Author Topic: Typo thread  (Read 26061 times)

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Typo thread
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »
I've found one minor typo so far:

YS8, col.2, para.4 - "You also act a referee...".  Shouldn't there be an 'as' in there?

I will post any more errors I find to this thread.  Fred, if you already have a protocol and/or venue set up for this, reply here and I will use it instead.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Typo thread
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
YS14, col.2, para.2 - "The Summer Court has offered mild assistance to the White Council in the course of the Vampire War..."  Should this be Winter Court?  I'm thinking of the events of SK.
YS14 both columns - Blue highlighter is missing on relevant text next to Harry's and Billy's comments.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:27:15 PM by ludomaniac »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:27 PM »
No it's Summer that has offered them support in terms of using Ways and such.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
No it's Summer that has offered them support in terms of using Ways and such.
I'm pretty sure it was winter who offered them use of their ways. Isn't that why the council forced Harry to work with Mab in book 4?
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
Summer has offered their help but Winter was poised for war so Summer's hands are effectively tied.

And with or without the council Harry had to work for Mab in Summer Knight as she bought Harry's debt from Lea.

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
And with or without the council Harry had to work for Mab in Summer Knight as she bought Harry's debt from Lea.
Yeah but Harry could choose which jobs he took. And he wouldn't have taken his first job with Mab if the council hadn't twisted his arm.
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:02:41 PM »
He accepted the job from Mab before the meeting with the Council even took place.

Offline Heretic

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
If the comment refers to the events in SK, it was Winter who provided the access to the Ways.  In SK, Summer specifically refused to offer help, saying, "Queen Titania does not now, nor will she ever choose sides in the disputes of mortal and anthorphage.  She bids both Council and court alike to keep their war well away from the realms of Summer.  We will remain neutral."  (Ch 5, p 63 paperback)  Mab offered to let the Council travel through her realm if one request (which all soon learned meant Harry's service as her Emissary) was fulfilled (p 75). 

As of the end of Harry's meeting with Mab, Harry had stated he would think about her request, and retained the option to refuse.  He didn't actually commit to taking on the task until the Gatekeeper made it his condition for voting in Harry's favor at the Council meeting.

Maybe the RPG text is referring to other help Summer provided, such as the battle against the Rampires mentioned in Proven Guilty?  I'd think that was more than mild assistance, but understatement is an art.
What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:58:27 PM »
Not precisely a typo, but on Page 52 of Our World, the Troll is statted with Superhuman Strength and Recovery (at -4 each), as well as Inhuman Toughness. I suspect that's intended to be Supernatural Strength and Recovery.

Also, on the very bottom of p. 109 of Our World, Harry and Bob's commentary overlaps and is otherwise somewhat confusing. Looks like a formatting error of some sort.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:26:52 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 12:31:40 AM »
Maybe the RPG text is referring to other help Summer provided, such as the battle against the Rampires mentioned in Proven Guilty?  I'd think that was more than mild assistance, but understatement is an art.

It was later on in the series where it was mentioned that Summer pledged their support for the WC but it was more a symbolic gesture then any actual support.

I would look it up myself but all of my books are scattered to the four winds right now.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 01:23:45 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread. We are watching it and taking notes. The Summer assertion is correct as far as we know, though. (Chad did a lot of meticulous research when he documented the world.)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 01:33:37 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread. We are watching it and taking notes. The Summer assertion is correct as far as we know, though. (Chad did a lot of meticulous research when he documented the world.)

My question was influenced by the fact that I am relistening to the SK audiobook right now.  I bow to Chad's research.

Am I correct in believing that every "handwritten" comment on the text is accompanied by blue highlighter in the main text?  If so, should I keep noting instances where it seems to be missing?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:15 AM »
Am I correct in believing that every "handwritten" comment on the text is accompanied by blue highlighter in the main text?  If so, should I keep noting instances where it seems to be missing?

Nope. The blue highlighter is used to call attention when connections might not be obvious or immediately proximate. You'd be waiting another few weeks for the preorder if I was doing that every damn time. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Heretic

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 01:50:54 AM »

Aha - now I'm thinking it's a reference to the limited assistance Lily promised The Merlin while at Molly's trial, since she did refer to the White Council as "allies" at that point.  Guess Summer got tired of the Red Court's incursions into their territory.

As an aside, I'm thoroughly by first read-through of "Your Story" - especially Bob's comments (okay, Harry's too). Thanks for releasing it early!
What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 02:10:48 AM »
On Evan Montrose's character sheet on p. 368, he has only Fair Lore, but three Rotes. This contradicts the section on Rotes.

There's also a discrepancy between the example with Biff on p. 70, and his character sheet on p. 369, in the first, he has Good Rapport, in the second it's only Fair.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:33:16 AM by Deadmanwalking »