Author Topic: High Concepts I'm Playing With  (Read 8012 times)

Offline JG_Mage

• Conversationalist
  • "Lies. Mab cannot change who your are."
    • View Profile
High Concepts I'm Playing With
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:39:23 AM »
Some high concepts I'm playing with to learn character creation.

• Recovering Third Eye Junkie Putting self in harms way for a natural high.
  • Sinner Sent out to Repent Like Dirty Dozen.
  • Mother Working Off Debt to a Faerie Court. Child is in protective custody of said faerie court.

What are you working on?

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Re: High Concepts I'm Playing With
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:09:30 AM »
I had a Werewolf/Focused Practitioner, his bare bones cost being 9 Refresh(8 without Pack instincts for a "Lone Wolf") so he'd either have to be in a PL7/8 game and evolve powers or start off in a PL10 game. He was finicky... I haven't touched him in awhile but I'll eventually get back to him.

I'm semi-interested in a non-believer Champion of God, but worried I'd be stepping on Sanya's toes.

Robin Hood/Goblin Knight is interesting, but it would take quite awhile for me to figure out his abilities. He's on the deep back burner in my mind.

A Scion-type character like Kincaid or Mouse is also greatly appealing to me.

I'm also working on a custom Banshee, not a character an NPC monster.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline JG_Mage

• Conversationalist
  • "Lies. Mab cannot change who your are."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:35 AM »
I'm semi-interested in a non-believer Champion of God, but worried I'd be stepping on Sanya's toes.

I'm sure Sanya is the one copying, like Billy Idol copied Spike. :D

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:20:07 AM »

Depends on how you spin it. An Agnostic says, "I Don't Know". Although, I would give serious props to someone who could justify an Atheistic Champion of God.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:25:09 AM »
I have three I am working on that cover a broad area so I can fill gaps the other players in my group leave when they make their characters.

Fake Psychic Werewolf: uses his "Psychic Nose"(easier than telling people you're a werewolf) to find people and things for a living, also masquerades as a Minor Talent to protect that community from predators. Thanks to a run in with a "grateful" fae he now actually does have a psychic nose, Cassandra's tears in olfactory form.

Goblin Knight: Check the "local practitioner seeks Sponsor..." thread for more details, he got lost in the never never and ended up killing a creature for food, it was being hunted by the Erlking and he offered his service in repayment.

Grey Sheep of White Council Family: Sorcerer who had someone close to him gunned down by the Red Court during the war because he was the weak link in a White Council dynasty family because he refused formal training. He rose her body as a Zombie in a twisted attempt to bring her back. Horrified at what he had done he stopped using magic for a few years until the events of his first novel forced him to start again. He is taking it slow and avoiding both necromancy and his family due to being terrified of being found out as a Warlock.

... wow, now that I sat down and looked at them all I see how much more work I put into 1 and 3, and the goblin knight is just about the powers... may have to re-write it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:22:16 PM by KnightFerrous »
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
I'm sure Sanya is the one copying, like Billy Idol copied Spike. :D
That's so meta considering James Marsters does the audiobooks  :P

Currently I'm playing a True Mortal cop who street races motorcycles at night, who may or may not evolve into a Minor Talent (Cassandra's Tears). Though I could see him going several directions supernaturally, he'll likely end up a monster hunter sporting a shotgun filled with a combination of steel shot and rock salt (perhaps using his visions to hunt down evil, but then I fear I'll be going too much into the Supernatural or Angel route :P ). He's very Stunt heavy so any sort of supernatural advancement will either be far away after some Major Milestones or taken with extreme thought put into the matter, since I'd have to ax some of my stunts.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 05:36:13 AM »
Depends on how you spin it. An Agnostic says, "I Don't Know". Although, I would give serious props to someone who could justify an Atheistic Champion of God.
I'm not sure I could, without stepping on Sanya's toes. Hell, I based a D&D cosmology on half his comments about them being aliens/powerful beings, but not literal gods/angels (To be fair, I also had inspiration from Supernatural and Stargate, with a little HP Lovecraft and Hellboy thrown in).

Though I could go the Angel route, it's about Fighting the Good Fight not about who sponsors you (To be fair, listening to Small Favor on audiobook again, I think Sanya says something similar :'( . I know the OW entry for Sanya says something similar... maybe I should just play Sanya  :P )
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:37:51 AM by Mal_Luck »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 05:43:52 AM »
(To be fair, listening to Small Favor on audiobook again, I think Sanya says something similar :'( . I know the OW entry for Sanya says something similar... maybe I should just play Sanya  :P )

As statted, he's actually a Submerged level character if you fill in a few low level skills, so you actually could play Sanya.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »
As statted, he's actually a Submerged level character if you fill in a few low level skills, so you actually could play Sanya.
Not sure I could pull off the being Russian :P . Plus I'd feel, wrong roleplaying a canon character.

Of the Knights, Sanya is probably my favorite.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »
Half outsider merc: who is the protector of the savior of mankind and as a really long story

A clued in writer: he mainly is the puzzel solving type, and is fairly in the know, he also knows his way around a gun

A were-panther: a stealthy type, i have yet to come up with a plot and job for this guy

a thaumaturgy based wizard: again, i dont have a past for him, but he would be fun to play i think

A champion of god:think hugh jackmans van hellsing

A vampire assassin: he's an emissary of power, of what power i have no idea, but think alucard in the helllsing series.

and sanya's awsome  ;D
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
High Concept:  Sorcerous Scion of the Old Way
     Trouble:  Delved too deeply into Primordial  lore   
Other Aspects see below for where they came from
My friends are my family
"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last"
I protect what's mine
i lost my kitty   : /
I brought the fire!

Background: Where did you come from?
mother is sociable and strange. father is religious fanatic in the bad way. parents got divorced while he was young. his older brother is a golden boy. he studied religion and philosophy as self defense.
My friends are my family

Rising Conflict: What shaped you?
While roleplaying, accidentally joined an animistic cult, run by an insane wyld-fae/creature [Shaun] intent on transforming Talents into half-human half-other creatures. started dating a were-cat named Jessica. Successfully performed said transformation ritual on himself.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last

The Story: What was your first adventure?   "A Reckoning"
When approached by the Wardens who have discovered that Shaun [the wyld-fae creature] is breaking the Second Law of Magic, It is a close call, but when I realize that only luck allowed me to survive the ritual,and thus the others in the cult would likely die if attempting it.  I help the Warden to kill Shaun and save my friends
Jessica Kitten, Warden Aquilus
i lost my kitty   : /

Guest Star Redux: Who Else’s Path Have You Crossed?  "Spring Break Smackdown"
Brian gets visited by Jason, who drags him off to Massachusetts to help some mortal guy named Matt. Not realizing how well trained Matt is, Jason and Brian are impressed with his skill with a sniper rifle. Together they take down the vamps, with Matt providing damage and cover fire, Jason burying them and breaking them apart, and Brian following up with gasoline and matches. Turns out the vamps were looking for the Umbrorum, and Matt's parents have to move.
Other Stars : Jason Aquillus, Matthew Stone
"I brought the fire!"
Brian Blacknight

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »
I've got a couple of ideas kicking around in my head including:
  • Golden Boy of the White Council - An up-and-coming wizard from a prominent family who made their fortune in the jewelry industry. Especially adept at creating enchanted items, potions, and magical foci.
  • Were-Gator Good Ol' Boy - Raised in the swamp and able to turn himself into a gator. Good at brawlin', huntin' and tinkerin' with almost nothing in the way of social graces.
  • Were-Bear Biker - A biker without a gang affiliation who can turn himself into a grizzly, thanks to a natural family aptitude for shape-shifting.
  • Urban Sorcerer Artiste - An inner-city graffiti artist who makes his living as a thief and practices his sorcery in the warehouse he squats in.
  • Fist of God - A boxer-turned-priest who tries to spread the word in the inner-city while fighting the forces of darkness with nothing more than his faith and a mean left hook.
  • Aged Sorcerer - A practitioner who was never powerful enough to join the White Council, now visibly aged and nearing death. Obsessed with the idea of extending his own life.
  • Ex-Mafioso Disciple of Chernabog - Empowered by a dark god from his homeland of Russia, he is tasked with representing the demon's interests in the mortal world while raising his son alone.
  • Scion of Hercules - The half-divine offspring of the ancient hero, he is used to having life handed to him on a platter. The changes going on in the supernatural world forced him to be drawn in and take sides.

Hopefully these seem like some decent ideas.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:43:27 AM by Buscadera »
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 07:06:47 PM »
Urban Wendigo, Musician
Trouble: I do NOT eat people!
The ancient guardians of the nature have retreated as  mortals have expanded into the wild. This guardian has decided to stop retreating and is fulfilling his ancient calling in the big city.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »
Urban Wendigo, Musician
Trouble: I do NOT eat people!
The ancient guardians of the nature have retreated as  mortals have expanded into the wild. This guardian has decided to stop retreating and is fulfilling his ancient calling in the big city.

i like it, but according to native American myth wendigo are rather vicious corrupted cannibalistic monsters not guardians...
Brian Blacknight

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
i like it, but according to native American myth wendigo are rather vicious corrupted cannibalistic monsters not guardians...

1) Ethnic stereotyping can be very hurtful. Hence the trouble aspect, "I do NOT eat people!"

2) If Wendigos were cannibalistic then they would be eating other Wendigos. Eating people would just make them a carnivore, like a vicious, corrupted bear.

3) As for vicious and corrupted vs guardian, do you really think that the people spreading these pernicious tales have actually sat down and had a conversation with a Wendigo?

4a) A guy is in the forest, up to no good, and a Wendigo decides to put a stop to it. He jumps out of the bushes dances around making scary faces and a lot of noise. The bad guy runs away screaming like a little girl.

4b) So, I was in the forest, minding my own business, when this Wendigo jumps out of the bushes and tries to eat me. I just barely managed to fight the vicious, corrupted beast off and escape with my life.

Which of the above stories do you think he is going to tell his friends? Which story do you think would get published?