Author Topic: The Preorder  (Read 10774 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: The Preorder
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 04:44:42 AM »
So, are we talking like 12:01 AM Monday, noon, what? Because I really need this before heading in to work and if I'm sitting there reading it during the game after work my ST will kill me.

It'll depend partly on when I can get my ass in place to flip the switch. Let's say mid-morning Monday, though that could run a couple hours in either direction depending on when I'm at the keys.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »
Is there any possibility of a 'PDF only' preorder? In general the members of my play group will be (pre- for some of them)ordering your (clearly sexily wonderful) books with an eye to, you know, the books themselves, but I personally have a much easier time working with digital information. In my case the physical books would be only sitting on a shelf utterly neglected, and that seems a sad state of affairs for tomes that could easily find home with another fan.

You might also consider this another vote for a 'printer friendly' version of the document someday (although it'd still be on my screen; paper is just harder for me to read comfortably than LCDs).

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 02:44:02 PM »
Is there any possibility of a 'PDF only' preorder? In general the members of my play group will be (pre- for some of them)ordering your (clearly sexily wonderful) books with an eye to, you know, the books themselves, but I personally have a much easier time working with digital information. In my case the physical books would be only sitting on a shelf utterly neglected, and that seems a sad state of affairs for tomes that could easily find home with another fan.

Not right away, no. To open up the hood and talk about the business particulars, we need some time during which the PDF is an exclusive benefit of preordering the books so we can both boost revenue to pay for the print run and reduce our inventory levels (which helps when next year's tax time rolls around).  The stand-alone PDF will likely go on sale closer to when the books ship.

You might also consider this another vote for a 'printer friendly' version of the document someday (although it'd still be on my screen; paper is just harder for me to read comfortably than LCDs).

We'll consider it for sure, but that particular line of thought hasn't reached a point of conclusion yet.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Cripple X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 02:46:35 PM »
How long is the pre-order going to be available? I may need a bit of time to scrape up funds.  ;)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
How long is the pre-order going to be available? I may need a bit of time to scrape up funds.  ;)

We'll run it for at least a month, if not all the way through to shipment.
Fred Hicks

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
It'll depend partly on when I can get my ass in place to flip the switch. Let's say mid-morning Monday, though that could run a couple hours in either direction depending on when I'm at the keys.

Do you have some flexible server capacity?  Have you discussed load issues with you provider?  I could easily see the site going poof in about 0.00001 seconds after you flip the switch...  ;)
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
Do you have some flexible server capacity?  Have you discussed load issues with you provider?  I could easily see the site going poof in about 0.00001 seconds after you flip the switch...  ;)

We migrated to a high-CPU usage server recently, and I don't think the bandwidth usage will be what kills us here. So, fingers crossed. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
We migrated to a high-CPU usage server recently, and I don't think the bandwidth usage will be what kills us here. So, fingers crossed. :)

There is a huge pent-up demand for this game.  I think the order volume will stun you...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:12:01 PM by ludomaniac »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »
There is a huge pent-up demand for this game.  I think the order volume will stun you...

This is a problem I would be happy to have, it's true.
Fred Hicks

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
This is a problem I would be happy to have, it's true.
I think just about every product maker in the world hopes for that problem. lol  ;D I'm actually kinda worried though. I have school monday and if it isnt out in the morning before i go to school i'm worried it might be sold out or something by the time i get home.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 06:28:55 PM »
I think just about every product maker in the world hopes for that problem. lol  ;D I'm actually kinda worried though. I have school monday and if it isnt out in the morning before i go to school i'm worried it might be sold out or something by the time i get home.

If we sell out of 3000 copies of the game on the first day... I'll get more printed.
Fred Hicks

Offline Cripple X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 06:30:01 PM »
Well prepare to be happy, sir. I think ludomaniac is right. 

I cannot tell you how long I've been waiting for this? My favorite roleplaying system combined with my favorite book series? Frankly, I'm ecstatic.  I'm in negotiations, right now, to sell a kidney on the black market to jump on the pre-order. Granted I can't base the projected number of pre-orders on my own excitement, but I've talked to several folks around here who seem excited as well. Plus, Both the Dresden Files and Evil Hat have loyal followings, and some of those people, like myself, fall into both camps.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the number of pre-orders.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
If we sell out of 3000 copies of the game on the first day... I'll get more printed.
I think it could happen, no, i think it will  ;D and i hope it does. I just want one of them lol
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »

If you sell out on the first day, I can expect one or two actions from JB,

1) JB goes, "Damn...."

2) JB makes a reference to the RPG in a future book. Something like, "Last year the Alphas were working on this Role-Playing Game of theirs. I heard it was quite popular..."
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »
I think people may be being overly optimistic. Selling out on the first day seems unlikely (even if I am going to be buying my copy then). The first week, now? That's a bit more plausible. Sold out before the official release date? That actually sounds extremely likely. Just my two cents.