Author Topic: Harry's Stats plus Assorted Other Stat Revisions (Small Favor through Cold Days)  (Read 171901 times)

Tbora

wait...

If he was so powerful why did he even need the dark hallow?

Offline Esoteric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Probably because he was

a. Power mad and paranoid, but probably a bit of both. Probably wasn't sure of his own power, and heck, if its within your grasp, why not go for it?

and

b. Just because he could take the Merlin in single combat doesn't mean he could stand up to the Merlin, several members of the senior council, and a group of wardens behind them.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Actually, considering he did precisely that (he held off more or less the entire Council as a whole, mostly by himself), I tend to think he DID perform a Darkhallow (possibly one on a smaller scale than that attempted in Dead Beat)...and then wrote about it. It's never stated anywhere that he didn't, and it would explain his truly absurd level of power.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
Actually, considering he did precisely that (he held off more or less the entire Council as a whole, mostly by himself), I tend to think he DID perform a Darkhallow (possibly one on a smaller scale than that attempted in Dead Beat)...and then wrote about it. It's never stated anywhere that he didn't, and it would explain his truly absurd level of power.

The darkhallow is the name for the ritual that involves summoning the erlking and using halloween.

THats the super secret pie recipie he came up with.

But its the same process he came up with and used in smaller scale: Eating ghosts and spirits for power
He'd been eating spirits, rampaging around europe during a world war, generally just doing his thing, for awhile.   Thats gotta stack one with some mojo.   Not to mention the whole zombie minions and the Mini-Archive he had plus whatever other items of power a centuries old dark lord of necromancy and wickedness that even scares MAB could accrue over a lifetime.     Makes him truly absurd with the power, no darkhallow specifically needed.
All the darkhallow is are very efficient instructions to maximize your ghost munching potential.   You don't NEED to call the erlking up, weaken the boundaries, and spin things into a vortex in a populated area to eat a ghost for power.  Thats just a more effective way to do it.   
Think of the darkhallow as the beer bong of ascension rituals involving necromantic power.  It just makes it easier to get it all down, FAST ;)
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Tbora

Could you stat Demon Reaches Genius Loci?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
No. I have no idea what it's capabilities are. Like literally none. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile

He did eat spirits to gain power, yes - Mab says that was the secret of the power that allowed him to defy the whole Council. He didn't do the full god-ascension ritual, but he seems to have done a smaller one. Or possibly he did it piece by piece, like Harry's ghost-eating in GP repeated over and over...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Yeah, something like that.  :)

He was a scary sonuvabitch.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
He was a scary sonuvabitch.

He was indeed. Since Jim put a post-Darkhallow Cowl, but not Kemmler, on his list of 'people who could beat Mab', I'd tend to think he was less powerful than a fully Darkhallowed necromancer-god, but waaay up there nevertheless. Probably below the Faerie Queen/Archangel tier, but not by that much -- on the level of the Erlking probably.

I think you are underestimating Cowl a bit, though. Harry considers him stronger than Ebenezer McCoy -- I'm not sure he wouldn't be about an even match for the Merlin. However, Cowl doesn't seem to have demonstrated that level of power yet, and I'm not sure Harry in DB had ever seen Eb at full bore. I'd tend to suggest that Eb-by-himself, as we see him in TC - really scarily powerful but not utterly overwhelming - is less powerful than Cowl, but Eb-with-Blackstaff, as we see him in Changes, or Eb with whatever he uses to do volcanoes and asteroids (possibly also the Blackstaff), is his match.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:57:11 PM by vultur »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Due to Sponsored Magic, Cowl can actually take Sponsor Debt and match or even beat Ebenezar in Evocation in the short term. Or use Lawbreaker and do so on killing blows. Well, ignoring whatever the Blackstaff does, anyway. With that, I suspect Ebenezar would destroy him.

I'm not sure what more I could do with him, really.

Tbora

Item of power Blackstaff with -2 for each lawbreaker for a total of -14.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
That's not actually how I'd build it, for a variety of reasons (the cost is there, but not the primary one).

Mostly we know nothing about it beyond that it somewhat protects against Lawbreaker...somehow. That's...not nearly enough info to stat it up.

Tbora

Maybe it has a Physical Immunity: Lawbreaker IoP?

Or something with a power that makes it so you don't have to take a Lawbreaker.

Keep in mind it can still be incredibly powerful, as it IS a Plot Device Level Item.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Oh, I agree all those are possibilities. I just don't know which is most applicable, though I suspect we will by the time the series is over.

Tbora

Can you stat up a mod's banhammer just for kicks?