Author Topic: Typo thread  (Read 26183 times)

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
Re: Typo thread
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
I'm looking through the characters in Our World right now

Dang man, now that's some work.  Glad you use your powers for good.  B-)
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
Thanks. :) Always nice to be appreciated. And while I'm at it, here's more of the same:

More issues, mostly Refresh being off, different section of Our World.

On p. 30, Cassius's snakes are listed at -4 Refresh, by my count they should be -2. Unless they're venomous, in which case that should be noted.

On p. 31, Animated Scorpions are listed at -4 Refresh, that should be -5.

On p. 40, Cobbs are listed at -5 Refresh, they should be -6.

On p. 42 Hammerhands is...odd. The Refresh is right...but why does a guy with hammers for hands have the Weapons skill? He uses Fists for his hands and he can't pick anything up.

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 02:02:56 AM »
It's helpful! Really, we just mean to rule out attacks there, though.

Really?  OK, that's interesting too.  If I may humbly suggest that it still needs a (different) re-wording? Cause I think that could result in some confusion and a disagreement or two at the table.

Ummm... "Give a +2 to a specific application of a defense or other non-attack trapping."   ...maybe?

"Give a +2 to a specific application of a trapping, provided it is not an attack trapping."  That sounds ugly.

"Give a +2 to a specific application of a trapping, excluding attacks." I think I might be misusing the game terms there.

P.S. Congrats on the sales numbers so far. :)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 04:11:51 AM »
Not so much a typo as an omission.

You guys put a lot of love into this game and have everything from references to The Empire Strikes Back to asides talking about how crazy some ideas are and that Bob should shut up more often.

ANd yet...no marginal talking about Hockey Sticks used as Foci.

I could see Harry's aside being A) "A Hockey Stick? That's just stupid..." or B) "Dammit, why didn't I think of that?" 
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:28 AM »
Under Hiding, on p. 142 of YS, it references situational modifiers as being on p. 214, there are no situational modifiers on this page, just other skills complementing or restricting...which is a somewhat different thing.

If circumstances on their own are intended to be allowed to complement or restrict a skill, that would make sense and be an elegant way to handle it, but that's not stated anywhere I've found, and certainly not on p. 214.

On an entirely different note Carlos Ramirez on p. 214 of Our World appears to have split a Refinement between getting an Item Slot, and an Evocation Specialty (normally a Refinement gives you two of one of those things). As far as I know, that's not legal. If it is, it should probably be mentioned in some marginalia near Refinement. Luckily, there's not much there currently.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:19:51 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 11:43:20 PM »
YS69 First sentence of first paragraph.  "to do to".

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 05:45:10 AM »
Some additional issues with Chapter 15 of Your Story.

YS p. 310, in the example with Biff bribing the guards, the Resolve skill is referenced. This is obviously incorrect.

YS p. 330, when discussing upgrading NPCs, the suggested skill pyramid for Tim is just plain wrong in almost every possible way (1 Great, 2 Fair, 5 Average…to match a 25 point skill list…to equal Feet in the Water Characters). His suggested Refresh also ignores Tim’s Pure Mortal bonus.

YS p. 331, in the contrasting NPC example, Harry is listed with Good Rapport as his highest social skill, ignoring both his Great Intimidation, and the fact that he has a mere Fair in Rapport. And the example works equally well with those included (Deceit is as good a contrast to Intimidation as Rapport).

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:30 AM »
I've taken care of everything up to this point. Deadmanwalking, great job! I think I may leave the Carlos thing as it is, though, because... well, because Carlos is special, and I'm sure he's managed to charm his GM into house-ruling that.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 02:48:31 AM »
Under Hiding, on p. 142 of YS, it references situational modifiers as being on p. 214, there are no situational modifiers on this page, just other skills complementing or restricting...which is a somewhat different thing.

Actually, that page 214 reference is to clarify the use of the word "modify", not to point at situational modifiers. Hm. I'll see what can be done there.

... Yeah, there may just not be a situation where where there's supposed to be any kind of page reference. More digging ahead, but I'll suss it out.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:52:44 AM by iago »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 02:59:43 AM »
I've taken care of everything up to this point. Deadmanwalking, great job! I think I may leave the Carlos thing as it is, though, because... well, because Carlos is special, and I'm sure he's managed to charm his GM into house-ruling that.

Thanks. I do try.

And I was actually suggesting making it general policy, not changing Carlos.  :)

Something in the margins of Refinement allowing one to take one specialty and one item slot is perfectly balanced, after all.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 03:00:10 AM »
YS p. 330, when discussing upgrading NPCs, the suggested skill pyramid for Tim is just plain wrong in almost every possible way (1 Great, 2 Fair, 5 Average…to match a 25 point skill list…to equal Feet in the Water Characters). His suggested Refresh also ignores Tim’s Pure Mortal bonus.

Here, with the skills, you're missing that the ones listed are the *open slots* on the sheet (I've added clarifying language) after the 12 point already shown as spent are taken out of the 25.
Fred Hicks

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 03:04:17 AM »
Here, with the skills, you're missing that the ones listed are the *open slots* on the sheet (I've added clarifying language) after the 12 point already shown as spent are taken out of the 25.

Oh! That does indeed explain that, though the other stuff still applies.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2010, 03:18:12 AM »
Thanks. I do try.

And I was actually suggesting making it general policy, not changing Carlos.  :)

Something in the margins of Refinement allowing one to take one specialty and one item slot is perfectly balanced, after all.

Marginalia-ized! (Marginalized?)
Fred Hicks

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 03:42:42 AM »
Minor nitpick in the section on the Erlking, it says he has Fairy Queen level power. However when asked about the Erlking's power in relationship to Mab Jim said.
I mean, sure, the Erlking is a peer of Mab's--but there's kind of a reason that it's /Mab/ who rules the Worst of the Worst in Faerie, and not the Erlking.
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 04:07:19 AM »
Minor nitpick in the section on the Erlking, it says he has Fairy Queen level power. However when asked about the Erlking's power in relationship to Mab Jim said.

So, two boxers step into the ring. They're both heavyweights. One of them is Mike Tyson. Does that mean the other guy isn't a heavyweight all of a sudden?
Fred Hicks