Author Topic: "By Invitation Only" - 2nd, 3rd and 4th law loopholes?  (Read 5327 times)

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: "By Invitation Only" - 2nd, 3rd and 4th law loopholes?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
But the vast majority of modern medical knowledge was gained with small, patient, rational, incremental steps that expanded on the knowledge that came before it.  Also, in this analogy, how the heck do medical doctors get trained without becoming irrevocably evil?

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »
Also, in this analogy, how the heck do medical doctors get trained without becoming irrevocably evil?

An analogy is just an analogy. you can practice modern medicine without being Hannibal lector, partially because there people to teach you how to do it[the early medical experiments where pretty gruesome vivisecting animals and courpses is just gross]. and a good part because its not magic. science dosent change who you fundamentally are ever y time you "use it". magic dose.
Brian Blacknight

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 10:49:44 PM »
Also, you are neglecting the application of science to magic to healing.

If you know the scientific medical reason why something is happening, you might be able to affect minute and accurate change with magic and cure the ailment.

-edit-

Also, I suggest that a biomancer practice on puppies. Seriously, using magic on animals is not going to give a lawbreaker, ever, and would give the fledgling biomancer enough experience to not kill his first human patient.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:54:19 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 11:28:44 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Ah, well, see, when I wrote magic, I was thinking of human magic. Fae magic of a high order might be able to pull that off, yes. But I'd say, to access that kind of Fae magic, you've already made the choice to be one of the Fae and the Laws of Magic don't apply to the Fae. At least in my personal interpretation.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 11:50:25 PM »
However, I think an enchanted item that is a glove that acts like a hand that goes up your arm as well would be a much more interesting and less edgy way to do it. I'm not really sure if that's even possible for Dresdenverse magic to do either, but it would provide the same function to you with none of this mucking about with the Law.

I think that is the rather clever way to do it. Also makes a great focus item that polite people would not take away...

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 02:27:28 AM »
In further thinking about the
(click to show/hide)
, used above by Moriden - perhaps that's part of why it's a Law of Magic for the White Council. It's technically possible to do and it totally works and it will do what you want it to do ... but humanity as users of magic can't really reach that point without breaking horribly and going off the rails.

I mean, nobody went over to
(click to show/hide)
and told them to atone for their sins when they did that. The Laws of Magic didn't apply to them. Just like it didn't apply when
(click to show/hide)
. It doesn't apply because that's not who falls under the rule of the Law.

Basically, I don't think that example really applies to a Law discussion. The Laws of Magic apply internally to the White Council and who they police. I don't think Mab, Marcone or Lara Raith could give a good gorram about them being enforced, just like the White Council doesn't give a good gorram about how Marcone runs his criminal empire internally.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location