Author Topic: Harry's Stats plus Assorted Other Stat Revisions (Small Favor through Cold Days)  (Read 171893 times)

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Can you stat up a mod's banhammer just for kicks?

How about a Bartender's banruler?
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Tbora

Hey DMW, how would you stat a Black Court Elder?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Something like this:

Aspects:
High Concept: Elder Black Court Vampire
Trouble: Part Of A Dying Breed
Other:
I Didn't Get This Old By Being Stupid
To Me, My Minions

Skills:

Superb: Deceit, Discipline, Fists,
Great: Athletics, Intimidation, Lore,
Good: Alertness, Endurance, Stealth,
Fair: Burglary, Might, Scholarship,

Everything else defaults to Average.

Stunts:

Takes One To Know One (Deceit)

Powers:

Claws [–1]
Echoes of the Beast [–1]
Living Dead [–1]
Supernatural Toughness [–4]
The Catch [+3] is Bram Stoker style weaknesses.
Blood Drinker [–1]
Domination (Master Dominator, Posession) [–7]

Feeding Dependency [+1] affecting the following powers:
Beast Change [–1]
Cloak of Shadows [–1]
Supernatural Strength [–4]
Supernatural Speed [–4]
Gaseous Form [–3]

Total: -25 Refresh

Stress:

Mental: OOOO
Physical: OOOO(OOOO)
Social: OOOO
Hunger: OOOO
Armor: 2.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
We don't know enough about the Blackstaff's powers to decide, really, but when I was fiddling with stats for Eb to replace the rather underpowered ones in Our World, I statted it as an Item of Power with Demonic Co-Pilot and Sponsored Magic – Blackstaff (provides +1 Offensive Power to law-breaking Evocations and +1 Complexity to law-breaking Thaumaturgy, user does not suffer Lawbreaker stunts.) (Demonic Co-Pilot was based on the [fairly unjustified] assumption that the Blackstaff is a sentient being itself.)

Black Court Elder: looks good. I'd give at least some BCEs some spellcasting ability, too, though.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
We don't know enough about the Blackstaff's powers to decide, really, but when I was fiddling with stats for Eb to replace the rather underpowered ones in Our World, I statted it as an Item of Power with Demonic Co-Pilot and Sponsored Magic – Blackstaff (provides +1 Offensive Power to law-breaking Evocations and +1 Complexity to law-breaking Thaumaturgy, user does not suffer Lawbreaker stunts.) (Demonic Co-Pilot was based on the [fairly unjustified] assumption that the Blackstaff is a sentient being itself.)

These are good theories. Emphasis on "theories".  :)

Though those don't explain why it prevents the wielder from getting Lawbreaker, at least not IMO.

Black Court Elder: looks good. I'd give at least some BCEs some spellcasting ability, too, though.

Some? Sure. But most aren't Mavra, and I think it damages her uniqueness as a villain, and how surprised even Ebenezar is by her magical capability if we give t out all willy-nilly.  :)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Though those don't explain why it prevents the wielder from getting Lawbreaker, at least not IMO.

Mechanically it would be an effect of that particular Sponsored Magic. Thematically, I'd say it's because the staff is itself a sapient entity, and *it*'s doing the will-to-kill bit that twists a wizard.

Some? Sure. But most aren't Mavra, and I think it damages her uniqueness as a villain, and how surprised even Ebenezar is by her magical capability if we give t out all willy-nilly.  :)

Well, Mavra isn't an Elder. I think they were all wiped out in the Stokerpocalypse. In my view the reason Mavra is so scary to everyone is precisely because she is walking the path to Elderhood, fairly successfully. YMMV.

Tbora

All the Elders weren't wiped out, several are still around, atleast that is what I got from it IMO.

Dracula for sure, in the books Harry says somewhere that he is still in Eastern Europe according to there (the Councils) information.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
All the Elders weren't wiped out, several are still around, atleast that is what I got from it IMO.

Dracula for sure, in the books Harry says somewhere that he is still in Eastern Europe according to there (the Councils) information.

just going from memory so i might be wrong but i'm pretty sure he says "drakul" as in dracula's father is still in eastern europe.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Tbora

Very maybe, I honestly am not sure either now, you could be right too.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
To Deadman i know this is kinda late (as in a pretty darn) i was looking over your notes for dresden during changes and (though i'm not sure this is important) i think dresden moved his focus items around some and added soulfire as an "element" to his blasting rod similar to how he added hell-fire as an element to his staff when he was possessed. I figure he did because when he channeled magic through it, his blasting rod glew with a silvery glow similar to how his staff glew with a hellish glow when he had hellfire, and the book specifically mentions his staff had hellfire added as an element around proven guilty.

Again not sure if thats important just something i noticed, and since you put so much work into those characters (and did an amazing job btw, I especially like cowl) i figured it would be cool to have actual evidence that people are still looking over them and studying them. ;)
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
See, I don't see that as anything more than a reflection of his ability to channel the element impacting the item. Rules-wise, there's never any reason to use 'pure' Soulfire, nor 'pure' Hellfire (and we never see Harry doing either), so adding it as an actual thing seems wrong.

And actually, I believe it's implied that only the elders and other vampires of exceeding cunning survived the Stoker affair...much like Mavra.

I mean, logically it would be the young and the weak who'd fare the worst in such a situation.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
And actually, I believe it's implied that only the elders and other vampires of exceeding cunning survived the Stoker affair...much like Mavra.

I mean, logically it would be the young and the weak who'd fare the worst in such a situation.

The Elders were the targets, AIUI; the young ones could slip under the radar.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
About soulfire's agenda (on page 13), I think it's about "creating" (Fires of creation and all)
I know on gameplay terms soulfire and hellfire are about equal, both make a fire spell bigger and hotter but soulfire wants to create and drains you to create more, it doesnt care what its creation does as long as it creates something (flames in this case) while hellfire wants to "inflict" more and doesn't want to stop...

Soulfire drains you because you are the AAAA battery while hellfire harms you because it is too corrosive.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:56:50 PM by Nomad »
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
See, I don't see that as anything more than a reflection of his ability to channel the element impacting the item. Rules-wise, there's never any reason to use 'pure' Soulfire, nor 'pure' Hellfire (and we never see Harry doing either), so adding it as an actual thing seems wrong.

not necessarily. it says under sponsored magic the benifits from sponsored magic can stack when it is applied to other elements so having a focus item with powers toward a sponsored element it just means whenever you add that element to your spells it makes it stronger or your control greater.

So like if you had a staff focus item that gave +1 offensive power spirit and +1 offensive control hellfire, when you channelled spirit magic coupled with hellfire through that it would get both the bonus's. at least thats way i looked at it.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
That's not my interpretation of how Sponsored Magic interacts with normal magic at all.