Author Topic: Veils - Duration  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Veils - Duration
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
Is there something to create longer lasting veils (without Thaumaturgie)?
We see Molly in White Night using a quite long lasting Veil (at least half an hour).

Or does that count as one exchange for her, because its of scene?

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
Re: Veils - Duration
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
You can extend an evocation by casting the spell again and getting more duration.

What she probably did is one of two things:

1) Kept casting the Evocation every few exchanges to keep it going and the GM said as it's out of combat, she doesn't have to worry about the stress from doing so, she'll just be distracted if combat hits.
2) Once she was hidden, do a quick thaumaturgy to extend it in some way.

Least if it's the scene I'm thinking of.  I lean towards 1, though. :)
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »
Would the potential overflow of successes allow a caster to stretch the duration enough to make it through the scene?

This will become relevant as soon as the Seoul game kicks off so it would be nice to get some clarification.

Offline flymolo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:46:08 PM »
I'd say in general its thaumaturgy. A ritual with complexity less than your lore, you can throw together with things you have on you.  If the complexity is less or equal to your conviction and discipline, you can likely pull it off in one exchange and have it last for a scene.  Only reason I hesitate is Molly as statted doesn't have full thaumaturgy yet, and I'm not sure where in the timeline this effect falls vs. her advancement. 

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »
Yeah, it's Thaumaturgy...but you've got Ritual focused on Veils, so that'll work.

Though upon consideration, you might want some items to boost your Ritual Veiling. A point of Refinement could give you an item with +2 Complexity for Veils, which'd take two exchanges to set up...but ony two, and would be of Great Quality. Huh, I hadn't even thought of that before.

So you could throw up a Good quick veil with two shifts put towards duration, and then a Great Thaumaturgical veil in those two exchanges.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:55:33 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:21:57 AM »
There has to be some restriction for Thaumaturgy Veils that I am not seeing.

Right now it looks like this:
-Really easy.  Strength 3 veils are pretty awesome (I mean most things have Alertness of 1 or 2).
-Little (if any) Mental Stress.
-Defaults to lasting until sunrise.

There is no mention of requiring it to be stationary.  Although I imagine if you do expansions to include zones it would become such.

But as is, a small and "weak" veil could be done in one exchange.  Even if you use a movement supplement action (which isn't required if you stay in a single zone) and take a -1, it is still easy generally.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 12:32:22 AM »
There has to be some restriction for Thaumaturgy Veils that I am not seeing.

Not really, dude. I mean, the other side of it is this: do you realize how easy it is, with fate points, to just decide that you succeed at a roll?

So, let the caster have their veil until next sunrise. Whatever. It's a simple spell.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:07 AM »
Yeah, it's Thaumaturgy...but you've got Ritual focused on Veils, so that'll work.

Though upon consideration, you might want some items to boost your Ritual Veiling. A point of Refinement could give you an item with +2 Complexity for Veils, which'd take two exchanges to set up...but ony two, and would be of Great Quality. Huh, I hadn't even thought of that before.

So you could throw up a Good quick veil with two shifts put towards duration, and then a Great Thaumaturgical veil in those two exchanges.

Or we could go by this:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17089.0.html

In which case you don't need to bother, though you might still want to as Thaumaturgy veils still last alot longer.