Author Topic: Every level of mind control and the magic system  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
Every level of mind control and the magic system
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »
How does it work? I totally understand that its way against the laws of magic, but still. How can a spellcaster use his power to control the mind of another, especially using evocation?

I understand that evocation would be for fast and limited control (such as a small suggestion, or a distracting/stun spell), but what would be the mechanics? Like for physical effect you determine the level of mental consequence you want to inflict (+mental stress bar) and that's your spell power required?

What element would be required?

And what about illusions? Those are pretty much mental attacks. How do you manage them with the evocation system? And would it be a breach of the laws of magic?

Thanks!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Every level of mind control and the magic system
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »
Normally, mind control is Thaumaturgy. Look under Psychomancy specifically. For Evocation mind control, I'd suggest most of it's probably a Block against specific actions...though a weapon inflicting Mental Stress might make some sense as well. In terms of Element, Mental Effects are clearly under Spirit, as far as Evocation goes.

As for illusions, there are two ways to do them: As a mental effect (breaks the Laws), or as a construct of light and sound (doesn't break the Laws), either seems likely to use Spirit, though Air might be involved in the second one as well. From a mechanics perspective they're more maneuvers, or a special kind of block (ala Veils) than they are an attack.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:38:43 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:14:16 AM »
Evocation mind control would be along the likes of what Corpsetaker used on Harry in Dead Beat. Throwing psychic pressure against a mind so that they can't run, or cast spells, or what have you. Nothing nearly as sophisticated as what Molly has been shown to do but useful nonetheless.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:19:38 AM »
You can do Psychomancy as Evocations if you pick up Kemmlerian Necromancy, but a Kemmlerian Necromancer really isn't worth it. It's a refresh 15 character considering your likely to have at least 3 fully upgraded lawbreakers if you want to pull of a Necromancer well.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:50:56 AM »
I would also say, what the
(click to show/hide)
did to
(click to show/hide)
in
(click to show/hide)
could be an Evocation mind attack.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:15:02 AM »
Probably wouldn't be able to use that as a PC though, since it took approximately several millenia for him to build up that kind of power. Unfortunately you can't play as a god in this rpg, fun though it might have been.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."