Author Topic: Swords Nitpick  (Read 7773 times)

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Swords Nitpick
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 01:28:51 AM »
Honestly i always saw it was updating the swords to blend in more with the times with Ammorichias' wielders refusing to.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:41:03 AM »
I believe he referring to the marginalia on ys278 converning how the swords of the cross channel the faith of all the christians on the planet.

Marginalia. I learned a new word today. One that sounds like a terrible disease.
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 01:47:13 AM »
if contracting it means that no matter what you do on the computer you always have this forum and the pdfs open and ready to go then i am pretty sure i have contacted Marginalia...

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 02:15:46 AM »
The spear did kill him, but only because the nails were taking too long and the sun was going down so they had to return to their homes for the Sabbath. But to me that is like saying "No officer I didn't kill him, i just held his arms so the other guy could kill him."

But to each their own

Actually the spear did not kill him.  It merely confirmed that he was dead.  This was after they had decided not to break his legs to speed up the process.  The spear when it entered his side let loose a flow of blood and water.  The separation of blood into the red and clear liquids doesn't happen unless you are dead and the blood is no longer moving. 
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 02:22:22 AM »
Actually the spear did not kill him.  It merely confirmed that he was dead.  This was after they had decided not to break his legs to speed up the process.  The spear when it entered his side let loose a flow of blood and water.  The separation of blood into the red and clear liquids doesn't happen unless you are dead and the blood is no longer moving. 

Well there ya go, proof i don't know everything and should stop acting like i do *bows and conceeds point to SaintAndSinner*

Which just puts even more weight behind my not considering and instrument of evil.

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 02:34:28 AM »
Well there ya go, proof i don't know everything and should stop acting like i do *bows and conceeds point to SaintAndSinner*

Which just puts even more weight behind my not considering and instrument of evil.

No problem.  B-)

I'm a pathologist so these sort of details stand out to me (everyones a geek in their own way).
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:38 AM »
I thought about the Holy Lance as a prop for a knightish kind of char too. For me it's just a neat way to keep in line with the Novels (
(click to show/hide)
).

A member of my group thought of the Lance as a weapon of evil too, but honestly that never crossed my mind. After some research I can see why you might get this impression though. For a long time the lance was owned by german kings and was used as a base of their royality. It was rumored that an army carrying the Lance in front of it could not be defeated. When Hitler and the Nazis came along they tryed to incorporate the lance into their propaganda (I know ... sounds just like "Raiders of the lost Ark"). So it's kind of tainted by them.

Longinus testified that Jesus was realy Gods son and converted to Christianity after the crucifixion. At some point he was declared a saint.
(click to show/hide)

Over the years several copys were made of the relique. Who knows where the Lance has ended up and to what purpuse it might be used.

For those who want wo learn more. There is a very nice Wikipedia article about the Holy Lance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:28:52 AM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
Nothing to say that there couldn't be a Muslim equivalent to the Knights of the Cross (the Sword of Allah?), bearing the sword of Muhammad. The sword could only be used by someone willing to submit themselves totally to the will of God. Sort of a Zen combat state.

The Knights do have a varied background, but there's nothing to say that they're the only Champions of God out there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:09:30 PM by Valarian »
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »
Nothing to say that there couldn't be a Muslim equivalent to the Knights of the Cross (the Sword of Allah?), bearing the sword of Muhammad. The sword could only be used by someone willing to submit themselves totally to the will of God. Sort of a Zen combat state.

The Knights do have a varied background, but there's nothing to say that they're the only Champions of God out there.

Exactly ... an other player of my group was tossing aground the idea of some kind of "Staf of Budda" and a Shao-Lin Monk wealding it the other day. If you are going for other deitys just think along the lines of the Shinto Kami ... how many are there? 5 million?

If you want to play a Knight of the Cross kind of PC but want to keep the Dreden-Lore intact it should be easy to find a deity to work with.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 02:50:41 PM »
Exactly ... an other player of my group was tossing aground the idea of some kind of "Staf of Budda" and a Shao-Lin Monk wealding it the other day. If you are going for other deitys just think along the lines of the Shinto Kami ... how many are there? 5 million?

If you want to play a Knight of the Cross kind of PC but want to keep the Dreden-Lore intact it should be easy to find a deity to work with.

A Buddhist Shao-lin Monk who is in everyway like the Knight of the Cross.. except you know.  As a Shao-Lin Monk following Buddhism.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »
A Buddhist Shao-lin Monk who is in everyway like the Knight of the Cross.. except you know.  As a Shao-Lin Monk following Buddhism.

What do I know of it? ... It wasn't my idea!  :P

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 06:58:26 PM »
The "Sword of Allah" has the advantage of being a title actually used in history. It's a title that was supposed to have been given to one of the Companions by Muhammad himself (I don't know whether there was an actual sword involved though).
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Isenhertz

• Lurker
  • Chronomancer Cop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »
Maybe Zulfiqar is still up and about? That would fill the "Sword of Islam" slot pretty nicely. ;)

For Shinto, there's no way around the Ama-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi/Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, the sword of Susano-o himself. Possibly the Seven-Branched Sword?

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
Hey thank you Isenhertz (and welcome to the forums)! Even more potential Items of Power!

Man ... there must be a buttload of demonic evil in the world to merit all this powerfull holy weaponry...  ;D

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
I've always felt that champions of Buddhism/Eastern Martial Artists should have a slightly different set of powers, based around a high Discipline score, rather than a high Conviction score.  Just a feeling about the flavor of that sort of archetype, and the portrayal of that tradition in fiction.  YMMV.