Author Topic: Character Intro  (Read 4636 times)

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
Re: Character Intro
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
The day started out average, but I knew something was wrong when the guy teleported into my office.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 06:35:25 PM »
Muahahahhahaha i am an evil genius. finally figured out a way to introduce magic into my story with out making it forced or dumb sounding.

one word ladies and gentlemen: Gremlins.

more accurately trying to remove gremlins from your tv or stereo with out blowing it up.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »
more accurately trying to remove gremlins from your tv or stereo with out blowing it up.

You are aware that gremlins were made up out of whole cloth as a propaganda exercise, yes ?

By Roald Dahl.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

mythcantor

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 02:34:06 AM »
You are aware that gremlins were made up out of whole cloth as a propaganda exercise, yes ?

By Roald Dahl.
Actually Dahl wrote the book (thank you Wikipedia), but the stories of gremlins has preceded his writing.  By about 18 years, actually.  They were part of RAF lore before he wrote it, and inherited into the US Air Force.  To this day, there are still believers in it, my uncle being one of them.  The story of tricksters messing with aircraft and causing high-altitude failures that were otherwise inexplicable was popular because of the isolation one felt up there.

Patricia Briggs has a good explanation of a gremlin in her Mercedes Thompson books as being just a modern name for a much more ancient metalworking fae who can touch Iron unlike normal fae.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 04:57:57 AM »
yeah they are my reason why tech fails around mages, because the gremlins are drawn to their magic and just start mucking with things.

mythcantor

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »
yeah they are my reason why tech fails around mages, because the gremlins are drawn to their magic and just start mucking with things.

You could do the same thing with pixies, ghosts, fairies, too.  Sounds good.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »
well the gremlins were an epic fail, just couldn't get the tone right for the plot and it just became slapstick which was not what i was going for. so they have been scrubed for now might use them again later for some comic effect.

so now i am left with a modern day necromancer good guy with a very slim introduction that takes place in at a funeral for one of his clients. he hates funerals and falls asleep in one of the pue's and gets woken up by a freaky dream that is not a dream. that's all i got so far.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »
Muahahahhahaha i am an evil genius. finally figured out a way to introduce magic into my story with out making it forced or dumb sounding.

You might want to check out the TV movie - CAST A DEADLY SPELL.  It's Mike Hammer meets HP Lovecraft.  Actually quite good.
In it, someone is dealing, not too well, with Gremlins.  (At least I think they're Gremlins) Fat little obscene winged critters that moon you and chew on wires.  Also fart a lot.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 07:29:20 PM »
hmm sounds interesting where could i get that show.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 07:32:41 PM »
Dead Like Me also uses gremlins fairly successfully.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 07:14:44 AM »
hmm sounds interesting where could i get that show.

It's a made for TV movie staring Fred Ward, David Warner, Julianne Moore, and Clancy Brown.  Originally HBO put it out in 1991.
I have it on video but I believe that it's on DVD too. 
You might try Amazon or Netflix.

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 02:17:28 AM »

By Roald Dahl.

Nope, not completely. Look up the term "Coranied".
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.