Author Topic: Military question help?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Military question help?
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
I'm needing assistance from those in the know on the following two topics.  If you can assist, thank you!

1. Taking a cave with only one entrance, guarded by armed soldiers, with a hostage inside...  (I have one idea already, but would like to hear some other advice, especially from trained military if possible.  ALL ideas are welcome!)

2.  At the intro I will focus on a special unit ground force.  I want it to look like a typical unit, but one is actually female, which is not revealed until after the first scrap.  (yes, I know women aren't used technically in combat, but this is sci fi.)

What I'm looking for are physical, behavioral hints to implant so when it is revealed it isn't a complete---WTF for the reader.  Yes, the bathroom call--or I guess her pack of supplies might be less heavy  (I personally hate this one!) or the physical size of her shoes or boobs for example, but I'm looking for behavioral less obvious details.  Such as:  Would a woman carry her rifle or handle it in a slightly different way?  Would a woman's uniform chafe or irritate her differently than a man's on a man?  Would a woman have a characteristic something that might raise the question in a reader's mind?  Would a woman have something that she carries that might be noticeable that a man wouldn't?   

Again, thanks in advance for your suggestions. I'm putting in a call in the military thread too, so be nice to the visitors!  LOL
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline J_M

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Military question help?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:42:32 PM »
For two, soap.  It sounds silly, but honest to god, most of the other guys who work in my office know when a female sailor has come through within the previous few minutes.  My sense of smell is shot, otherwise I'd be in the same camp.  For whatever reason, anecdotal information seems to suggest that women use different soap, or that the smell lingers on their skin more. 

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »
Ahh!  This is perfect.  Exactly what I'm looking for, subtle but accurate.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »
I'm needing assistance from those in the know on the following two topics.  If you can assist, thank you!

1. Taking a cave with only one entrance, guarded by armed soldiers, with a hostage inside...  (I have one idea already, but would like to hear some other advice, especially from trained military if possible.  ALL ideas are welcome!)

2.  At the intro I will focus on a special unit ground force.  I want it to look like a typical unit, but one is actually female, which is not revealed until after the first scrap.  (yes, I know women aren't used technically in combat, but this is sci fi.)

What I'm looking for are physical, behavioral hints to implant so when it is revealed it isn't a complete---WTF for the reader.  Yes, the bathroom call--or I guess her pack of supplies might be less heavy  (I personally hate this one!) or the physical size of her shoes or boobs for example, but I'm looking for behavioral less obvious details.  Such as:  Would a woman carry her rifle or handle it in a slightly different way?  Would a woman's uniform chafe or irritate her differently than a man's on a man?  Would a woman have a characteristic something that might raise the question in a reader's mind?  Would a woman have something that she carries that might be noticeable that a man wouldn't?   

Again, thanks in advance for your suggestions. I'm putting in a call in the military thread too, so be nice to the visitors!  LOL
1. Depend on the type of cave and the disposion of the guards as it relates to the prisioner.  Different types of caves in certian parts of the world have certian advanatages and drawbacks. 
2.  Women smell different during thier time of the month ans men who are trained to be aware of their surrondings would note some thing different.  Have your woman be an obsesive shaver as well, chalk it up as a nervious habit because being in the field, you get to know very well what your teammates smell like.  Use an electric shaver?
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »
Thanks Cephis...  For concern one.  Afghan mountains, desert terrain, steep and rocky.  Entrance about 8 high by 4 wide...  kidnapped victim is a child from a neighborhood village and is probably just tossed into the back.  Inside I'm seeing about 20 by 14...so not too big.  It's about 45 to 50 down from a cliff top overhead.  Access is going to be visual from the cave entry.  Uphill climb to reach them, but only about 25 feet or so.  My present idea draws them out--which makes them dumb ass idiot men, but if that's all I can use I'll have to take it and run.  Wait, just what would a gas container tossed in do to a four your old boy?  I'd hate to think...

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »
For #1: are the soldiers wearing gas masks? If not, gas 'em - light enough dose as not to overwhelm the hostage, but enough to cause uncontrollable coughing/vomiting/etc. Keeps the hostage alive and incapacitates the opposition long and well enough for snipers or up-close knife work. Better a live, weak, puking FORMER hostage than a hostage.

PS: Gas delivery systems aren't all explosive, so there isn't necessarily a risk of a small explosion killing the hostage.

Oh - where are the soldiers? Outside? Right at the entrance? Inside? Mixed?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:54:18 PM »
For two, soap.  It sounds silly, but honest to god, most of the other guys who work in my office know when a female sailor has come through within the previous few minutes.  My sense of smell is shot, otherwise I'd be in the same camp.  For whatever reason, anecdotal information seems to suggest that women use different soap, or that the smell lingers on their skin more. 

Are we assuming that the SFnal setting is such that whatever social issue, if this is a social issue, is relevant still applies ? I mean, are an all-female special forces unit in meg_evonne's social context actually going to approach soap in ways that contemporary female sailors do, and is so why ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »
1) Since it's a SciFi setting, teleport a stasis bomb inside :)
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »
For item #1: a flash-bang, or the settings' version of one, could go in first, followed immediately by an incapacitating gas grenade. If the unit comes down the slope via rope, grav belt, whatever, the grenades can be fired/launched into the opening just before the entry team reaches the tunnel mouth.

For item #2: I agree with the comment about scent. Even if she's not wearing perfume, many guys can tell a woman has been in the area recently by the scent. The only way to cover it could be the use of a soap aimed towards guys. Think Gillette instead of Dove.

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »
For item #1: a flash-bang, or the settings' version of one, could go in first, followed immediately by an incapacitating gas grenade. If the unit comes down the slope via rope, grav belt, whatever, the grenades can be fired/launched into the opening just before the entry team reaches the tunnel mouth.

For item #2: I agree with the comment about scent. Even if she's not wearing perfume, many guys can tell a woman has been in the area recently by the scent. The only way to cover it could be the use of a soap aimed towards guys. Think Gillette instead of Dove.
Hey!! I use Dove, it makes my skin feel great! Have her wear too much old spice
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:50:11 AM »
Assault team moves as close as they can without being spotted.

When they're in position, snipers who've hung back pot the guards.  Snipers then act as rear security as any unexpected reinforcements that show up would take the assault team like the monkey took the miller's wife.

Team moves in, using whatever equivalent of flash/bangs or stun grenades.  In the future, they can probably fix the hostage's ruptured eardrums.  At least easier than fixing an executed hostage, anyway.

The level and type of tech will really be the deciding factor for how you want your team to perform.  Powered assault zoots?  Can't tell from the outside if they're male or female.  Gender doesn't make a difference when one's driving a few hundred pounds of angry alloy.  Nonpowered armor?  Could still be sealed and self contained, the tech keeping bio/chemical agents out will also keep girlsmell in.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 02:17:02 AM »
Mmm, battle suits. Tasty. A half dozen Heinleinian cap troopers dropping from orbit could headshot the lot, walk in and waltz out with the hostage. *reverie*
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 02:19:15 AM »
Ever read John Ringo's Posleen books, Shecky?  I think you'd like them.  Starship Troopers meets Tom Clancy. 

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 02:24:43 AM »
Ever read John Ringo's Posleen books, Shecky?  I think you'd like them.  Starship Troopers meets Tom Clancy. 

Clancy never caught hold of me, to be honest, but help me remember those books so I can give them a try once I'm done with my current LotR readthrough and Changes.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 02:55:37 AM »
"A Hymn Before Battle" is the first one, followed by "Gust Front", which is IMHO the best of the lot.  Several more follow, including a couple collaborations.  Hard military SciFi, current day setting.  The Clancy is in the level of military detail and knowledge.  Basically, "What if SciFi came to the earth today and had a war?  In our laps?"  Witty and snarky dialogue, brutal gut clenching events, nobility and sacrifice, and Bun Bun.