Author Topic: Why and Can  (Read 4940 times)

The Werewolf

Why and Can
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:47:27 AM »
why is modular abilities -2 + how ever many refresh you in, but you can't use two points?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Why and Can
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:53:16 AM »
Because it lets you choose supernatural powers on the fly, and then change those powers out for something else when you are in a different form.  That is a very powerful ability, and makes shapeshifting rather cheap if you can shift into multiple forms.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:54:06 AM »
because it's more versitile than basic powers thus your paying the -2 for the added versitility. At least thats what i took from it. ;D
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:36:23 AM »
why is modular abilities -2 + how ever many refresh you in, but you can't use two points?

Seriously?

Compare spending 6 refresh to be able to use every reasonable 4-refresh ability set in the book (which would you like today? Supernatural Strength, Speed, Toughness, or Recovery? Maybe two Inhumans instead? Or maybe Claws today, Inhuman Strength, and Wings?) to spending that 6 refresh on a fixed set you can't change.

The benefit of that flexibility is pretty freaking obvious. The ability to *adapt* is huuuuuuge.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:09:20 AM »
Quick question on modular abilities... YS does not say that you HAVE to have other shape-shifting abilities...

Can modular abilities be taken on it's own? (Just wanted to confirm that I was reading it right)

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:15:37 AM »
I really doubt you can use the modular abilities if you don't have the ability to shift into an appropriate form.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:21:16 AM »
Why not? It seems an appropriate representation of someone using magcal energy to "jack themselves up" Shadowrun Adept style, and can probably be used for other, similar, things as well.

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
I really doubt you can use the modular abilities if you don't have the ability to shift into an appropriate form.

I kinda agree, kinda don't.  Depends how you think of it.  Some things (wings perhaps, claws?) yes, but if it is the ability to adjust you physical form, what about adjusting you muscles to be stronger one time, or faster another, make your skin tougher? Etc... I can see something like that being possible without changing your entire form, hence my asking of the question.  Just trying to clarify exactly what was intended by the ability.

And if you can't take it without any other shape shifting abilities, perhaps that that should be more explicitly stated?

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »
I think this is going to be one of those "You need to talk with your group and GM in particular" issues. There are some ways of justifying modular abilities without full shapeshifting, but that's going to put some limits on what you can do, and everyone needs to have a pretty good idea of what you're after, to avoid mid-session "Wait, you're WHAT?" record scratches.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »
I can see someone coming up with a character concept that explained modular abilities (and other such powers) via a "I willingly get possessed by a creature that confers me X" without that actually resulting in a shapechange of the body.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
There are some ways of justifying modular abilities without full shapeshifting, but that's going to put some limits on what you can do, and everyone needs to have a pretty good idea of what you're after, to avoid mid-session "Wait, you're WHAT?" record scratches.

I like the idea of instead of it being any, you make a list of the abilities ahead of time, so it is clear you can only select among such and such powers.

and thanks for the official word Iago, much appreciated.  ( i am taking your statement to mean, "yes, can be solo, but you better have a concept that explains it"!! )

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 12:48:39 AM »
( i am taking your statement to mean, "yes, can be solo, but you better have a concept that explains it"!! )

That's really true for everything. Yes, you can have almost any power you can afford -- but you've gotta establish the template (along with the attached high concept) & have it pass the sniff test at the table.
Fred Hicks

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 11:00:57 PM »
If you use modular abilities to take toughness do you always use the same catch or can you change it?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »
If you use modular abilities to take toughness do you always use the same catch or can you change it?

Depends on how you justify it. If it's a physical weak point? Sure. If it's something more mystical like Cold Iron for a shapeshifting Fae? Not so much. Either way, it's the adjusted costs after the Catch you need to pay for out of the Modular Ability pool (see the Fetches in OW if you don't believe me).

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
IMO -- at my table -- if the Catch isn't always the same, then it's not worth any points. If there's no way people can research it, and you can shift it to be something else each time someone stumbles into what it is, then that's a no rebate thang.
Fred Hicks