Author Topic: Question about Aspects created by Maneuvers  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Tambryn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Question about Aspects created by Maneuvers
« on: April 24, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
An example: The PCs are in a bar and things start to get harry with a couple drunken regulars. One of the drunks is carrying a pistol and the PCs notice this in time to overturn a table before he is able to draw and start shooting. This Maneuver results in an Aspect like "Overturned Table for Cover". The PC that turned over the table is allowed a Tag for a free use of the Aspect.

The thing that is kind of confusing me is the continuing use of this Aspect. Does the player really have to spend a fate point every round that he wants to take advantage of the cover provided by the table. This seems pretty steep to me.

Granted, I have yet to play the game and am just now digesting the material. There may certainly be something that only becomes obvious in play that will mitigate my concern.

Tam

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Aspects created by Maneuvers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »
You're right about how it works, and it would get really expensive to do what you're suggesting. But that's not really what you're supposed to do. You move on, away from the table (as it's riddled with bullet holes), or stay behind it and return fire. Either way, you're not just sitting there using the Aspect...the Aspect buys you time to do something else. Fights are supposed to be way more cinematic than just taking cover behind a table for five rounds occasionally returning a single shot's worth of fire, you should be either taking the gunman out or working on your cunning escape plan to avoid dying.