Author Topic: Mortal Stunts: Is this a typo?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
Mortal Stunts: Is this a typo?
« on: April 16, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
Hello all...

Some of the mortal stunts seem to be quite powerful...

for example:

Resilient Self-Image: Your sense of self is strong, enabling you to endure more psychological punishment than most. You may take two
additional mild mental consequences (page 203).

Wow, this is VERY interesting for any wizards. Two additional mild consequences that are likely to be negated by your next fight.

Is this a typo, i.e. should it be on +1 mild consequence, or is it fine the way it is now?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Mortal Stunts: Is this a typo?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:43:21 PM »
Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I've gotta review that stuff before it rolls out to press. I think the intent of the two mild consequence stunt construction rule is that two milds are what you get if you make the circumstances more narrow than "all stress of this type", while one is more appropriate for the all-stress-of-that-type thing. So for the quoted stunt, I'd lean more towards one mild, or respecify it as "when facing torture or interrogation, you may take two more mild mental consequences than usual".
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »
Okay, I think I've patched it. No Pain, No Gain stunt now is just +1 mild physical, but applying in all cases; Resilient Self-Image is still +2 mild mental, but applying only vs. torture or other extreme interrogation techniques.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:31:37 PM »
Okay, I think I've patched it. No Pain, No Gain stunt now is just +1 mild physical, but applying in all cases; Resilient Self-Image is still +2 mild mental, but applying only vs. torture or other extreme interrogation techniques.

Do you think it would be unbalanced to have a variation of "Resilient Self-Image" that would apply only to mild mental consequenced caused by spellcasting?

Offline Victim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »
Do you think it would be unbalanced to have a variation of "Resilient Self-Image" that would apply only to mild mental consequenced caused by spellcasting?

Well, extra consequences that you can choose to use to support your main ability seems a less limited than bonuses that only apply to torture.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »

Personally I think stunts should rarely, if ever, apply to supernatural powers, at least not directly -- but that's me, and your GM may differ.
Fred Hicks

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
Are you just changing the Stunt descriptions or are you modifying the Stunt guidelines?

YS:148
"Give one or two expendable 2-shift effects (e.g., additional mild consequences) or a persistent 1-shift effect"

Because the stunts as write do seem to conform with the guideline.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
All instances of the stunts, and the guidelines -- all altered.
Fred Hicks