Author Topic: Another crafting question  (Read 1643 times)

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
Another crafting question
« on: April 11, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »
 ::) I know, I know...  ;D

I was thumbing through my Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic trying to get some inspiration for some unique items when a thought struck me.

Is it possible to craft an item, so that instead of providing a bonus of any type, it absorbs the stress of magic being cast? My thinking is that of a persistent enchanted item that acts as a "Reserve" battery of a sort. My thoughts are that when crafting, the spellcaster would suffer stress to create the item, then take half back as stored personal energy. I think it would follow the 1/2 rule as well. 2 stress = 1 in reserve and so on...
For fluff sake, I'm thinking that it causes such a strain on the Wizard's pattern, that it can only be done occasionally, hence the once per session rule. Maybe it could be built as a potion? Trying to go for more utility than power. :)

I searched the boards and didn't find a reference to this subject. Everything I've seen has been for items that help power levels, etc. So if it is mentioned, I apologize in advance.

Thoughts? and Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:13:49 PM by TheSavageMage »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Another crafting question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »
This is not something I really want us to get into too much at this point, at least in an official capacity, because the numbers really need to be carefully examined to make sure there aren't balance issues. This is one of those "lots of moving parts" things.  Better to create a specific spell effect as an enchanted item than to create an item that lets you do any spell more frequently than you could otherwise.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:29:55 PM »
Ah... shoot :-[

I understand your reasoning. I was just imaging this item as a "one last ditch of power", when the PC has his back up against the wall type of thing. Well, i'll keep this idea in my back pocket for the future.

Thanks for the reply

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »
You can use Sponsored Magic for that.  It fits the books, really.  Harry starts using Sponsored Magic a lot as he gets in the big leagues, ending up really pissed off a lot (Hellfire) or having to do Uriel's stuff (Soulfire).
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?