Author Topic: How's the site doing this evening?  (Read 11460 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
How's the site doing this evening?
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:04 AM »
I got onto the VPS control panel for this machine and changed out what software it's using for handling name service, as I've had a hunch that the site's frequent apparent outages have been due to the nameserver software losing its mind.  So far, I haven't run into any outages since I did that (around this afternoon), but I am not hitting the site super-frequently. How's it working for y'all? Let me know.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How's the site doing this evening?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:54:01 AM »
So far so good thus far.  I imagine everything will come down in a couple of weeks when people start to drift away from discussions on Changes.
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:55:58 AM »
I haven't noticed as many problems at night, it's been daytime.  But I'll give an update after lunch tomorrow.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:37 PM »
The site was down for at least a few minutes earlier this morning.  I caught it at 7:34am.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
Couldn't access it this morning, just a few minutes ago (~9:50 am Eastern).  It's never down for more than 10 or 15 minutes, tho.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
Ah, too bad. I feel like the new nameserver is nimbler, but the server seems to have problems all the same. Meh.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:38:30 PM »
It was just down for me for 4 minutes or so. 10:37 AM EST.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »
Still stuttering at times.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

ToddM326

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:46:21 PM »
Being able to get to the forums has been spotty.  I just figured it was because of the new book, and that it would die down soon.

Is there also a disproportionate number of new user accounts since Changes came out?

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »
It's a bit sluggish.  Though I do not know how much of that is the site and how much of it is my addiction to tabbed browsing.  It is mildly annoying, but meh, this to shall pass.
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

meh

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
I just figured it was because of the new book, and that it would die down soon.

Don't get your hopes up: neuro hasn't read it yet.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:23:45 PM »
The crashes we're experiencing intermittently appear to be due to memory errors. Too much stuff getting loaded up all at once, I suspect. I confess I wonder if our policy of keeping every old post is going to screw us in the long term.
Fred Hicks

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »
The crashes we're experiencing intermittently appear to be due to memory errors. Too much stuff getting loaded up all at once, I suspect. I confess I wonder if our policy of keeping every old post is going to screw us in the long term.

Almost certainly will.

You might need to think about having an offloaded 'old posts' different forum.
Iago, are you hosting? or colocating? or something.  IE: is the box yours? and do you have access to another one.  Or is this a hosting service and they gave you an account.

If it's the former, you might want to think about moving the database that the forum runs on to a different server.  Therefore splitting the "application" load from the "Database" load.  Although, I've never gotten a SQL querry error so it sounds like you're not using a BB that uses a database backend.

That's another possibility.  Consider switching to a more robust BB server.
I've built web server farms before.  If you could use some help figuring something out, send me a PM :)

I assume though, you know lots of geeks who also have done stuff like that, so.. I won't get offended if you don't.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
Iago, are you hosting? or colocating? or something.  IE: is the box yours? and do you have access to another one.  Or is this a hosting service and they gave you an account.

I'm on a VPS -- it's a step up from shared hosting (and an order of magnitude more expensive), but I don't *think* it's all the way to a full physical server of my own.

If it's the former, you might want to think about moving the database that the forum runs on to a different server.  Therefore splitting the "application" load from the "Database" load.  Although, I've never gotten a SQL querry error so it sounds like you're not using a BB that uses a database backend.

Yeah, not an option, and fraught with its own architectural perils too.
Fred Hicks

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 03:58:47 PM »
Maybe you could prune back more on what gets saved.  Skip Mac's and it's child boards.