly been adapting SOTC, but I look forward to adding a more streamlined stunt mechanic and supernatural powers to it from the Dresden Files. 

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 07:27:15 AM »
I'm tempted to try Shadowrun with it.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
Fullmetal Alchemist, I think the flexible magic system would work good as alchemy system.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 08:11:20 AM »
Knowing my regularly group, probably goofy over the top swords and sorcery. The basic setting concept would be that all lyrics of all heavy metal songs are true.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 09:21:36 PM »
Simon R green's The Night Side would fit this rule system rather well i think.
Brian Blacknight