Author Topic: Just Got the Book: Question about Fetches and Mirrors  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Just Got the Book: Question about Fetches and Mirrors
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:45:08 AM »
So, I just got the book, and I was talking to a friend on the phone about character creation, and he's interested in playing a Changeling. Types of Fae were brought up and he expressed interest in playing the child of a Fetch, and we got to talking about what powers they have. Recalling Proven Guilty I mentioned the ability to travel through mirrors, and then found the sta block for Fetches...which had no mention of this ability.

So, is it a quirk and reflection of all supernaturals' ability to travel through areas that resonate with them? Or is it something more like Swift Transition or Worldwalker that you'd need to pay for?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Just Got the Book: Question about Fetches and Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
So, is it a quirk and reflection of all supernaturals' ability to travel through areas that resonate with them? Or is it something more like Swift Transition or Worldwalker that you'd need to pay for?

Right, it's a quirk/reflection of the implicit ability of supernaturals to open ways through to the Nevernever in places which they have an "affinity" to.  For Fetches, it'd be mirrors. For lust-vampires, it'd be strip clubs. Etc!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
We meant to imply this in the Worldwalker ability's notes text:
Notes: This is another “extrapolated” ability, not documented in Harry’s casefiles, but pretty well supported by theory. It’s already true that many supernatural creatures can cross over into the Nevernever in places that share an affinity with their kind (such as the White Court ability to step into and out of the Nevernever at strip clubs and brothels), so it seems reasonable that someone with a little bit of latent magic ability would be able to manifest a similar kind of affinity.
... but I'm going to add some more marginalia near that ability to make it even clearer. 
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »
We meant to imply this in the Worldwalker ability's notes text:... but I'm going to add some more marginalia near that ability to make it even clearer. 

You might even make the World-walker ability the way for a player to do it 'safely' (maybe as an optional thing).  I'm loving the thought that someone on the magical side of things might do it accidentally... juicy, juicy compel there.  B-)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:15:51 PM by SaintAndSinner »
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »
You might even make the World-walker ability the way for a player to do it 'safely' (maybe as an optional thing).  I'm loving the thought that someone on the magical side of things might do it accidentally... juicy, juicy compel there.  B-)

Yeah, that's definitely part of the intention there. World-walkers can open ways everywhere instead of just specific places, and can do it reliably, consistently.  (Even wizards, who don't need world-walking, run some risks when they cast a ritual spell to rip open a way.)
Fred Hicks

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
Yeah, that's definitely part of the intention there. World-walkers can open ways everywhere instead of just specific places, and can do it reliably, consistently.  (Even wizards, who don't need world-walking, run some risks when they cast a ritual spell to rip open a way.)

I get that but I've read this what five or six times over. Looking at it with my friend who wasn't in on the playtest it wasn't as clear to him. Don't want to overwhelm things but just more food for thought.
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:14:43 PM »
Oh, absolutely. I do agree it's a killer plot hook. :)
Fred Hicks