Author Topic: Typo thread  (Read 26562 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Typo thread
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »
Okay, Overall cost of the powers in the toughness category, so this is acceptable then:

Inhuman Recovery -2
Inhuman Toughness -2
The Catch +5
Physical Invulnerability -8
The Catch (Stacked) +6
Total = -1

Also still not resolved is how Human Form applies when used with only one of the two toughness powers and therefore the exact value of that power is not known.

Um, read his above post on the re-wording of Stacked Catch. Where iago fixed the problem. Which you clearly missed.

That wouldn't work because the first Catch doesn't apply to Physical Immunity. The total cost would be -3.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:13:04 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline arentol

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2010, 03:12:21 AM »
Related to this is also the fact that if you have more than one power from Toughness the exact refresh cost of each power is not clearly defined because the Catch is applied across all of them.

Example of an issue this causes:

Supernatural Toughness (-4)
Inhuman Recovery (-2)
The Catch: +3

Human Form +?
Applies to Inhuman Recovery
How much is "Inhuman Recovery" worth at this point? Is it -2 making Human Form worth +1, or is it -1, making Human Form worth 0?

Could still use clarification on this.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2010, 03:14:23 AM »
Could still use clarification on this.

I'd assume you choose which power or powers you apply the Catch discount to (making Human Form worth +1), but I could be wrong.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2010, 03:40:09 AM »
The Toughness powers are bought as a whole suite. You'd have the whole suite of powers, both Supernatural Toughness and Inhuman Recovery at a -3. Once you've purchased them as a pair, they cease to really exist as one particular power.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2010, 04:10:50 AM »
OW179 Second paragraph under Maeve .......casting glamours on those to come to her.....

First to should be who?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2010, 04:33:42 AM »
Okay, Overall cost of the powers in the toughness category, so this is acceptable then:

Inhuman Recovery -2
Inhuman Toughness -2
The Catch +5
Physical Invulnerability -8
The Catch (Stacked) +6
Total = -1

Also still not resolved is how Human Form applies when used with only one of the two toughness powers and therefore the exact value of that power is not known.

WTF, dude? Are you not paying any attention?

-2 -2 = -4

+5 is an illegal Catch value. +3 is the max you can have with that. Period. Full stop.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2010, 04:38:43 AM »
OW179 Second paragraph under Maeve .......casting glamours on those to come to her.....

First to should be who?

It should; it's been caught and corrected already, but thanks for the extra eyes. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline arentol

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2010, 05:32:56 AM »
WTF, dude? Are you not paying any attention?

-2 -2 = -4

+5 is an illegal Catch value. +3 is the max you can have with that. Period. Full stop.

If you look up a few posts you will see that deadmanwalking pointed out already that your errata posted earlier in this thread resolved this. No need to jump all over me for simply missing one post of yours.

Believe me, without the errata my example made perfect sense with what you were saying. I just missed that change you posted is all.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2010, 05:52:40 AM »
Perhaps it would  be clearer with this wording:

The Toughness powers are bought as a whole suite, the Catch applies to them as a whole, with the exception of Physical Immunity (there you need or can use the stacked Catch).

---

Hmm, you need an stacked Catch on the Physical Immunity. Since you need an Catch, right?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2010, 05:55:15 AM »
Hmm, you need an stacked Catch on the Physical Immunity. Since you need an Catch, right?

Actually, reread the first sentence of the revision. Your normal Catch covers Physical Immunity as well unless you take a Stacked Catch.

Offline drnuncheon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2010, 11:48:07 AM »
Actually, reread the first sentence of the revision. Your normal Catch covers Physical Immunity as well unless you take a Stacked Catch.

…which makes your other Toughness powers basically worthless, doesn't it?  If you have PI with the same catch, then they won't ever (or will almost never) come into play.  Anything that doesn't fill the Catch will be blocked by the PI and anything that does will bypass everything.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »
Believe me, without the errata my example made perfect sense with what you were saying.
This is where we disagree. Sorry about the jumpin', though -- I feel like this territory has been well-trod and well-explained, and the frustration with continued questions on the topic has really been peaking for me lately.
Fred Hicks

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
…which makes your other Toughness powers basically worthless, doesn't it?  If you have PI with the same catch, then they won't ever (or will almost never) come into play.  Anything that doesn't fill the Catch will be blocked by the PI and anything that does will bypass everything.

You're probably true 99% of the time. But people are really digging hard and deep to find ways to abuse the system (an exercise I abhor in gaming), so the language has been adjusted to make it clear what to do in all cases, even if some of those cases are silly. :)

My take is you should either have:

- A suite of Toughness Powers that aren't physical immunity with a Catch
- Physical Immunity with a Catch (and no Toughness Powers beyond that)
- A suite of Toughness Powers with a Catch, and a separate Physical Immunity with a Stacked Catch

But, given that, I expect hordes of angry flaming poo-flinging rules lawyers to descend upon the possibility of a Physical Immunity plus a suite of Toughness Powers all covered by the same Catch conditions ... so the language is there.
Fred Hicks

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2010, 01:57:46 PM »
Our World, The Short Story "AAAA Wizardy, page 10, first col, "Yardly looked like he wanted to sidle..."
Should be "slide"?
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
Sidle is a real word. :)
Fred Hicks