Author Topic: What Skill for Writers and Photographers?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
What Skill for Writers and Photographers?
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:54:12 AM »
My gut tells me it would be Performance, but I could see the argument for a Writer using Scholarship.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: What Skill for Writers and Photographers?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:56:46 AM »
Depends on what they are writing about, and how you want it to affect game-play.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:00:04 AM »
Might be a family of skills. Maybe a writer is both Performance *and* Scholarship. After all, a Wizard's expression of skill is spread across Lore, Conviction, and Discipline.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:01:25 AM »
i would say fiction of basically any type would be preformance. I would say magical or occult nonfiction(provided its accurate) would be lore. And anything else non fiction would probably be scholarship.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline mroehler

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:45:01 AM »
I'm not sure why you'd need a skill for that? Are there ever going to be any consequences for failure in an adventure? It's just a kind of background skill that explains what your character does for a living.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:32:52 AM »
I'm not sure why you'd need a skill for that? Are there ever going to be any consequences for failure in an adventure? It's just a kind of background skill that explains what your character does for a living.

If "it's just kind of a background" thing, consider just supporting it with an aspect.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:29:54 AM »
Hmm I was considering an artist character who has The Sight and/or Soul Gaze as a minor talent and paints what he sees. I would then develop into focused practitioner or even wizard that uses his art skill as part of his Thaumaturgy. possibly using a stunt to replace Lore with the relevant art skill. Any ideas on how or if this would work and what skill to use.
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »
Hmm I was considering an artist character who has The Sight and/or Soul Gaze as a minor talent and paints what he sees. I would then develop into focused practitioner or even wizard that uses his art skill as part of his Thaumaturgy. possibly using a stunt to replace Lore with the relevant art skill. Any ideas on how or if this would work and what skill to use.

Creative expression maps to Performance most clearly for me. With a stunt saying that you can use Performance instead of Lore as your skill for mystical perception, that would cover the bit with the Sight at the very least. Just remember that a stunt doesn't let you wholly replace the use of another skill, just a trapping of it in defined circumstances.
Fred Hicks

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 02:35:07 PM »
Having designed an Painter character that uses Performance to help his Ritual spells.

After ages of trying to do this we found a nice simple solution, the character can use Performance to make declerations during the ritual phase to tag it for the ritual, flavour wise this can include mixing ingrediants into the paint etc....

Its a nice thematic work around driven of the characters High aspect, and easily usable as well by a Focused Practioner, The Character has the ability to work only effects that he can paint so Wards which can be painted onto any surface of the building or hung in a suitable venue, Summoning and binding (which works  in a really cool way the Canvas is placed inside a ring of Copper Frame and then the summoned creature is bound to its 'image' as drawn by the character...), and Crafting (this includes special paints, not potions that allow certain effect, focus item paint brushes... you get the idea)

Any way I hope this helps with your idea it took a while to get the balance right with this character but now very very happy with it..... 

Note the high concept is Picturamancer (Pictura is Latin for Painting)

and is actually hired by local supernatruals for his works of Art....