Author Topic: White Council Membership  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: White Council Membership
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:23 AM »
If they're, say, the child of a Troll and a Minor Practicioner and their magic is clearly human? I think the White Coucil would have to at least give them a chance. Particularly if they were to do the Council a favor or two...

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:24:59 AM »
And I was just now comming to the conclusion only full humans could be on the WC.

Was the Troll an example or would you rule otherwise if the Fae parent werent a lowly troll but an highly placed Sidhe?
What about an White Court virgin? I could see one being smuggled into the WCouncil. But if they knew the parents?

Would an Wizard lose his member card, if he got infected (not turned) by the Red Court?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 07:35:49 AM »
And I was just now comming to the conclusion only full humans could be on the WC.

Was the Troll an example or would you rule otherwise if the Fae parent werent a lowly troll but an highly placed Sidhe?
What about an White Court virgin? I could see one being smuggled into the WCouncil. But if they knew the parents?

Would an Wizard lose his member card, if he got infected (not turned) by the Red Court?

I think their magic would need to be definitively human for them to have a chance to argue for their inclusion, the rest would be politics, and thus likely a definitive "No." on both the semi-vampires. Though an ex-White Court Virgin is a possibility (the kind that wind up human).

A Sidhe would be possible, but would have to go to extreme lengths to prove their magic was human (possibly including making The Choice). I picked a Troll because they basically never have magic beyond some item crafting, so a Troll's child clearly has magic in their own right and not from their Faerie blood.

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »
I am working on a character idea for a White Court Virgin born away from court then raised by a wizard and used to infiltrate the WCV.
However to be realistic I don't think the WC would give membership to anyone "Tainted" by non human blood. they do not strike me as a tolerant organization especially under the current Merlin.  How ever not being a member does not exempt you from the Laws and as we saw with molly its all about getting caught not about scale or intentions. those protected by powerful connections would have the benefit of politics on their side as long as their protector chose to provide it. Like the children of real world diplomats they would more than likely be spared. On the other hand I doubt very much if Mab cares about individual changelings unless they have a use to her or an important ally.

On a game play note I do have to say that I am disappointed by the speed with which everyone is looking for ways to avoid the Laws instead of finding creative ways to work within them. They are part of the color and flavor of the world if you find away to be immune to them you are taking a big chunk of the challenge out of the game. Why not just go play d20 modern? Why does everyone have to be a freaking rebel? A big part of Harry's character is based on his belief that the laws are important, if somewhat over enforced. He works within the gray area but always upholds the spirit of the law as well as the technical letter of the law. Playing that way is much more challenging and creates more interest for the plot and therefore more fun. Some times it feels like people are cheating at solitaire here.
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 08:54:20 AM »
I am working on a character idea for a White Court Virgin born away from court then raised by a wizard and used to infiltrate the WCV.
However to be realistic I don't think the WC would give membership to anyone "Tainted" by non human blood. they do not strike me as a tolerant organization especially under the current Merlin. 

I don't actually disagree here, which is why I mentioned politics. It should be a MAJOR accomplishment to get onto the White Council as a Changeling (just for example), and I'd never let a character start out that way.

But the original character proposed had it as a major character goal...and PCs exist to accomplish difficult and impressive things. If they worked hard, made it to the point where they had the full Wizard package on top of their Changeling stuff, and accumulate a few favors owed from the white Council to them, then demonstrate their knowledge and power during testing...I'd let them do it. Not quickly, easily, or cheaply, but I'd let them do it.

A semi-vampire? Not so much. PCs accomplish the difficult and the impressive, but some things just strain credibility too much.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
He works within the gray area but always upholds the spirit of the law as well as the technical letter of the law.

Do I see an contradiction here? (Zombi T-Rex)

On a game play note I do have to say that I am disappointed by the speed with which everyone is looking for ways to avoid the Laws instead of finding creative ways to work within them.
As long as the Lawbreaker Power is purchased I see no real problem. It's expensive enough, that at least my players will be wary of breaking the law.
And even if the PC has political protection and the Lawbreaker Power, that doesnt mean there arent consequences (an extreme consequence may be even a war).