Author Topic: Custom Fate Tokens  (Read 8368 times)

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
Re: Custom Fate Tokens
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »
If you're keeping count to work out if its worth it - I'll buy about 30-40 of them.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »
If you're keeping count to work out if its worth it - I'll buy about 30-40 of them.

Me too.
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
You already got me for thirty, but hell, I'll go up to 50 if it makes this a reality  :)

They would make for great table prizes as well.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »
Heh. We'll see, we'll see.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »
Whats the possibility of this happening?  I'd get in on it for 30-40 chips.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
It's a good question. Can you ask it in August? My July is totally on fire!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »
It's a good question. Can you ask it in August? My July is totally on fire!

Not a problem, I'll put it on my calendar.

Offline The Undead Detective

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
Looking into cost for these and am finding that for a decent clay chip the price is floating around 60 cents per chip plus shipping. Even with a 25% markup thats only 75 cents. I think $7.50 for a set of ten would be a fair price. Here is a link to one of the product I found:

http://www.pokerchiplounge.com/custom-gaming-products/custom-printed-poker-chips/custom-inlay-poker-chips/13-gram-6-stripe-clay-custom-poker-chips.html

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »
Looking into cost for these and am finding that for a decent clay chip the price is floating around 60 cents per chip plus shipping. Even with a 25% markup thats only 75 cents. I think $7.50 for a set of ten would be a fair price. Here is a link to one of the product I found:

http://www.pokerchiplounge.com/custom-gaming-products/custom-printed-poker-chips/custom-inlay-poker-chips/13-gram-6-stripe-clay-custom-poker-chips.html

If I wanted to sell this as a bonafide product rather than a "hey, let's coordinate a group effort" thing, the markup wouldn't be 25%, it'd be more like... 300%. Because if you sell a product into distribution, you're only going to get about 40% of it back, minus costs of shipping and assembly and construction. So what I'd need to find as a publisher is a way to get those chip costs down to about 10 or 15 cents per, if I wanted to put out a reasonably priced ten or more chip set in the $8 range.
Fred Hicks

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »
If I wanted to sell this as a bonafide product rather than a "hey, let's coordinate a group effort" thing, the markup wouldn't be 25%, it'd be more like... 300%. Because if you sell a product into distribution, you're only going to get about 40% of it back, minus costs of shipping and assembly and construction. So what I'd need to find as a publisher is a way to get those chip costs down to about 10 or 15 cents per, if I wanted to put out a reasonably priced ten or more chip set in the $8 range.

hurm... how many do you think as a publisher you would sell over the course of a year?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »
hurm... how many do you think as a publisher you would sell over the course of a year?

Hard to say. It's the sort of thing that people can easily home-brew themselves.
Fred Hicks

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
Hard to say. It's the sort of thing that people can easily home-brew themselves.

Would it be fair to say about 40% of your direct orders would be interested in these chips?  If so how many would that be?  .....

Never mind.. Don't answer that.. you said your busy.. I'll wait till August. :)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
Would it be fair to say about 40% of your direct orders would be interested in these chips?  If so how many would that be?  .....

I don't have a good idea of how much interest there is in an accessory product relative to the base product.

For *supplements*, for example, the conventional wisdom is that you'll sell around 25% the volume on a supplement as you did on the core product.

Accessory sales may be an even smaller percentage but with wider variance, so 40% sounds really high to me.

Direct orders were around 1600, with total sales volume so far in the mid-4000's (including those 1600).
Fred Hicks

Offline shadowlost

• Conversationalist
  • I'm the Dark God whose mind Shades came from...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 07:52:20 AM »
I'd gladly invest money in this
Instead of a denarian. I got a copper piece. Now I'm host to the fallen one known as Cheapassius.

When I read DF Spoilers Thread. It's like Occam's Razor be damned. :D

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 01:43:21 PM »
I can't find any right now, but aren't there collaborative buying websites where you can pay a set amount of money in and, if everyone does it and the total is reached then the money is spent on the target but if there isn't enough money then it's all returned?

I know they exist as I've seen them used to fund a variety of grassroots projects, allowing people to donate money to something and know that it will happen.

Aha, I knew I'd find one. Something like this - http://www.kickstarter.com/ is what I had in mind. It's 'All or Nothing' funding, so you only pay your share when the tokens are going to be made. Perhaps Evil Hat games could set it up, design the token at a reasonable price i.e. some mark-up but not 300% as there is no risk, just enough to cover postage. Then just set a price per 10 tokens and everyone who donates gets tokens equal to their donation.

Of course if there aren't enough contributors then no one gets charged, no one gets tokens and Evil Hat has done everything it could for their fan base. Alternatively, it could be arranged by one of you instead but everyone trusts Evil Hat and I'm sure they're in a better position to post tokens out to people.