Author Topic: Dresdenverse Aspects Compelathon  (Read 20980 times)

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Dresdenverse Aspects Compelathon
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2010, 02:35:41 AM »

Every Day Matters

You are member of the secret council of the Days

Invoke:  To get help from a fellow conspirator when you need it most
Compel:  To be required to help a fellow conspirator when they need it most

(How about a rule where we interpret the aspects in an unexpected way?)

Turn the other cheek
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Michael,HandofGod

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2010, 04:27:41 AM »
You believe in non-confrontation, in loving your enemy.

Invoke:  You are able to easily ignore threats or insults that might provoke others into violence. (+2 defense against Intimidation or other similar social attacks intended to anger)
Compel:  You have a reputation for being easy to push around, and some have little respect for you. (-2 to your Intimidation attempts)

They Never Taught Us This In School...
I don't believe in things that go bump in the night.  It's more like a thud...

One, two!  One, two!  And through, and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went gallumphing back.
                                            ~Lewis Carroll

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:30 AM »

Your studies were in depth but not very broad in scope.

Invoke: You can invoke to gain a bonus to Lore to assess or research subjects related to your initial three Evocation elements.
Compel: A compel can increase the difficulty of assessing or researching an unrelated subject by two.

alternatively

Invoke: You can invoke to gain a bonus to Lore to assess or research when the difficulty is equal to or less than your lore.
Compel: A compel can increase the difficulty of Lore checks to assess or research a difficulty above your Lore by two.

Dying is easy, living is hard

Offline Big Simon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 08:17:59 AM »

There are some things they teach in school, but others you just learn from the school of hard knocks.

• Invoke:  Sometimes you have to fall back on your street cred.  Invoke this aspect for a bonus when your badass reputation might give you a little boost.
  • Compel:  Every time you run into something just a little more bizarre about the world of the weird, it freaks you out.

EDIT:  D'oh!  Did it again!  Well, here goes.

Dying is easy, living is hard

• Invoke:  Life has made you hard.  Invoke in order to overcome a plea to your empathy.
  • Compel:  Life has taken its toll on you, and sometimes you just want to give up...

Pick one of the following:
  • Everybody's A Critic...
  • What's Behind Door Number Two?
  • Rapier Wit
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:21:33 AM by Big Simon »

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »
Rapier Wit

Your magical talking sword always has a quip at the ready.

Invoke: Get a bonus to noticing something because your intelligent sword notices something you missed.
Compel:  Automatically fail an attempt at diplomacy when the sword starts mouthing off to the other guy

Your aspect:  In Soviet Russia, problem solves you!

And I encourage anyone playing to use non-standard interpretation of offered aspects :D
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »
You come from a bizarro style part of the Nevernever where all things are turned on their head.

Invoke: Sometimes you forget what's what in the real world and so become almost immune to social attacks, taking attempts at intimidation as polite conversation and seduction as cold indifference.
Compel: In addition to the corollary of your invoke you also sometimes have issues remembering if you're supposed to use the band-aid or the bowie knife to patch up your friends wound.

Sing a song of six-pence

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2010, 12:15:59 PM »
Sing a song of six-pence

You have a childlike nature, particularly in your love of rhymes and simple songs.

Invoke: Get a bonus for creating songs and rhymes when entertaining, or when talking to children and the fae.

Compel: The GM can decide you must speak in rhyme or in alliterative sentences for a social conflict. Failure to do so automatically fails the conflict (fun :D)

No guts, no glory

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »
You like to be really messy in a sword fight. Slicing, slashing and gutting left, right and center.

Invoke: Basically you are really good with the weapon of your choice and you can invoke for that extra damage or that spectacular gutting move you seem to fancy so much.

Compell: The GM can make you to be after the gore, even if you want to be subtle for a change. And trust me ... He will ... A lot! Nothing batter then a good splatter scene. The downside is, that you leave a certain trademark slaughter fest whenever you are compelled this way. The cops will surely be able to figure out who does all that violence after a while.

Choose:
1.My field of corn is but a crop of tears.
2.There is no business like show buisness.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:26:49 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2010, 04:24:45 PM »
There Is No Business Like Showbusiness

Your character is a born showman, making a production out of everything.

Invoke:  Bonus to presence rolls, anything that involves making a social impression.

Compel:  The GM might compel this to make the player overreact to something, being 'dramatic.'

Carry On My Wayward Son

~Lewis Carroll

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2010, 10:44:52 PM »
There Is No Business Like Showbusiness

Your character is a born showman, making a production out of everything.

Invoke:  Bonus to presence rolls, anything that involves making a social impression.

Compel:  The GM might compel this to make the player overreact to something, being 'dramatic.'

Carry On My Wayward Son

There is a saying: "The cleverer gives in". You tend to be the cleverer. Sometimes a debate over something simple isn't worth the bickering. (I hope i get the English right on this one).

Invoke: "Tricky to invoke this Aspect is." In a social conflict you are very adept in recognizing what your opponent is after. Which gives you a sometimes much needed edge. Invoke for +2 on your social defense skills.

Compel: A GM or even a fellow player will compel this Aspect whenever there is a debate over the course of action. When you take the fate point you have to give in to what your allies want to do.

Duct tape Wizard
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2010, 12:35:02 AM »
Duct tape Wizard

You're used to just making do with the items you have on hand for your Magic.

Invoke: You can invoke this aspect against the complexity to see if you're prepared to cast a Ritual
  or on Lore to see if you have the right expendable magic item or potion on hand.
Compel: Can be compelled against Difficulty rolls to put power into your sloppy constructs or the effects
  of your expendable items and potions.

Darkest just before the dawn.
And please, we're not all vampires, no obvious Day/Night bonuses.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 03:31:48 AM »
You find hope even in the bleakest situations.

Invoke:  Get bonuses to rolls when a member of your party has been taken out, or you have taken more than half your available stress track.

Compel:  Causes the character to be foolishly optimistic, often overconfident.

The Few and the Proud

~Lewis Carroll

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »
You tend to associate yourself with truly exceptional people.

Invoke: Introduce a contact with a Superb level in one skill who happens to be available to help you.

Compel: You're GM make compel you to treat 'average' individuals with disdain, seriously limiting your options in interactions.

Now I know my Z, Y, X

Offline Big Simon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2010, 04:02:56 AM »
Now I know my Z, X, Y...

You tend to think a little differently than others, always trying to find a better perspective.  Sometimes, of course, that gets you in trouble.

• Invoke:  Problems can be puzzling, and sometimes they don't require a straightforward attack to solve them.  Invoke for a +2 bonus when dealing with a mind boggling situation, a wily enemy, or a Rubik's Cube.
  • Compel:  Sometimes people just take offense at your way of thinking.  This aspect may be compelled when you are in social conflict and "thinking outside the box" for +2 defense against your "attacks".

Two I've already suggested, and one new one:
  • Everybody's A Critic...
  • What's Behind Door Number Two?
  • A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »
What's Behind Door Number Two?

Inspired by the Monty Haul problem you managed to master the statistics involved in games of 'chance' and bend them to your favor for fun and profit.

Invoke: When you need money fast you can always find a radio program or carnival to pick up some quick prizes.  Gain a +2 on a resource check for any item reasonably used as a prize (such as a new car or vacation package)
Compel: You're enemies know that you always try to cover the angles and can compel to make you hesitate when a new variable is introduced.

Just the combination of preparedness and opportunity.