Author Topic: An Idea: Tagging for Continuous Damage  (Read 7476 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: An Idea: Tagging for Continuous Damage
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 06:48:46 AM »
Like I said, it basically looks like a grapple to me, in terms of a combat application for normals. You establish block X, person rolls to defeat block X, takes stress every time they can't. The only "drift" from the rules is the idea of giving the hazard a life of its own, which I'd adjudicate as "the shifts you get on the establishing roll set the difficulty for the block". Grapple even requires, in the RAW, some kind of justifying aspect, so there's your "On Fire!"

So, I want to cover you with napalm. We finally get to the part where we're rolling off. I fire and get an Epic (+7), and you roll a Great (+4) defense. So the hazard is Good (+3), and it hits you until you can overcome it. Maybe I can try to establish it again at higher strength by hitting you again in a later round.

So, that'd be how I'd do it, if it were me, and I controlled a character who wanted to slowly burn people to death. :)

-Lenny

That actually sounds perfect, more or less. Better handled than my basic idea anyway. Thanks alot!  :)

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »
I feel compelled to note that YS325, on environmental effects, explicitly mentions a flamethrower.

Yes, as a nod to the idea that a willfully targeted hazard should just be resolved as an attack most of the time, according to me. But that's just it, right? According to me. I get where Deadmanwalking is coming from - he wants what he wants. And that's awesome. I'm just happy that the system can hold up to the demand thus far.

-Lenny

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 02:11:33 PM »
I thought of an possible problem with ongoing damage.

Thaumaturgie

At the moment you need what?
>30 shifts to kill someone with thaumaturgie?
How many shifts would you need with the ongoing damage houserule?

The damage from this sort of thing is environmental.  As GM, I'd just have them pass out or something.  Not required to kill by the rules.
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
Like I said, it basically looks like a grapple to me, in terms of a combat application for normals. You establish block X, person rolls to defeat block X, takes stress every time they can't. The only "drift" from the rules is the idea of giving the hazard a life of its own, which I'd adjudicate as "the shifts you get on the establishing roll set the difficulty for the block". Grapple even requires, in the RAW, some kind of justifying aspect, so there's your "On Fire!"

So, I want to cover you with napalm. We finally get to the part where we're rolling off. I fire and get an Epic (+7), and you roll a Great (+4) defense. So the hazard is Good (+3), and it hits you until you can overcome it. Maybe I can try to establish it again at higher strength by hitting you again in a later round.

So, that'd be how I'd do it, if it were me, and I controlled a character who wanted to slowly burn people to death. :)

-Lenny

This was basically our solution.  Works well, isn't overpowered, but gives someone a solid reason to want to maneuver this off them  

B-)
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »
I can see it now...  Do a maneuver to add break a natural gas line to add the "Powder Keg" aspect to the scene.  Then hexing the villain's gun so that it creates a spark.

That would totally violate the First Law though (hexing an electronic to cause an explosion).   :(
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »
What about the Poison rules. Those allow continuous Damage...
Or was that allready covered in the thread?